What is a fair price for this stone?
Is it rare?
Would be great to have a few replies.

Ty

img_13014.jpg

LadyMCh

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Maybe try looking for comps on Diamonds by Lauren and Leibish?

Kanwal

Rough_Rock
Trade
Ty, it is good to learn from these sites.

ChristineRose

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Kanwal|1476366147|4086613 said:
What is a fair price for this stone?
Ty

A lot.

Kanwal|1476366147|4086613 said:
Is it rare?
Ty

Yes.

Stones like this are so rare that there really aren't any comparables, and very slight differences can make a big difference in price. It's one of a kind--it's worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

There are many kinds of cushions and you can't tell anything about cut type from the certificate.
The thick girdle is an indication that the cutter was trying to preserve weight, but stones this rare are always cut to preserve weight.
The extra facets are another sign that the cutter was saving weight, and are also proof that the stone is a natural green. Extra facets were generally considered a mark of a good cutter in the past.
Fancy Intense Green is very desirable, but there are a lot of possible shades that would still be Fancy Intense Green. Brown or grey overtones would make it much less desirable.

If you really want to know what it is worth, you will need to send it to an expert.

bcavitt

Shiny_Rock
Trade
This seems like a silly question, but your account is marked as a "Trade" member. If this is so, why are you asking us?

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
bcavitt|1476469248|4087097 said:
This seems like a silly question, but your account is marked as a "Trade" member. If this is so, why are you asking us?

At least back in the day, all new accounts were marked as trade by default and you had to edit your profile to remove it.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi,
Can you please post a picture of the stone itself?

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For those wondering (since the color is not uniform throughout) why GIA describes this stone's color distribution -- or that of other colored diamonds -- as even, Leibish provides a quick explanation of the criteria for even and uneven on this page:
http://www.leibish.com/the-gia-colored-diamond-grading-report-part-2-article-495

More info supplied by the Trade members who contributed to this thread (Tom Gelb used to head up the colored diamonds department of GIA's NYC lab; wouldn't it be great if he resumed contributing posts here):
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/pros-what-is-even-color-distribution.156686/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/pros-what-is-even-color-distribution.156686/[/URL]

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The photo shows the range of pure green diamonds with various GIA terminology applied. Green is the most difficult to render on a computer screen with accuracy, but for what its worth, I thought it might prove helpful. This diamond you have found is certainly a rare one and is on the lighter end of "intense" from the way it looks in the video. It is definitely cut to retain weight. One would hope it is faceted and proportioned in a way to enhance the color intensity. However, it may be that the cutting and the color intensity could be further improved by some corrective cutting, but that's a possibility, but not based on any apparent facts presented. It would take an expert cutter to know what might be done and if there would be any improvement.

green_dia_range_color.jpg

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It's important to remember that the color green itself is far less bright in nature then the color yellow. For this reason a diamond rated fancy Intense green will not be as saturated as a diamond graded fancy intense yellow to the eye. The color itself is just not as bright.
In terms of the cut: a pure fancy intense green is such a incredibly rare diamond, I would be far more inclined to assume that whoever cut it, and got that grade knew exactly what they were doing. It's not likely that there are 10 fancy intense green diamonds available in the world today. I don't believe Fancy Vivid Green exists. Can't say for sure but it's unlikely. I'm referring to pure green with no modifiers.

The price of the fancy intense green diamond referred to here could easily be half a million.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It could also be 1/10 of that.

Routinely the way this sort of thing sells is at auction. Real auction, not ebay, and there are lots of variables. Are you a buyer or a seller? How's the economy doing in China on the date your sale comes up? How's the weather on your sale date? Is it pretty? If you're looking for one and the price is too high, would you rather bid more or wait until another one shows up, which may be years or even decades? Anything interesting in the provenance (the ownership history)? Asking strangers who haven't seen the stone and who know nothing about the marketplace (if nothing else because you haven't said what the market even is) is a bad methodology for coming up with a value.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I disagree Neil. Although stones like this do sell at auction, I would say more frequently cutters or dealers are selling the stones. Maybe our different ideas could be due to our different positions within the industry – I am seeing a lot of diamonds being shown by cutters, while you may be paying more attention to auctions.
I could not envision a dealer, or a cutter offering a pure fancy intense green diamond of 1 carat for $50,000.
Having said all that, I am by no means offering on this diamond, and I am not guaranteeing the value in anyway shape or form. But based on the market, that is going to be one expensive diamond.
It would be hard to imagine someone owning this diamond, and placing it in a no reserve auction.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The only place I can subscribe to offering any clue of asking prices for such stones indicates one of this description having a value within the trade of under $70,000p/c. Generally, I find this source somewhat inflated, but here we have a very rare stone where the number of asking prices may be only one or two in the world. Rockdiamond likely knows how the dealers would react to such once in a lifetime rarity, but only a very few would put their money into such a diamond and those very few investor-dealers know more than anyone who just is an observer, even if they buy and sell the more common fancy colors.

I as an appraiser, and most any other buyer or appraiser, would be deeply concerned about the effect of the "strong UV fluorescence" on such a rare stone. What will UV do to the appearance of the color? That might have quite an effect of the way the diamond looks. It won't mean the stone isn't rare, but it has to look good to hold tons of value and to be marketable.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Rockdiamond|1476623218|4087620 said:
I could not envision a dealer, or a cutter offering a pure fancy intense green diamond of 1 carat for $50,000.

It would be hard to imagine someone owning this diamond, and placing it in a no reserve auction.
We haven't the slightest hint that either of these is the situation we're talking about. We just don't know.

I can certainly envision a dealer offering $50k to buy it for example. I can even imagine dealers refusing to buy it for that because it's too expensive and they don't want to take the risk. Frankly, I think most dealers would take this position.

Who said anything about no reserve?

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Neil- due to me being one of the luckiest guys on the planet, I get the opportunity to buy and sell stones that are incredibly rare on a regular basis. Things like red diamonds. Blue diamonds. And green diamonds. Cutters bring them to us pretty much on a daily basis which is how I derive my market info.
I agree that if a diamond is very ugly, it's much more difficult to sell then a diamond of the same grade that's pretty.
Having said that: in cases of ultra rare stones like this, strong florescence will not impact the value based solely on the virtue of its presence. Again, I do agree if the florescence makes the stone ugly, that will hinder the price. I could say that cut is the same thing. When we get an inquiry for a super rare stone, and the person stipulates cut parameters (like a requirement for very good /Ex symmetry and polish for example) I have to inform them that that's not how you buy such a stone. Projection of color, and overall appearance are far more important in these super rare diamonds.
I think you misunderstood my $50,000 comment. What I meant was that I cannot imagine a dealer who possessed a stone of one carat, that was graded fancy intense green by GIA, offering such a stone for a price as low as $50,000. I could easily imagine someone making an offer to buy it for $50,000. But I don't think the offer would be accepted.
The type of company that owns a diamond like this is generally not a company with weak financial position. I'm not saying it can't happen, and it might be much more common in the future. But at this point, that's my view of the market. My guess would be that the owner of this Diamond is asking a stratospheric price for it. But hey, I could be mistaken… It has happened once or twice in the past… LOL

More to the point I can see Neil's point - trying to assign a value to something so rare requires a great deal of guesswork

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results