shape
carat
color
clarity

Insurance Questions (US)

tara3056

Shiny_Rock
Anyone have any advice on insuring colored stones such that, in the event of a loss, the insurance company doesn't get to replace my lost stone with one of "like" kind/quality? I'm aware that Chubb used to (do they still?) offer one of the only cash-out policies, but I've read they no longer offer individual insurance policies on jewelry?

I spoke with Amica, who provides my car and homeowner's policies, and they told me they have a jeweler they work with to provide replacements and repairs. In the event that they couldn't replace or repair the item, then and only then would they cut a check. I suppose you could also argue with them about what constitutes like quality and kind, but obviously avoiding that would be good. With certain colored stones, like Namibian spess which is all but entirely gone from the market, I can just see having to argue with them over why Nigerian spess is NOT an acceptable replacement. I imagine with other stones, like Mahenge spinels and such, this would also be a big issue.

Amica also insisted on me getting an appraisal. Do you know of any companies that will accept bills of sale instead? I live in a semi-small area am highly doubtful that I'd find an appraiser around here that knows even the slightest thing about colored stones. And I definitely don't want inflated appraisals like I've gotten in the past... that just drives up my premiums. I just want my stuff insured for what I paid for it, with possible automatic increases each year for inflation. In the event I lost something and my insurance payout wasn't enough to cover purchasing a new stone (like with Mahenge, as the prices continue to rise), I'd still sleep better at night knowing I'd at least get back what I'd put into the item, even if I couldn't exactly replace it.

The sheer cost of getting everything appraised is enough to put me off of insuring my stuff. I have maybe 4 items I would like insured, and they cost 3k or less, each. But a local appraiser quoted me $125/per item, or $500 total, to appraise my stuff. Getting insured is looking expensive!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
My local appraiser is actually about 2 hours away, and charges about $100 per item. I have only one item insured - my mom's diamond ring. I cannot remember who it is that is THE colored stone appraiser in the United States, but I'm sure someone will chime in. I plan on mailing some of my items to him at some point, but I'm not quite there yet.

I use Jeweler's Mutual btw. My mom's diamond (1.5ct princess) was appraised around $14k and costs us $85 per year to insure.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I feel your pain when it comes to appraising and insuring coloured stones. It is more complicated than diamonds. Does Jewelry Mutual still offer standalone cash out insurance plans? I think they are sometimes advertised as Perfect Circle on Pricescope.

The like and kind quality means all is not lost. You just have to make sure every littlest detail is in black and white so there is no assumption and no confusion. You will need more than just a gem brief information such as ct weight, measurement, generic colour and treatment. Unless you get a full AGL prestige report, you will not get such detailed information from any other lab report and will need the services of an independent appraiser who understands coloured stones and can give you these extra information. Neither method is inexpensive.

1. EXACT description and breakdown of colour quality i.e. hue, tone and saturation levels such as vB5/5 and explanation of what it means such as violetish blue hue, medium dark tone and strong saturation.
2. Quality and fine-ness of colour and the gem itself.
3. If origin is rare, then specify that it is from Mahenge, Namibia, Burmese, Russia and etc. An explanation will go a long way too.
4. If precision cut, this must be included in the appraisal! You don't want to end up with a windowed lopsided stone, right?

Bill of sale will tell you very little, only how much you paid. The insurance company will not pay out the amount you insured it for nor the amount you paid for the stone. They will pay out what they estimate a like and kind quality stone is going to cost you so either way, you are going to need all the above information I wrote about earlier.

Richard Sherwood used to be a coloured stone appraiser often highly recommended here but he has since shifted his focus elsewhere. OldMiner is another top notch apprasier as well. $100 to $150 seems standard.
http://datlas.com/fees

Tara,
Would you consider self insuring? Put aside the same amount of money that you will be paying your insurance premiums and appraisal towards your self insurance. After X amount of time, you often end up either ahead or equal to the payout. The caveat is that you need to be careful with your items (bank vault, home safe, wear with care, don't misplace things, etc). If it is something you want to wear with zero worry at all times, then this might not be the right option for you. Insurance is a game of risk. The insurance company is in this business banking on nothing happening to the items you insured.

tara3056

Shiny_Rock
Chrono, I think I will be self-insuring just as you describe. If *one* of my pieces got lost, I could "eat" the loss and manage to replace it (if I could find like kind/quality) without it being a huge financial burden. I am light on jewelry, careful with my pieces, and I work from home, so I'm not even out in the general public as much as most people are. My only big concern is in the event of a break-in where a thief could take my entire collection - THAT, I could not afford to replace. So I think the answer might be to look into more secure storage options like a home safe. In a way, that sounds like less hassle and would probably also be cheaper in the long run than going with traditional insurance. I don't have a vast collection, and *when* I wear jewelry (i.e. not when I'm schlubbing around the house in yoga pants), I keep most of my pieces in regular rotation, so a bank vault isn't a good option for me.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Tara, I just saw your question in another forum about the IDJ jackets and pendant - sorry to have missed it! :oops: You may have already gotten your answers, but if not, let me know and I'll try to get photos for you.

Apologies for being completely off topic in your thread, but wanted to make sure you saw my post.

tara3056

Shiny_Rock
Cellentani, thanks so much for replying on my thread! I did get most of the answers I was looking for and my pendant is currently in the process of being made! I would STILL love to see a pic comparing the 3 pointers in your earring jackets vs the 5 pointers in your pendant, but I know taking pics can be a pain.

I decided to go with a pendant made to hold a 0.75ct stone, but then use a smaller 0.60ct stone and have it bezeled to fit inside the center section, to match my earrings which also use bezeled center studs inside the jackets. I'm using the 5 point melee and platinum for the metals ... I think 10 pt/ea would just be too cluster-y and would take away from my center stone. Very excited to see it, but I think it will be about 3 more weeks...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results