shape
carat
color
clarity

Instructional video for DIY flowers!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

So_happy

Brilliant_Rock
I stumbled upon these instructional videos on videojug.com and they clearly explain and show how to make your own bouquet, corsages, centerpieces, bouts, and even kissing balls (I think that''s what they''re called)!! The corsage video really surprised me..........I had no idea it would take that many steps!

staceybelle

Rough_Rock
You are awesome! Thank you!

So_happy

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you, Stacybelle :) I figured some of us on here could really use that visual!

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for this link! My stupid work computer isn''t letting me view but I''m looking fwd to watching it at home. I also have some sites that I''ll add on how to make bouquets. I haven''t tried it yet but it sounds doable.

So_happy

Brilliant_Rock
Dixie~ They are short, 2-3 minute segments that get right down to business. I swear, just SEEING it done really increases my confidence in this project. I can't wait to hear what you have to say about the centerpieces she does! They're really great IMO :)

You were already considering making your own bouquet, yes? I am now wondering if I could do it too......in which case I'd probably stick with roses as they seem to be quite hardy.......

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
I am considering doing all my own flowers, although the centerpieces will just be some floating flowers and floating candles so that should be easy. I know a lot of people say it's a lot of trouble but it just doesn't seem that bad.
Too bad I can't leave work early to view the video.. what a drag!

I went to proflowers.com and really liked the Romantic Roses but the packages were a bit costly for me. I'm still trying to find purple flowers but may compromise w/pinks and purples or just pinks depending on what flowers I can find.

I'll attach those sites when I get home too for all of us DIYers.

ETA: the flowers that I like the most from costco are Ranunculus and Anemones which I know nothing about so we'll see...

So_happy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/27/2007 2:47:41 PM
Author: dixie94
I am considering doing all my own flowers, although the centerpieces will just be some floating flowers and floating candles so that should be easy. I know a lot of people say it''s a lot of trouble but it just doesn''t seem that bad.
Too bad I can''t leave work early to view the video.. what a drag!

I went to proflowers.com and really liked the Romantic Roses but the packages were a bit costly for me. I''m still trying to find purple flowers but may compromise w/pinks and purples or just pinks depending on what flowers I can find.

I''ll attach those sites when I get home too for all of us DIYers.

ETA: the flowers that I like the most from costco are Ranunculus and Anemones which I know nothing about so we''ll see...
Did you see the rose package at Sam''s Club? (they don''t come arranged tho).

lavendar/white roses

These are in the running, too.......

For my cocktail reception, I''ll only have 6 48" tables so I''ll want about 12 roses per centerpiece on those (the tables that seat 12 comfortably are 72" and 10 comfortably at 60"rounds if that gives you an idea of the size). Then I have 10 small 30" tables which will only require something even small. And I mean, literally, tossing them in some square cube vase (you''ll see that video and understand
31.gif
) and be done. To incorporate my green color, I could put some hyperbium (sp?) berries in there or even bear grass like the video and I''ve got my color coordinated centerpieces.

If I do my own bouquet, I''d want to have a flower that is more relaxed in shape and more free. Rose bouguets, to me, always seem like they come out like smooth globes and I need more room for error than that. Either I need very open roses (ooh....peonies....i only wish!!) or a flower that''s not as contained. Like the hybrid lilies. THe lilles simply look as if you could literally grab them in one hand and then tie a pretty ribbon around the stems and they''d look messy and lovely the way they are. With roses, they really need to be evened out almost all around. I sound insane, but do you know what I mean?

sparkel

Shiny_Rock
That is a really neat link!

In all honesty though I watched the one on corsages and she makes that look WAY easier than it actually is. The dexterity that is required in your hands to manipulate the floral tape so that it stretches just right is much more complicated than it appears. I found it very neat to see how another person does corsages because everyone develops their own technique over time!

Thanks for the link,
:) Rebecca

So_happy

Brilliant_Rock
Sparkel~ I think I would rather give our mothers small hand tied bouquets than make those corsages! I could tell by the way she was spinning those things that she had done it a billion times and the ease with which she made it reflected much practice :)

So_happy

Brilliant_Rock
Hey! How great are you?! I think we should either build on or begin a new thread entiled "Resources for DIY flowers" or somethign like that!

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/27/2007 3:10:13 PM
Author: So_happy

Did you see the rose package at Sam''s Club? (they don''t come arranged tho).

lavendar/white roses

These are in the running, too.......

For my cocktail reception, I''ll only have 6 48'' tables so I''ll want about 12 roses per centerpiece on those (the tables that seat 12 comfortably are 72'' and 10 comfortably at 60''rounds if that gives you an idea of the size). Then I have 10 small 30'' tables which will only require something even small. And I mean, literally, tossing them in some square cube vase (you''ll see that video and understand
31.gif
) and be done. To incorporate my green color, I could put some hyperbium (sp?) berries in there or even bear grass like the video and I''ve got my color coordinated centerpieces.

If I do my own bouquet, I''d want to have a flower that is more relaxed in shape and more free. Rose bouguets, to me, always seem like they come out like smooth globes and I need more room for error than that. Either I need very open roses (ooh....peonies....i only wish!!) or a flower that''s not as contained. Like the hybrid lilies. THe lilles simply look as if you could literally grab them in one hand and then tie a pretty ribbon around the stems and they''d look messy and lovely the way they are. With roses, they really need to be evened out almost all around. I sound insane, but do you know what I mean?
I did see those at Sam''s but I''m not a huge fan of lavender. I wish I could find more purple flowers in the darker shades. But I think I will re-look at all the flower places and write down my favorites b/c I keep forgetting what I like and who has what.
I like the bear grass a lot, assuming it''s what I''m thinking of.. still need to watch the video! Sounds like your centerpieces are definitely diy friendly and I think mine will be too.. snip a few flowers, a few floating candles and I''m done.
I love peonies too! I find that I prefer the spring flowers more which is why I was so thrilled w/Costco b/c they really carry a lot of varieties of flowers that I can''t find elsewhere but I just wish they''d stop w/the assorted colors thing. That is annoying!
I understand what you mean about the roses needing to be shaped and look like they''d take more time to arrange, although for a centerpiece, I still think the roses would be easy enough. For a bouquet, I just figure it would take a bit longer but I still think if you block out a couple of hours w/some friends, it''s manageable. Again, I may be fooling myself but we''ll see!

I agree we should create a new thread, mainly b/c I keep going back and forth between this one and the lily one
1.gif
I think I am going to have to buy some flowers soon and see if this really is ok to diy. I figured I''d just buy from the grocery store to get a feel of making the bouqets myself, even though it prob. wouldn''t be the same flower. Maybe I''ll try w/roses and see how that goes.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results