shape
carat
color
clarity

Input on metal choice for ring

hollyns

Rough_Rock
I'm looking for some recommendations on metal choice for an engagement ring. I was planning to get rose gold, but my boyfriend does not think rings look like engagement rings if they are rose gold, so it is back to the drawing board for me. I'm extremely pale so yellow gold doesn't look very good. I don't like the idea of having to have white gold replated all the time, and since I won't be getting a ring from People's Jewellers in the local mall, I don't think there is anywhere available locally to have it done. I had it narrowed down to platinum but I've been reading on here that it dents easily. My job can be very hands-on so I'm worried I will end up with a very banged up ring.

Please help :( and I would like to apologize for all of my uninformed questions with probably more to come when it comes to choosing a stone. Everyone here has been super helpful and I wish I could return the favour. Unfortunately I don't have much jewelry knowledge to share but if anyone has any questions about highland dance or water treatment, I'm your girl.

Q

Queenie60

Since you like rose gold and he likes white metals - maybe you can get a two toned ring, depending on the stone and the style of setting you choose. For white metal I would recommend platinum. It does scratch however when polished you do not loose any of the metal. Scratches polish out quite easily. Good luck and post pictures of your ring when finished. :wavey:

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The ring in my avatar has a rose gold shank with an unplated white gold head. I am also fairly pale and love my ring on my skin!

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ditto Queenie's comments re: platinum. Also, there are white gold alloys that do not require replating; ask your jeweler (when you settle on one) if they offer that for your preferred setting. And there is always unplated white gold, which is lovely as well!

I LOVE rose gold; however, I do not love it on me, as it blends into my skin tone too much. Have you tried on any rose gold jewelry to see how it looks on your skin tone? If not, I might suggest you try to do that before you commit to it, especially for an engagement ring. :wavey:

FightGravity

Shiny_Rock
I have platinum rings, am hard on my hands, and no dents. It definitely has a patina, though, and does not stay perfectly shiny for long. Some alloys of platinum are harder than others, so you might look into getting a tougher one.

If you really want rose gold, get rose gold! Plenty engagement-Y :)

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Has he seen rose gold in person? Especially as viewed on a computer, rose can look much pinker than reality.Depending on the alloy and, it can be shocking pink to a very mellow warmer yellow. So, have a look at some ring in rose, especially vintage pieces with a patina.

Here are two images of the same ring. One is on a white background and one on a black. Really changes the look. I can't get the images, but here is the link.
http://www.historicroyalpalaces.com/jewellery/rings-117/18ct-yellow-and-rose-gold-tree-of-life-eternity-ring.html

This one is 18k: https://www.etsy.com/listing/100648197/antique-18k-rose-gold-engraved-wedding?ref=tre-2723225528-14

hollyns

Rough_Rock
He has seen rose gold in person. I wear a rose gold ring on my right hand regularly, and tried one on at a local jewelry store last week with him. I think he has an image in his head that an engagement ring has to look exactly like the one his mom has.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When guys come here with ideas like that, we do our very best to remind them that the ring is for someone else, and their preferences are most important!!! Would he like it if you chose his next car and he didn't get to choose what he likes best? Try that and maybe he can get the right idea!

That said, platinum is a metal that will last for generations when cared for properly. Gold does wear away over time. There are two harder alloys of platinum, and that is what you need to request if you go with platinum:

95% platinum and 5% ruthenium

90% platinum and 10% iridium

(The softest alloy is also probably the most common, and I avoid it when possible for a ring...95% plat/5%iridium.)

I have platinum rings and definitely do not have any dents! But what kind of work do you do that involves your hands? Because honestly, there are some jobs that people just shouldn't wear their rings if they could be damaged (like construction workers, ceramic and sculpture artists, delivery person handling heavy packages all day, etc.) In those cases, either no rings or a stand-in ring such as a tungsten band could be worn.

Welcome to PS! :wavey: Questions like yours are exactly what we are here for!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results