shape
carat
color
clarity

Inherited some emeralds, any help with value?

jnl123

Rough_Rock
I inherited some emeralds from my grandfather. I asked my jeweler, who confirmed they are Colombian emeralds, what the value should be, but he wasn't 100% on the value because he said they weren't high end and had a lot of inclusions. My understanding is emeralds are a completely different ball game than diamonds. Can anyone guesstimate the value of these guys?

The cushion cut is 27 carats, one of the pear cuts is 19.5 carats, the other pear is 18.5 carats and the smallest one is 10 carats. dscn2453.jpg dscn2454.jpg dscn2452.jpg dscn2455.jpg

Thanks guys!

GregS

Brilliant_Rock
Depending on the treatment level the massive 27 ct. cushion may be worth quite a bit. The rest don't appear to be any where near as nice in terms of color and clarity.

I'm in no way an expert but if it was my stone Id want to know the treatment level. If it is untreated then I'd want to have it oiled which may drastically improve its appearance. If it was oiled it was probably a long time ago, and it's due to be redone. Being so massive at 27 carats it might be worth recutting it, if it is deemed to be stable enough for a recut.

jnl123

Rough_Rock
Beyond sending the cushion cut to GIA is there any other way to tell (or get an idea) if it's treated? I know that to have an emerald graded by GIA would very expensive given the size of the emerald.

GregS

Brilliant_Rock
You may be able to find a local jeweler with a microscope and a good eye. They may be able to fill you in on any tratments. I understand your apprehension to spend hundreds of dollars to send it to a lab. If it comes back negative you wasted your money. But if you plan on selling it the adage "you have to spend money to make money" applies and you will want it to be certified by a reputable lab. Most recommend AGL.

jnl123

Rough_Rock
Just for fun let's say it's not treated and hasn't been oiled. What is the ball park value? My jeweler wouldn't give me a estimate. I understand why, but it's still frustrating. Then I could decided whether or not it's worth it to take a gamble.

jnl123

Rough_Rock
I'm not familiar with gemewizard, but thank you for running it through the program. Is the price the total price or per carat?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results