shape
carat
color
clarity

Information Gathering

VIK1NG0

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

I stumbled across this forum as I have begun my descent into the world of diamond acquisition, and have found its members to not only be incredibly knowledgeable, but supportive and friendly, so I figured I would take an opportunity to introduce myself as well as to ask a few questions that I have around the diamond purchasing process.

First, I am at the beginning of my journey and have a goal of finding a perfect diamond for an amazing woman that I am madly in love with. I am giving myself a time table of 6 - 8 months, so lots of time to learn more and to solicit help from those more knowledgeable than I.

Second, to date, I have steeped myself in everything 4 Cs and believe I have a decent foundation from which I can at least speak intelligently around some of the more basic differences but am struggling with trade-offs (i.e., size over color, or clarity over cut, etc). I have not yet gone to a jeweler to look at diamonds first hand, but I think that will be coming up soon as it will likely help me better understand some of the differences. I tend to over-analyze and can easily see myself spending days deciding whether I should get a wonderful diamond because of feathering that can only be seen at 20x.

Based on the research I have done so far, below are some of the parameters I feel comfortable working within:

Budget (for entire ring): $20K
Carat: ~1.6c
Cut: Brilliant Round AGS 000 (Equivalent to ACA H&A from WF)
Clarity: VS
Color: G
Setting: No idea and still have tons to learn here

I have found a few diamonds that fall within these parameters on WF, JA, GOG, and BG Diamonds, but as I said, I am not yet ready to pull the trigger before I get more comfortable with a few concepts. Specifically:

1) I see most diamonds on the secondary market (especially those around 1.5 - 2.0c are ~I/SI. I would prefer to get a better than average quality diamond, but I wonder if it would be worth it go a little larger to say a ~1.8c diamond and compromise by finding an eye clean and relatively white I (possibly with some fluorescence).

2) There is a lot of talk about whether certain diamonds are true H&A or near H&A. Since there is no universal standard, it is hard to justify additional investment because it is labeled as a H&A diamond. I am curious to hear about some experiences people on this board have had and whether some feel it is worth spending the extra dough from a performance perspective or whether it is really just for bragging rights.

3) Lastly, it is more of a request than a question. As I have stated, my budget is ~$20K, but I am not dead set on spending that amount. I would be more than happy to spend less if I find a comparable used diamond for a fraction of the price and I would also be happy if I find a much better used diamond but yet stay within my full budget. I am huge on value and is one of the reasons I have given myself so much time to research. My request to the board members is if anyone sees anything on the secondary market that fits the criteria I just mentioned, I would really appreciate it if you could shoot me a message to let me know.

Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance for everyone's help!

VIK1NG0

VIK1NG0

Rough_Rock
Thanks dazzle! This is a great reference piece and would be a great example of what I would be looking for :) That being said, while it is a pre-owned ring, I would essentially be paying retail for the diamond and getting the band included. See similar JA stone in the link below:

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...rat-h-color-vs2-clarity-ideal-cut-sku-1057314

For me to pull the trigger today, it would have to be a great deal on a used diamond (e.g., 50% - 60% off of retail). This link does make me wonder whether a one grade color difference is worth a few thousand $. Thanks for the reply!

Best,
VIK1NG0

dazzlerazzle

Shiny_Rock
I'm guessing this is a consignment piece for Grace - If I were you, I would at least contact her and see what price she/the seller would be willing to come down to and then go from there. That's the best time to negotiate - when you can easily walk away!

Glad to help in some way - good luck!

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Looks like a great diamond! Nice find

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
VIK1NG0|1478032973|4092740 said:
... I would essentially be paying retail for the diamond and getting the band included. See similar JA stone in the link below:

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...rat-h-color-vs2-clarity-ideal-cut-sku-1057314

For me to pull the trigger today, it would have to be a great deal on a used diamond (e.g., 50% - 60% off of retail). ...

Exactly. You don't get something for nothing, especially not a modern AGS 000 diamond of 1 or 1.5ct or more. The diamonds that you will find at your "50% - 60% off of retail" are NOT going to be today's modern H&A high color, high clarity, ASG 000 diamonds. They are going to be J/K color or lower, EGL graded, or not eye-clean SI clarity, or I1 clarity (which is a tough-sell to some but I'd take a great I1 anytime), or older or wonky cuts that look good but are not today's AGS 000 or GIA 3X. They will be sitting in pawn shops, in non-prestigious jewlery stores, at estate sales, maybe on ebay, and you are going to have to do the hunting yourself.

An owner can easily sell a great modern desirable H&A superideal to a Pricescope vendor through the Sell Your Diamonds under Resources tab, usually for wholesale. You'd have to outbid what a PS vendor offered. They can sell it through consignment any number of places, or they can contact any of the major PS vendors directly and quietly sell it to them and sometimes trade it in on an different diamond or other jewelry. Good Old Gold offers a buy-back policy, as do some of the other PS vendors.

The I color grade is ivory white to everyone who can easily distinguish tints. And the larger the diamond, the more it concentrates tint, too. Blue fluor only works when UV light is present, and it only helps the apparent face-up color. I own a .83cto OEC, I color with strong blue. It's very bright and white face-up, but after I got more familiar with diamonds, that OEC is definitely ivory from the side all of the time. Seeing tint and being bothered by it are 2 different things, though.

VIK1NG0

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the feedback Ada! I found it very helpful. I am definitely the type that would obsess with stats on a sheet so I think it would be incredibly helpful actually look at some stones to see what I can actually notice and what bothers me. Can I notice the difference between .2 carats moreso than a one grade shift in color or clarity? Which one bothers me more if I know I sacrificed on it? These are all questions that I am guessing are unique to each consumer and to whose answers I am looking forward to mining (pun intended)

All that being said, my preference ultimately isn't the one that matters, but I definitely want to get something high quality. Your comments about resale were questions that I also had and actually make me feel a little better about my upcoming purchase. While diamonds are not known for being a good investment, I am happy to hear that those diamonds that hold certain characteristics hold their value better than the average stone you will buy through a Brick and Mortar Retailer.

Best,
VIK1NG0

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Find out if your intended has a pinterest page, or encourage her to create one with engagement ring styles that she likes!

VIK1NG0

Rough_Rock
She unfortunately doesn't have pinterest and she has made it clear that she doesn't want to be involved in the decision making process, so I will be going old school with my sleuthing and paying attention to styles she wears now, phoning friends and family and taking into account her taste that I am aware of. I don't mind going this route as I kind of like trying to figure things out, but it definitely makes things a little more challenging :)

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Could she at least tell you what she hates? lololol... Beg her for that tidbit ;-)

VIK1NG0

Rough_Rock
One of the reasons I am hoping to lock her down is because she is almost as stubborn as I am :wall:

I think I am on my own for this one.

That being said, for now, because she tends to be a bit of a minimalist and is more traditional when it comes to anything romantic, I will be starting my search with a simple round brilliant cut solitaire with a thin pave band (yet to determine setting). I think she will appreciate the clean and simple lines. I am keeping my mind open on settings and will rely on her jewelry collection and friends/family to see how much I should deviate from that path, but if I have learned anything from reading stories, simpler is usually the better approach.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results