shape
carat
color
clarity

Indoor cats getting out of the house....

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Merlin got out of the house tonight. And he was terrified out there. Fortunately he's a yowler and I heard him running around outside screaming in fear. I ran after him in my nightgown in bare feet and with my broken ankle not caring about anything but getting him (not the first time I've run after a cat nearly naked, but the broken bone was new). That makes me 4 for 5 of my indoor cats I've accidentally let out of the house. My stomach always drops though the floor. Such a terrible feeling. Fortunately we've gotten all our cats back after they've gotten out and I know that I've been incredibly lucky in that. I feel like such a terrible momma.

Have your indoor cats ever gotten out?

Hera

Ideal_Rock
My first cat got out about two hours after I told my husband that he has to see the cat before he walks out the door. He was hit and killed and I found him in the middle of the road ;(

Now, we REALLY make sure that we have a visual eye on our kitty before we leave the house. He once almost got out when my mom was opening the door and he made a similar howl notifying us. I guess he's never gotten the memo that he needs to be stealthy and quiet instead of screaming "I'm freeeeeeeee" in cat meows!

GlamMosher

Shiny_Rock
My boy cat did. He used to be notorious for making a bid for freedom. One day we had got in the car (our kitchen door leads to the carport) and as I was reversing down the drive, we heard this yowling and banging. He was throwing himself at the door to get back in. hahaha poor Puss, he must have panicked thinking we weren't going to play the game of trying to get him back in. I did feel awful about it though, that I hadn't even seen him.

He is not quite so keen to get out now. :lol:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh Gypsy, I'm so glad you were able to get Merlin back inside before any harm came to him!

This happened to my mom and one of her cats and it was a terrible day plus before they were able to find him. Thank goodness they did. We have 4 cats and so far, knock wood, they haven't gotten outside. Sometimes we exercise them in the hall of our apt building with the laser light and they love that but I hate to think we might be contributing to their curiosity that one day might entice them to walk right out without us noticing! Though our cats are all rescues they wouldn't last too long outside IMO. They are spoiled rotten. ::)

Glad Merlin is back safe and sound Gypsy!

Lottie

Brilliant_Rock
heraanderson|1333528962|3163124 said:
My first cat got out about two hours after I told my husband that he has to see the cat before he walks out the door. He was hit and killed and I found him in the middle of the road ;(

Now, we REALLY make sure that we have a visual eye on our kitty before we leave the house. He once almost got out when my mom was opening the door and he made a similar howl notifying us. I guess he's never gotten the memo that he needs to be stealthy and quiet instead of screaming "I'm freeeeeeeee" in cat meows!

Thats really sad, I'm sorry to hear about your cat Heranderson.

Lottie

Brilliant_Rock
Our cat is now allowed out and has his own cat door, we kept him inside until he was six or seven months old because I wanted him to be neutered first. He used to wait at the bottom of the stairs and as soon as the door opened make a break for freedom. He did get out a couple of times but was pretty easy to catch because he had absolutely no idea what to do when he got outside.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Urg, yes. Horrible feeling.

The worst time, my cat ran for the door and escaped. I tried to find her and couldn't find her anywhere. I actually had to give up looking, but I left the front door wide open just in case. She walked in about an hour later. I'll never forget it.

I must have missed the thread where you said you broke your ankle. I'm very sorry to hear that, Gypsy. Ouch. :o

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Both of my cats got out one time each. The mellow old boy, who was stray on the streets for at least a year (a friend fed him before capturing him) sat calmly on the fence & waited for DH to pick him up. The other was terrified & hid under the deck, refusing to come out. Finally a dish of food enticed him close enough so I could reach him.

We are very careful about doors -- NEVER open them wide going in or out, just enough space for our bods. We also warn guests sternly about that. We always are by the doors when service people are here -- if it's going to be a long job, I stash the cats in a bedroom.

Joe Don hangs by the door when he hears us coming in -- I open it & step squarely in front of his face so he has to retreat, thinking he's going to get squished. If necessary I give him a nudge with a foot to push him backward.

It's terrifying when they escape -- so glad you got Merlin back safely!!

--- Laurie

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, fortunately! My two cats (females) are both terrified of the door and when we open it, they have ZERO interest in coming close or seeing what's out there.

I can't imagine how scary it would be. Glad you got Merlin safely back inside! He must be very docile; if I tried to carry my cat somewhere when she was scared, I'd probably be scratched to bits!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Aww, I'm so sorry hera. ;(

audball

Ideal_Rock
Yes. Darwin thinks he wants to go outside. He only ever gets 5 steps out the front door and then sticks his head in a bush. His whole body and tail flitting away are visible, but I can just imagine in his head he's thinking (heeheehee...you can't seeeeee meeeeeeeee...). But of course, you can, scoop him up and back in the house. He's more curious than actually wanting to go. As soon as he's out, he hunkers down and waits to be found. But he LOVES being on the screened in porch watching the birds, squirrels, lizards, etc.

I'd hate for him to ever get further than he does, I adopted him 8 years ago and he's declawed so he wouldn't be able to protect himself well. He is a hunter and even without claws catches lizards and things so he wouldn't go hungry, but still. I hate the thought.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock

Now, we REALLY make sure that we have a visual eye on our kitty before we leave the house. He once almost got out when my mom was opening the door and he made a similar howl notifying us. I guess he's never gotten the memo that he needs to be stealthy and quiet instead of screaming "I'm freeeeeeeee" in cat meows![/quote

heranderson, how awful. I am so sorry that happened to you.

My cats getting out is a big fear. I do have them microchipped just in case, but I don't think they would survive outside. for long. We have had many coyotes spoted around my neighborhood, and even owls taking small pets. My cats are ragdolls and are very gentle cats. Their idea of hiding involves their huge fluffy tails hanging out.

We are super careful, but its my kids or their friends accidentally letting the cats out that worries me.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hera--That's terrible, I'm so sorry for your loss.

Gypsy--I'm so glad you were able to get Merlin back inside!

We have three cats. Two of them (Vince and Manny) have escaped multiple times. The third, Geddy, knows what's best for him and stays safe and sound indoors. Manny runs out the back door and into the yard every now and then when we let the dogs out, but he'll usually freeze on the deck, terrified, and wait for us to run out and grab him. Vince, on the other hand, loves being outside. He's run out quite often, and we've always been able to grab him. After a few years DH bought a really long leash and when it's nice out I put it on Vince so he can wander around the yard while I read my newspaper.

It always terrifies me when they get out, but we're lucky that we have a big yard and they rarely get very far before we can grab them. I would feel so sick with worry if they ever got out and wandered away where we couldn't find them. Ugh, I don't even want to think about it.

Which PSer is it who leashes her kitty to her pup so they can wander around outside together? bee*, is it you? I remember whoever it is writing something about them "pottering around" in the yard, and posting a picture of it . . . love that phrase, pottering around. Makes me think it must be one of our Irish PSers! (We tried to do this with one of our pups but it was not successful. Not even a little bit. :cheeky: )

lulu

Ideal_Rock
It's happened. Our big fat fluffball, Ivan, was like Houdini. He was as slow as molasses until he saw an open door and then he turned into fat greased lightening.

Once we had to return from vacation a day early because the cleaning lady accidentally let Margaret get out. She had been trying to find her for 24 hours and finally called us. I was very upset that she didn't call earlier. Twenty minutes after we arrived she came walking up the driveway-what a relief!

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1333527509|3163115 said:
Merlin got out of the house tonight. And he was terrified out there. Fortunately he's a yowler and I heard him running around outside screaming in fear. I ran after him in my nightgown in bare feet and with my broken ankle not caring about anything but getting him (not the first time I've run after a cat nearly naked, but the broken bone was new). That makes me 4 for 5 of my indoor cats I've accidentally let out of the house. My stomach always drops though the floor. Such a terrible feeling. Fortunately we've gotten all our cats back after they've gotten out and I know that I've been incredibly lucky in that. I feel like such a terrible momma.

Have your indoor cats ever gotten out?

I'm all too familiar with that terrified feeling when a kitty makes a run for it. PANIC!!! Our soon-to-be 12 Sammy got out once when DH left the door slightly ajar. From out of the dining room window, I saw him sauntering (sp?) down the driveway. In my best 'teacher voice', I yelled, " Get your butt back here!!!" and surprisingly he came at top speed. :!: I then phoned the neighbours to apologize for the outburst and explain that it was the cat and not DH that I was calling :bigsmile:

I'm so sorry to read about your broken ankle, Gypsy. ((((BIG HUGS)))) and fast healing vibes going out to you. :wavey:

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
After being angels for 3 years, two of my boys decided to become door darters. Well, one did and taught the bad habit to the other :rolleyes: . I kept a squirt bottle near the door and if they approached while I was going out, I'd squirt them. Kept the bottle outside the door so I could use it when I got home. Took 2 days and the problem was solved. They slip back into that habit occasionally and out comes the bottle until they give up.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
My female cat, Zoe, is dead set on getting out. I used to let them out on my balcony, but she figured out how to climb a drywall pillar. Which got her up on the (very high) roof. We had to lure her down with cat food. She's apparently half Ragdoll, half ninja. Zack, the boy, doesn't care much. Sometimes I'll let him out (while I'm right there) and he just sniffs around a bit and then lays down.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Matata|1333554646|3163314 said:
After being angels for 3 years, two of my boys decided to become door darters. Well, one did and taught the bad habit to the other :rolleyes: . I kept a squirt bottle near the door and if they approached while I was going out, I'd squirt them. Kept the bottle outside the door so I could use it when I got home. Took 2 days and the problem was solved. They slip back into that habit occasionally and out comes the bottle until they give up.
That is a great idea! I'm going to remember it for when needed! :appl:

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Our Gracie wants to go outside. She sits and stares out of the patio windows, and will step out and sniff around if i'm out there. I don't want her to go out though. She isn't street smart and there are foxes around here. I'm fortunate that she isn't a runner or sneaky in the slightest!

Okie_girl

Shiny_Rock
Oh my, yes, I have a couple who live for the moment when they can try to make a run for it. One is a quite portly girl, and while she is pretty fast in actually getting out the door, once out she waddles towards the neighbor's house, so she's pretty easy to catch.

My boy cats love to go in the garage, that is "outside" to them. Everytime I go somewhere, I have to do a head count prior to leaving to make sure everyone is back in the house. There have been a couple of times when the garage door was opened, not realizing that a kitty or two was out there. One of my guys is deathly afraid of the garage door, so the minute it starts opening he bolts for the door to the house. The other two live for the day that the garage door will be mistakenly opened. They have escaped a number of times, but thankfully, I have always found them. They've never gone more than a few houses away, but it always gives me a heart attack.

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
We installed a cat door so ours can come and go as they please. They like it out there! Who am I to deny the inner lion in all of them. That said we have plenty of room for them to roam so I am not as worried about them getting hit by a car, but we do have a street near. They are afraid of cars so they usually get far away from the road when they hear one.

Two of them are little hunters! They cant get enough of outside and are fond of bringing their "kills" in to me. One is nearly deaf so she doesnt go further than the picnic table and the other isnt a fan of outside. She thinks she likes outside until she gets out there and immediately wants back in.

Running on a bum ankle half naked is only something another person owned by a cat can appreciate. Glad you got your kitty back safely

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Bella did once, years ago after we first got married/moved in. I used to go walking every night and would have to practically pick her up and toss her across the room and then run and shut the door quick or she'd get caught in it trying to get out. One night when JD went to work and I was out walking, she did get out. When I came home she was up on her hind legs pawing at the door like mad. All wide eyed and freaked out-she never tried to go back out again. Well..not out the front door. The back is all fenced in, so she and Britta used to slide the screen part of the patio doors open when it's nice out and then they'd get all low to the ground and saucer eyed, stalking birds. Britta found a little hole once and got out, gone for a couple days, found her in the neighbors back garage, again w/the huge OMG saucer eyes. Now she'll nose around out back, chase the dogs around and lay in the hostas but that's it. Chucknorris used to get out when we first got him and terrorize the dogs. We're planning on putting in a dog door and figure the cats can use it too-all escape holes are covered now.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank so much everyone!

I did get pretty bloody from his claws cause he was freaked, but it just didn't register until much later. I was too happy to have him and too worried about trying to walk without hands (he's a BIG cat and I needed both hands to hold him) down the stairs in my brace and bare feet without falling. LOL.

Heranderson, I'm so sorry sweetie.

We don't have them charging the front door. Duncan just tries to heel us like a dog when he leave. It's weird. Like he believes we'll just let him walk out with us.

The reason Merlin got out is because our kitchen does not ventilate well at all. So pretty much every time we cook the smoke alarm goes off. And the quickest way to stop it from screaming is to open the front door wide. I was standing there opening it but I turned my back for a little while and he must have gotten out. Cause when I turned back I saw a big streak of white fur running down the corridor yowling and then streaking up the stairs.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

We have a neighbourhood cat that tries to get IN! She is a beauty--well loved--and runs into my house the first chance she gets. She is perfectly white--except for the tiny bits of dust on her perfect white toes (from getting there to here....).

BTW awesome pets names!

cheers--Sharon

Lottie

Brilliant_Rock
canuk-gal|1333590451|3163748 said:
HI:

We have a neighbourhood cat that tries to get IN! She is a beauty--well loved--and runs into my house the first chance she gets. She is perfectly white--except for the tiny bits of dust on her perfect white toes (from getting there to here....).

BTW awesome pets names!

cheers--Sharon

I think Claude might be one of these cats too, a couple of the neighbours seem to know him very well and he often takes a look at his food bowl before deciding he would prefer something else and heading off out. It makes me laugh that most of the cats on our street seem to be self appointed 'community cats'.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lottie|1333607045|3163902 said:
canuk-gal|1333590451|3163748 said:
HI:

BTW awesome pets names!

cheers--Sharon

I think Claude might be one of these cats too, a couple of the neighbours seem to know him very well and he often takes a look at his food bowl before deciding he would prefer something else and heading off out. It makes me laugh that most of the cats on our street seem to be self appointed 'community cats'.

Hehheee; I have no idea what the impetus for "my" community cat is--we have nothing to eat! She cases the place then plops on top on my glass table--must be cool.....she is gorgeous and we love her! Her picture is on the face of my phone :D Alas I don't see her very often but when she is here she chats away....

cheers--Sharon

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results