shape
carat
color
clarity

Indicolite Tourmaline Questions

pwsg07

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@mochiko42 Your medium blue afghan indicolite Tourmaline is exactly the color I would like to find. It’s gorgeous :love:.

Just to update this thread, after I decided to return the Ivy New York stone I did purchase another stone on a bit of whim from an Instagram seller. I just loved the color in the photos and video he sent me. When it arrived it didn’t look like the color in his pictures and I had planned to return it, but then found out it came from a country where gems aren’t allowed to be shipped to and my return package would risk confiscation. I ended up getting a small refund from the seller and kept the gem. This was one of my gemstone misadventures :shifty:
Here are the vendor photos:
4668E782-BC22-4B13-8D30-A7E109A94396.jpeg 36DB7EAC-D945-4566-917D-6BA97BC38A88.jpeg
And my real life photos:
F0BF8034-BDC5-48BB-BCC3-DB0AE066E3E8.jpeg F18682FC-022E-41BA-A498-03A9093C326A.jpeg
It has a huge window and isn’t nearly as bright as I had anticipated. The color isn’t bad, but is definitely more of a grayish blue green than the color of the vendor photos.
I contacted Jerry Newman about a recut and he said since it is a shallow stone he would have to do a complete recut keeping it an emerald type cut. The stone would go from 8.9mm x 7.6mm, to 8.8mm x 6.3mm after the recut at a cost of approx $200. I am seriously considering having him do the recut since I know the window will drive me nuts and I’ll never set it as is. I ended up paying $240 for the stone and the recut would be $200, so I know I will have overpaid for the stone in the end, but I’m thinking it would be better to recut it and hope the stone will be greatly improved.
Any thoughts on the recut?

It is a nice stone. Maybe it is the darker tone that makes the stone looking grayish? This is the problem I have experienced with some gemstones that I bought online. They look darker in real life but the key colour is very close.

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
I have no idea what is seafoam, lagoon, or whatever. It's easier for me to say whether is has a stronger green or weaker blue modifier.
Ha!....Chrono, you and I are in the same boat.

RafaelMezi

Rough_Rock
Trade
I know that idicolite is blue, and blue green with pre dominant blue...now if one has blue greens with equal parts blue and green, I imagine it’s Seafoam or blue green Tourmaline and doesn’t get the indicolite name even though it has blue. I don’t care much about names, just curious where the devide is.

Here in Brazil, we
Hi All,
I have been searching for an Indicolite Tourmaline under $500 and came across quite a few from Ivy New York/Yavorskyy. They refer to them as Indigo Tourmaline on their site, but from what I can tell, that’s another name for Indicolite. I ordered the stone below, a 1.82ct for around $380. This is the first indicolite I have ordered and I’m wondering if they typically tend to be this dark in person? It is an overcast day, but the photos where taken in the best natural light I could find with my back at the window.
I haven’t been able to find too many examples of blue tourmalines here on P.S... Does anyone have any examples in their person collection they could share photos of? I’m on the fence whether I should return this one or not, it will be an international return which can be more of a hassle. Are there any indicolites out there for sale in my price range that anyone knows of?
Thanks in advance!
C49C3C6E-9DCB-44FB-9580-9B5C0F77B883.jpeg
AD279376-F902-4B4D-BBF8-66EA36E9C0DD.jpeg C2CC5921-1A4E-4F99-BCF7-FEF2CBE88EA3.jpeg
5C5FB7EF-76A6-4B77-AAF1-889AC9EC65B1.jpeg 1E9751AA-AC6B-4023-8722-CAFE199EB6D2.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-01-17 at 5.08.09 PM.jpeg Hello, this an indicolite I bought in Brazil, where I live. It is a 3.9 carat Indicolite and I paid 1100 US dollars.it is 10 x .8.3 mm in size.

RafaelMezi

Rough_Rock
Trade
A tourmaline should be never dark for the highest quality ones are lighter, but not as light as to fade in colour, they should never be analyzed above your nose, I mean, you must see them in the palm of your hands in the first place and you must be able to see your hand from the stone, like a colored glass full of water. if you don't see it, it is not as high quality as tourmalines can possible be. Never buy one at sunlight, for it will surely apper lighter than I actually is. Check them indoors. For clarity, use very strong magnifier lens to search for impurities, scratches or any other inclusions. Hope I have helped. My uncle is a miner in the state og Minas Gerals - BRAZIL and he has 40 years experience. I learned this from him and I am a collector and potential buyer.

God bless y'all fellows!

Attachments

• indicolite 2.png
    indicolite 2.png
    100 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
A tourmaline should be never dark for the highest quality ones are lighter, but not as light as to fade in colour, they should never be analyzed above your nose, I mean, you must see them in the palm of your hands in the first place and you must be able to see your hand from the stone, like a colored glass full of water. if you don't see it, it is not as high quality as tourmalines can possible be. Never buy one at sunlight, for it will surely apper lighter than I actually is. Check them indoors. For clarity, use very strong magnifier lens to search for impurities, scratches or any other inclusions. Hope I have helped. My uncle is a miner in the state og Minas Gerals - BRAZIL and he has 40 years experience. I learned this from him and I am a collector and potential buyer.

God bless y'all fellows!

Thank you for the tips on buying tourmaline! They are helpful :))

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice masculine setting, very protective of the gem and showcases it well.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results