shape
carat
color
clarity

In seek of your opinion, my friends.

Cartel

Rough_Rock
Per the subject, I am in seek of the opinion of the forum collective regarding the ring that I purchased for my fiancée. As a point of reference, I conducted a bit of due diligence regarding the 4 C's of a diamond. However, I must admit, I overlooked the proportions, cut, + fluorescence aspect of the diamond when searching for the right center stone. I am interested in knowing street value of the stone and/or ring, + the enhancers and detractors of the diamond. Please refer to the GIA diamond report that I have included below.

Shape and Cutting Style - Round Brilliant
Measurements - 7.92-8.04x4.55mm

Carat Weight 1.77 carat
Color Grade G
Clarity Grade VS2
Cut Grade Good

Polish Good
Symmetry Good
Fluorescence Medium Blue

Depth 57.1%
Table 64%
Crown Angle 34.5
Crown Height 12.5%
Pavillion Angle 40.2
Pavillion Depth 41.5%
Star Length 55%
Lower Half 85%
Girdle Very Thin to Medium, 2.5%
Cullet Very Small

Thank you in advance for your time + efforts, my friends!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Return it. Boy is that going to be a bad perdormer. Any other discussion is pointless. Just get your money back NOW and we'll help you start over. I can't even explain to you how badly cut that is.

Is it an old cut???? I am trying to think why anyone would cut a diamond with those proportions. The only thing Ive seen close numbers wise is a transitional.

Wow.

Cartel

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1454756579|3987648 said:
Return it. Boy is that going to be a bad perdormer. Any other discussion is pointless. Just get your money back NOW and we'll help you start over. I can't even explain to you how badly cut that is.

Is it an old cut???? I am trying to think why anyone would cut a diamond with those proportions. The only thing Ive seen close numbers wise is a transitional.

Wow.

Why did the GIA cert grade come back as good if it was poorly cut?

I am still interested in gathering more opinions prior to speaking to the jeweler that sold me the ring. What value would you put on it?

Again, thank you for your insight!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Value? I can't find a stone that badly cut in the search function here to compare it to. That's how bad it is. I'll see what I can find.

You got taken for a ride by a bad jeweler. RETURN IT NOW.
As you sit here and do "get opinions' your return period is ticking by. And if you bought a stone without a return period, not only did you get taken for a ride, but you LET yourself get taken.

As for "good cut" Good cut means bad.

Run down of GIA cut grades:

Excellent: Some are better than others. Run through HCA https://www.pricescope.com/tools/hca Anything 2 and under is good, even without an idealscope (though ideally you want an idealscope image). Anything 3 and under get and idealscope image.
Very good: Not good enough. About 99% of these stink.
Good: Bad
Fair: Foul
Poor: Execrable

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I honestly cannot find a diamond that poorly cut to give you a value.

The closest I can come is these two:
https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/view/Round/GIA-Certified-1-73-Carat-H-Color-VS1-Clarity-Diamond-RGHVZE
https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/view/Round/GIA-Certified-1-8-Carat-H-Color-SI1-Clarity-Diamond-HVQE99

Yes, you have a G VS2 color. But both of these (while dogs in terms of cut) are both STILL better cut than your stone and are rated "Very Good" by GIA, so that's worth more than your "Good" rating. One is a VS1 and the other is larger than yours. And neither has fluorescence, like yours which discounts it further. And neither has an open culet. And yours has a very thin girdle, which is a chip risk.

And these three:
http://www.b2cjewels.com/dd-6731587-1.71-carat-Round-diamond-G-color-SI1-clarity.aspx
http://www.b2cjewels.com/dd-2458878-1.70-carat-Round-diamond-G-color-VS2-clarity.aspx

Neither of them have fluorescence, the culet, or the girdle issue. And your numbers are worse than both of these. These both have VG for polish and symmetry and yours doesn't. So still they are better than yours. And I'd take either of these over yours. Yours is a pancake a shallow pancake with a super low crown and a terribly large table. :knockout:

Yours is the "very shallow" stone in the below illustration.
using_IS_Reference_Chart_72.jpg

So I'd guess your stone to be around 11k to 14k given these comps. And that's probably generous.

Which is WAY too much to spend on that terrible stone. I wouldn't even take your stone for half that. If you paid 6k, you still paid too much. IMO.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, unfortunately your due diligence on the 4 c's forgot the Cut part. We never recommend below GIA Excellent, and a percentage of those are much better than some others. So you'd need to start over and look at GIA Excellent cut only, and then within that category, you can use these parameters below to help you get one of the better stones. Nothing is wrong with medium blue fluorescence.

table: 54-58

depth: 60-62.3

crown angle: 34-35.0

pavilion angle: 40.6-40.9 (41.0 can work with a 34 crown angle)

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The cut grading classifications are confusing. It's not silly that you would think a "Good" cut rating was well....good, but it actually is not good at all! Even a "Very Good" cut diamond isn't very good, the vast majority will be leaving a lot to be desired.

So please stick to a GIA "Excellent" cut diamond or an AGS 0 diamond if you want to maximize sparkle. Cut is the most important "c" because the cut is what is going to make the diamond sparkle, shine, and look lively. A well cut diamond is going to look brighter and more sparklier (that's a word!) than one that's not well cut and that will make a difference in face up appearance. I'm saying this because you may have to go for a slightly smaller stone to go up in cut grade within your budget, but trust me when I say that is okay. Your girl doesn't want a large dead piece of glass, lol.

Once you see some more Excellent options, come back and post the specs for us to look at. To make it even harder, some "Excellent" cut diamonds are much better than others. If you want the help, you'll definitely get it here :wavey: .

Oh and Diamondseeker gave you some nice numbers to optimize for when looking at other diamonds.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cartel|1454741640|3987602 said:
Shape and Cutting Style - Round Brilliant
Measurements - 7.92-8.04x4.55mm

Carat Weight 1.77 carat
Color Grade G
Clarity Grade VS2
Cut Grade Good

Polish Good
Symmetry Good
Fluorescence Medium Blue

Depth 57.1%
Table 64%

Crown Angle 34.5
Crown Height 12.5%
Pavillion Angle 40.2
Pavillion Depth 41.5%
Star Length 55%
Lower Half 85%
Girdle Very Thin to Medium, 2.5%
Cullet Very Small
Out of round, shallow cut, big table + a low crown. this one is UGLY!!... :knockout: RETURN IT NOW!!!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
am interested in knowing street value of the stone and/or ring, Polish Good

Cartel, what is (a) street value?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
canuk-gal|1454982210|3988602 said:
am interested in knowing street value of the stone and/or ring, Polish Good

Cartel, what is (a) street value?
The cost of buying off the street in NYC... :wink2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results