shape
carat
color
clarity

Importing a diamond to Europe question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

chris-uk04

Shiny_Rock
I am buying an e-ring over the internet from the US. I’m an American, but living in Britian currently. Does anyone know if I would have to pay import duties or VAT? I am worried that I would and it is going to spoil my plans because those taxes would be well over 20%. I didn’t really think of it before but now I might be in trouble. Has anyone in Europe bought from the States and can help?

goldenringlets

Shiny_Rock
Chris-
There are a number of previous posts that address this. Yes, you would have to pay import fees, but, I think with very few exceptions you will make out better if you import from the US. This is even truer now, with the strength of the pound. Others who are knowledgeable are Giangi and Paul from Antwerp. You know the "pounds for dollars" saying - it's true.

PS You've really become English, signing your posts "cheers"!

chris-uk04

Shiny_Rock
Ah thanks. I also did do a search and found this helpful thread.

International Orders

Import duties of 5% and the 17.5% VAT (sales tax) is huge. It looks like I will have to have it shipped to my parents and have them bring it instead. I guess I have to let them know I'm going to propose!!

Otherwise it's cheaper to fly to New York if you are buying a diamond over $5K than to pay 22.5% in tax.

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
I am in Italy and yes, unfortunately you'll have to pay approx 22.5% in taxes & customs. How depressing!
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results