carat
color
clarity

Important Clarification Pricescope Discounts & Commissions

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Re: Important Clarification Pricescope Discounts & Commissio

If I ever quit giggling I might answer that....

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade

OVincze|1400276974|3674459 said:
Wink, this was really informative, thanks so much for posting this for all of us to know. I find it wonderful that the Admins actually say no to some that want to advertise and they do not find that they fit in this forum for whatever reason but I think often it has to do with the philosophies of a company and ethics. I will refuse to work with most diamond wholesalers/cutters out there. I have learnt from experience in other businesses that it really pays off to be selective and it should also give consumers peace of mind.

Many things are still not clear to me as a trade person/vendor. I have read and reread the policies. People have asked about me in posts and I did not really dare to respond in detail whereas I love to talk about what I love but I thought that would be considered too much self advertising now I read in the policies that it would have been ok. I also read among policies that trade members can post signatures but I thought that it was not allowed and for a reason. Now I can post my signature OVi:))) tried and did not work.

What I do not understand is why posters find it hard to find out about us trade people. Like I have said after I really liked yours posts Wink I went to your profile and read up about you, normally you can find one's website there right away, so I think it is easy to identify and do research about trade members, no?

Also, I am not sure I agree with what was said about us trade members posting on threads that are particularly interesting to us because we are motivated by potential financial gain. I post on threads about colored diamonds or pear shaped diamonds not because I carry them but because I am particularly interested in them. Many times when I posted, people wanted advice about specific stones they already selected and anyhow I did not even have my website up on this site at that point. I do not see how it benefits me if I help someone with stones they selected from other vendors. I post because I want to help and because I am particularly interested in the topic.

Actually it does benefit you.

You give good information. People see that and appreciate it. You keep giving, People see that and appreciate it. Eventually some of them recommend you for something that they know you do because you have given hours and hours of your time. As King Solomon says in Ecclesiastes, "Cast your bread upon the water, and in many days you shall find it again."

Pricescope is a wonderful place, the more you give, the more you get, but only if you give freely and without expectation of reciprocation.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

Wink

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

You said that very well Wink and thank you; I should have said something like without any guarantees and any instant gains. Hmm I do gain instantly too because I love talking about my favorite subject.:)))

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium

OVincze|1400276974|3674459 said:
What I do not understand is why posters find it hard to find out about us trade people. Like I have said after I really liked yours posts Wink I went to your profile and read up about you, normally you can find one's website right away, so I think it is easy to identify and do research about trade members, no?
But as you've said, you did not initially include that in your Profile. When I first came out of lurkdom & became a member last summer, most of the Trade profiles I initially checked did not have their true business name listed or web site. Which means there was little positive reinforcement to keep going to Trade profiles.

Also, there's nothing on the site that alerts you to the possibility such info may be found on a Trade member's profile (or if there is, I've blown past it). And it is an additional step that those who are not aficionados are, I imagine, unlikely to take. That's why I said above that, as a consumer, I'd be happy to have the basic info incorporated into Trade members' signatures.

On the other hand, that could lead to some Trade members posting for the sake of getting their name into public view -- and result in threads that end up resembling Burma Shave billboard-strewn highways :rolleyes:

internet_road_signs.jpg

GeorgeStevens

Shiny_Rock

I don't think it's possible to eliminate improper marketing here. The question is whether the forums foster open commentary, and on that count, I'm not always convinced that they do. That's not the webmaster's fault. I've criticized certain practices of certain sponsor vendors here, and I've commented on some vendors being expensive for what they offer. I have gotten quite a bit of flak for it. I realize people can be defensive of what they think are good companies, but when those same vendors are paying the bills for the site, it impairs the credibility of the individuals and the website.

As for affiliates who don't disclose their relationship properly, I wasn't referring to people on this website. What I was referring to is glowing reviews like this that make it look like the person is a customer rather than someone presumably making quite a large sum from the affiliate relationship. This is the sort of puffery that fails to provide the sort of transparent disclosure that affiliates ought to. In fact, the language in the review makes it seem like the reviewer disavows any relationship. Presumably the vendor puts up with it since it's probably good business.

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

ROFL, Molly Malone, you are raising good and interesting points; it is definitely a balancing act. If we trade people were allowed to post our websites and company names in posts then it may become like you suggested. Otherwise, as you suggested it may be difficult to find people but if one does research it can be done and also members, posters give recommendations. You should of course contact them and make up your own mind as to who is the right vendor to you.

I commented because I wanted to add that I did not have anything to hide, it was simply that I had been a gemologist for over a decade but I worked locally only based on referrals, people coming to me as they knew me or heard about me and asking me for help in sourcing them quality diamonds, making an engagement ring, etc. I only recently went online and somewhat changed the profile of my company and for that I created a new company, website, etc. This is why I added it later on, not that I had anything to hide. I was not working for anyone else, in fact while I was still working in the legal field and gemology was my hobby I was on another forum for years and tried to assist there when I could or had time. I only found this forum a few months ago, I have no idea why only then because I have not left since, I truly love this forum and have never gone back to the other forum I was on, not to say it was a bad forum but I simply enjoy this forum a lot more and have no time for two.

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

Thanks Andrey for stating PS policy for all to see. I've been a part of this community for many years and I know how difficult it is to be all things to all people. But overall, even with occasional jibs and jabs at each other...the policies in place are working. From a trade standpoint, I feel that this community is the best for knowledge, opinions and respectful disagreement among those who post. Keep on doing what you're doing!

Jeff

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

GeorgeStevens|1400289531|3674593 said:
As for affiliates who don't disclose their relationship properly, I wasn't referring to people on this website.
There is no question that affiliate programs create a cesspool and there are a lot of dishonestly going on with them on the net.
However if someone posts affiliate links here to stones they will quickly be caught and banned and the vendor running the program will be in hot water.
I remember one guy who started posting here and his website was 90% content stolen word for word from PS who was posting affiliate links. He lasted less than 2 hours before being banned.
He would have been banned quicker but the then admin took a while to return my phone call.

proto

Shiny_Rock

As for affiliates who don't disclose their relationship properly, I wasn't referring to people on this website. What I was referring to is glowing reviews like this that make it look like the person is a customer rather than someone presumably making quite a large sum from the affiliate relationship. This is the sort of puffery that fails to provide the sort of transparent disclosure that affiliates ought to. In fact, the language in the review makes it seem like the reviewer disavows any relationship. Presumably the vendor puts up with it since it's probably good business.

He discloses the affiliate relationship, although for an intelligent person, its reasonable to assume that it doesnt cost anything for someone to be an affiliate of several vendors, and be biased towards only one while maintaining to be able to maintain prima facie neutrality. Personally I like JA and my customer service experience has been excellent, as well as the prices.

http://www.diamonds.pro/truth-about/diamonds-pro/

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade

proto|1400412921|3675391 said:

He discloses the affiliate relationship, although for an intelligent person, its reasonable to assume that it doesnt cost anything for someone to be an affiliate of several vendors, and be biased towards only one while maintaining to be able to maintain prima facie neutrality. Personally I like JA and my customer service experience has been excellent, as well as the prices.

In a bit of a head scratcher, this company published an article very unflattering of the diamond industry which resulted in some discussion here sometime back:
https://www.pricescope.com/blog/ira-weissmans-truth-about-diamond-business
I wonder if there is a connection between that and the new company name and spokesman?

psadmin

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium

Dear Pricescope Community ,

After careful consideration we have asked all vendors to discontinue using the term “Pricescope Discount.” While we certainly appreciate the spirit in which it has been offered, the trend of cookie-tracking for pay has brought with it the wrong perception about monetization and “kickbacks” to Pricescope.

PriceScope and it’s community are very important to us and therefore we feel these steps are necessary to protect and prevent such misunderstandings.

Thank you everyone for bringing this to our attention and for your understanding.

Yvonne_J

Rough_Rock

Learned a lot here. PS is really helpful.
I wish that I can find my dream ring as well.

"LIKE"!

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

proto|1400412921|3675391 said:

I realize this is an old thread, but I never noticed it before. I do not think that announcement makes it really clear how the affiliate gets rewarded, or the hundreds of dollars of the reward on very expensive products.

Also it seems hard to find the 'message' which is in breach of this guideline from the Federal Trade Commision:
https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/bus...ement-guides-what-people-are-asking#affiliate

WHAT ABOUT AFFILIATE OR NETWORK MARKETING?
I’m an affiliate marketer with links to an online retailer on my website. When people read what I’ve written about a particular product and then click on those links and buy something from the retailer, I earn a commission from the retailer. What do I have to disclose? Where should the disclosure be?
If you disclose your relationship to the retailer clearly and conspicuously on your site, readers can decide how much weight to give your endorsement.

In some instances – like when the affiliate link is embedded in your product review – a single disclosure may be adequate. When the review has a clear and conspicuous disclosure of your relationship and the reader can see both the review containing that disclosure and the link at the same time, readers have the information they need. You could say something like, “I get commissions for purchases made through links in this post.” But if the product review containing the disclosure and the link are separated, readers may lose the connection.

As for where to place a disclosure, the guiding principle is that it has to be clear and conspicuous. The closer it is to your recommendation, the better. Putting disclosures in obscure places – for example, buried on an ABOUT US or GENERAL INFO page, behind a poorly labeled hyperlink or in a “terms of service” agreement – isn’t good enough. Neither is placing it below your review or below the link to the online retailer so readers would have to keep scrolling after they finish reading. Consumers should be able to notice the disclosure easily. They shouldn’t have to hunt for it.

Is “affiliate link” by itself an adequate disclosure? What about a “buy now” button?
Consumers might not understand that “affiliate link” means that the person placing the link is getting paid for purchases through the link. Similarly, a “buy now” button would not be adequate.

What if I’m including links to product marketers or to retailers as a convenience to my readers, but I’m not getting paid for them?
Then there isn’t anything to disclose.

Does this guidance about affiliate links apply to links in my product reviews on someone else’s website, to my user comments, and to my tweets?
Yes, the same guidance applies anytime you endorse a product and get paid through affiliate links.

It’s clear that what’s on my website is a paid advertisement, not my own endorsement or review of the product. Do I still have to disclose that I get a commission if people click through my website to buy the product?
If it’s clear that what’s on your site is a paid advertisement, you don’t have to make additional disclosures. Just remember that what’s clear to you may not be clear to everyone visiting your site, and the FTC evaluates ads from the perspective of reasonable consumers.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

Summing up - In the past year or so, to my knowledge - only one other Affiliate came here and posted in response to the issue of not declaring that they make quite a lot of money (often 5% or more with monthly bonuses etc). Todd is the only really open Affiliate I know of. Most if not all hide the basis of their business and consumers are unaware often that they may have visited a few Affiliate sites and the various Affiliates each gets a share of what they pay for their purchase.
It surely adds to the pricing?

The trade posters are strictly controlled.

Consumers who seem to be directing others to one vendor more often than purely based on which vendor has the best diamond to suit a specific shoppers needs do get followed.
I have at various times followed some of you in this thread, just to be sure. And Ella and Andrey spend a lot of time and effort behind the scenes doing just that.

If anyone suspects anyone is getting an Affiliate fee, or any sort of commission, the Admins will take you info and tips very seriously.
This place is as clean as it can possibly be.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results