shape
carat
color
clarity

I''m proud of the US

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Right now we''re in the middle of a hard time...and it makes me sad on so many levels. However, I think in the middle of hard times true character shines through...

Companies like Jos A. Banks, FedEx, Ford and GM are really stepping up to help people who need it.

Jos A. Banks, for example, is offering a promotion where anyone can buy a 199.00 suit, and if they loose their job they can get a full refund and keep the suit.

Ford, is offering to pay someones car payment up to $700.00 per month for an entire year!

GM is offering something similar...$500.00 up to 7 months.

and FedEx, the store, the offering for umemployeed people to come in and get 25 free resumes!

I don''t know if anyone may be in need of these programs...or maybe we can help make each other better aware of companies that are helping out people...

sklingem

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/31/2009 10:08:42 PM
Author:Italiahaircolor
Right now we''re in the middle of a hard time...and it makes me sad on so many levels. However, I think in the middle of hard times true character shines through...
Ford, is offering to pay someones car payment up to $700.00 per month for an entire year!

These are not freebies ... GM and Ford would pay in case you lose your job without being at fault and if you are eligible for unemployment compensation. This is a type of program that was initiated by Hyundai a couple of months ago.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/31/2009 10:50:14 PM
Author: rob09

These are not freebies ... GM and Ford would pay in case you lose your job without being at fault and if you are eligible for unemployment compensation. This is a type of program that was initiated by Hyundai a couple of months ago.

Rob: In what way are these not "freebies"? I.e., in what way are they not free to the people who benefit from them? Providing the benefits only to people who meet certain criteria is different, IMHO, from providing them at some cost.

ETA I understand that for the car companies, especially, this is an inducement that might be needed to get some people to buy new cars in these uncertain times. I'm not sure that would make it less of a benefit however....

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Interesting to see these kinds of ideas coming through corporate US...
Back in Aus, we tend to look to our ''tax-and-spend'' government to save us!
I think corporate promotions / ideas such as these would be very cynically received by the Australian public!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I guess the idea is to have people feel comfortable enough to buy cars, but, um...not sure if it''s the smartest idea. I guess I''d have to see the details.

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Walgreens will also offer free exams and lab tests (strep throat, uti, etc) until the end of the year for those who lose their jobs, and their family members, at their Take Care Clinics.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/31/2009 11:17:56 PM
Author: VRBeauty

Rob: In what way are these not ''freebies''? I.e., in what way are they not free to the people who benefit from them? Providing the benefits only to people who meet certain criteria is different, IMHO, from providing them at some cost.

ETA I understand that for the car companies, especially, this is an inducement that might be needed to get some people to buy new cars in these uncertain times. I''m not sure that would make it less of a benefit however....
i''ll tell you why these aren''t FREE. guess who gave the car Co. billions of dollars? and guess where the money came from?

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
Get over it DF!
9.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/1/2009 1:01:09 AM
Author: zhuzhu
Get over it DF!
9.gif
when i get my free car.
2.gif

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/1/2009 10:47:49 AM
Author: Dancing Fire

Get over it DF!
9.gif
when i get my free car.
2.gif

Well over here the Aussie government is giving almost everybody a $900 payout in a couple of weeks! including some dead people! and most households also got another round (I think $1000 ?) just before Christmas!!!

But 27% of all Australians over 15 years of age are on some form of welfare payment, apparently, (so I read in the newspaper today) so it''s horses for courses! another newspaper stat: one in four families pay no net tax!

Perhaps the Aussie government will buy you a new car, DF!

(I think we have to be careful with the new rules not to be political, but I''m hoping that personal comment on the Australian political /economic / welfare scene will not prove incendiary to these boards!)

all.of.the.above

Rough_Rock
Funny GM is willing to do this...considering they just told DBF to go scratch after his transmission just blew up on his 3 year old car. The vehicle is out of the 36month/36kmiles warranty and it is now costing us $4k to fix it. The kicker, it's a known problem with this car and they say "it's GM policy" that we can't help b/c you're out of warranty. We looked into trading it in and the vehicle is worth nothing compared to what we owe. They just told us to buy a Honda or a Toyota if we're that unhappy with their product.
23.gif

Wow, now that is something to be proud of. For a company hanging on by a thread, having their CEO asked to step down by the President, can they really afford (in more ways than one) to loose customers? I think the American auto industry has what they got comin to them.

And no, those payments are not free. We are all paying for them...and Rick Wagners $23million dollar 'please leave' package.

ETA: I should add, bravo to Walgreens for looking out for the general public's health. I think this is far more valuable and something to be very proud of.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock

Date: 3/31/2009 10:08:42 PM
Author:Italiahaircolor

You''re right Rob, these are "freebies"...there are certainly some cavets to the program put in place to protect the company.

But, I encourage you to look at all the good this will do for those people that will need it and qualify for it. These are people who have fallen on hard times, and I''m so happy for them that they won''t face distroying their credit or losing their car because of economic issues beyond their control.

Who cares if it isn''t a blanket effort...it''s an American company helping the American people...that counts for something.

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/1/2009 10:47:49 AM
Author: Dancing Fire

Get over it DF!
9.gif
when i get my free car.
2.gif

I hear Oprah gives away free cars
36.gif

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/1/2009 11:21:49 AM
Author: all.of.the.above
Funny GM is willing to do this...considering they just told DBF to go scratch after his transmission just blew up on his 3 year old car. The vehicle is out of the 36month/36kmiles warranty and it is now costing us $4k to fix it. The kicker, it''s a known problem with this car and they say ''it''s GM policy'' that we can''t help b/c you''re out of warranty. We looked into trading it in and the vehicle is worth nothing compared to what we owe. They just told us to buy a Honda or a Toyota if we''re that unhappy with their product.
23.gif

Wow, now that is something to be proud of. For a company hanging on by a thread, having their CEO asked to step down by the President, can they really afford (in more ways than one) to loose customers? I think the American auto industry has what they got comin to them.

And no, those payments are not free. We are all paying for them...and Rick Wagners $23million dollar ''please leave'' package.

ETA: I should add, bravo to Walgreens for looking out for the general public''s health. I think this is far more valuable and something to be very proud of.
Were you expecting them to replace his tranmission after it was out from under his warranty? That is not their responsibility. It''s unfortunate...but you cannot complain about something that clearly known to you. I think it''s common sense to know that at the end of a warranty program, the manufacture is no longer responsible for the car and it''s parts. If he wanted to extend the warranty, he could have for an additional fee...clearly, he didn''t...so why should GM have to cover the cost now?

Of course it sucks his transmission blew...thats a big chunk of change...but just like anything from a simple iPod to a car, there are certain limitations to the warranties.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
I guess I''m cynical, because most of the things mentioned reek of corporate greed.

"Can''t afford this suit? Well, it''s $199. Still can''t pay? Finance it! Oh, and if you really really can''t pay because you lose your job, we''ll give you your money back and you can keep the suit. This way, we know you''ll feel grateful to us when you finally manage to keep a job, and you''ll come back."

It''s marketing. It''s a desperate grab at a demographic they''re terrified of losing.

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
I think it is a good marketing ploy, but I hope it does not encourage people to go out and get a $500+ car payment that they otherwise wouldn't get because in these times adding debt to your bottom line in the form of a depreciating asset doesn't seem like the smartest idea. But then again, I personally never buy new even in a good market...I always buy a 2-3 year old car and let someone else take the huge hit on the value. Some of the other programs mentioned though, like the Walgreens program and the Fed Ex program are great (but still marketing ploys to get people in the door)!

all.of.the.above

Rough_Rock
You couldn't be more right, but in most cases (being a former service advisor for Volkswagen for 10 years) there is a beautiful thing called Good Will warranty. Next time your car breaks and you're just out of warranty, ask about it...it DOES help. Usually for good customers (regular serivces at the dealership, previous owners, etc) a manufacturer WILL step up and help with the repair - regardless if you're in warranty or not. The only repairs they can't help you with are the federal emissions repairs. I used to goodwill repairs for loyal VW owners to keep them in our product and happy - that was the bottom line. Happy customers = paying customers.

We weren't looking for GM to foot a $4k bill, we know it's not their problem, but this being DBF's 8th GM vehicle, being loyal customers at local dealerships for repairs, maintenance, and purchases one would *think* they may want to help a little - pay for the $200 tow bill or cover some labor. But instead he got a snot nose response and told to go buy a Honda or Toyota. The transmission going at 40k miles and 3 years is not something that were were AWARE OF as you put it. What if it was you? Wouldn't you be slightly upset to know your 3 year old transmission just went kaput and the manufacturer told you to "have a nice day". I'm sorry, but being a broke college student, $4k is a an entire semesters tuition.

If you provided a product to loyal customer and a while later they came back with an issue, would you tell them to scratch and go buy from someone else and a different product even though you're company is facing bankrupcty? That's future sales and money in YOUR pocket you just told to go elsewhere. Why not just make good or come to middle ground?

Negative comments travel faster than positive ones...
38.gif

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/1/2009 11:31:38 AM
Author: Italiahaircolor
Date: 4/1/2009 11:21:49 AM

Author: all.of.the.above

Funny GM is willing to do this...considering they just told DBF to go scratch after his transmission just blew up on his 3 year old car. The vehicle is out of the 36month/36kmiles warranty and it is now costing us $4k to fix it. The kicker, it''s a known problem with this car and they say ''it''s GM policy'' that we can''t help b/c you''re out of warranty. We looked into trading it in and the vehicle is worth nothing compared to what we owe. They just told us to buy a Honda or a Toyota if we''re that unhappy with their product.
23.gif

And no, those payments are not free. We are all paying for them...and Rick Wagners $23million dollar ''please leave'' package.

ETA: I should add, bravo to Walgreens for looking out for the general public''s health. I think this is far more valuable and something to be very proud of.

Were you expecting them to replace his tranmission after it was out from under his warranty? That is not their responsibility. It''s unfortunate...but you cannot complain about something that clearly known to you. I think it''s common sense to know that at the end of a warranty program, the manufacture is no longer responsible for the car and it''s parts. If he wanted to extend the warranty, he could have for an additional fee...clearly, he didn''t...so why should GM have to cover the cost now?

Of course it sucks his transmission blew...thats a big chunk of change...but just like anything from a simple iPod to a car, there are certain limitations to the warranties.

Normally, no. But if it''s a known issue YES I would expect them to cover it. Usually good companies will cover known problems even out of warranty.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/31/2009 11:41:34 PM
Author: TravelingGal
I guess the idea is to have people feel comfortable enough to buy cars, but, um...not sure if it''s the smartest idea. I guess I''d have to see the details.
I agree.

sap483

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/1/2009 11:44:01 AM
Author: steph72276
I think it is a good marketing ploy, but I hope it does not encourage people to go out and get a $500+ car payment that they otherwise wouldn''t get because in these times adding debt to your bottom line in the form of a depreciating asset doesn''t seem like the smartest idea. But then again, I personally never buy new even in a good market...I always buy a 2-3 year old car and let someone else take the huge hit on the value. Some of the other programs mentioned though, like the Walgreens program and the Fed Ex program are great (but still marketing ploys to get people in the door)!
Agreed. The programs where you can return your car, or have the company make your payments are absolutely marketing ploys, and unfortunately I do think it will encourage people to purchase a car that they really can''t afford. That''s exactly one of the things that has gotten us into this mess in the first place, no? People purchasing items on credit that they can''t afford. That''s not the kind of behavior to be encouraging if we have any desire to progress out of this state.

To be perfectly honest, the people I am proud of are those people that I see making a difference in our communities. They are rallying together to raise funds, provide food and shelter, and educate those in needs. Even if they can''t contribute much financially, they are trying to help in any way they can. They are the true heroes in my eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results