shape
carat
color
clarity

I''''m new; hope this is the right section to ask my questions.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

timsah

Rough_Rock
Hi. I''m new to the forum and am looking for advice. Sorry if this is too long, but I have a lot of questions.

My mom was a hobbyist jeweler. She designed, fabricated, remounted, etc., diamonds and jewelry (usually rings) to friends and family. She recently died and my siblings and I have inherited a lot of jewelry and a lot (to us) of diamonds. We have kept her jewelry trade accounts open, as I am an authorized buyer on most of the accounts from long prior to her death, and my siblings and I would like to continue on in her tradition of hobbyist jeweler. (When you''re raised by a mother who loved diamonds, you tend to like them yourself!)

I''ve read a number of posts regarding selling diamonds; we have a number to sell. Thanks to all who have previously posted information. I found some of it very helpful. I guess what I am looking for is advice:

Does anyone know if we (the siblings) need to inform the trade accounts of my mom''s death, and if so, should we incorporate a business prior to doing so? (so that we can retain access to wholesale pricing)

We have been unable to find the GIA certs and appraisals of most of the diamonds. Do people recommend getting everything reappraised by a GIA or AGS-certified appraiser before attempting to sell the stones? Or just go with a local jeweler''s appraisal? We would probably go the internet route to sell the stones, especially the large ones.

Can anyone recommend any at-home or internet-based courses on making/fabricating jewelery so that I can be reasonably knowledgeable when speaking with jewelers? For example, we have a lot of small (approx. 12 pt.) round diamonds that she intended to have set in little earrings for the granddaughters, and I don''t know if we have all the necessary findings to take to have them set. A course that walked me through how it is done and what components are involved would be most helpful.

Last, is there really a difference between Russian goods diamonds and all other diamonds?

Thank you all and I look forward to advice.

timsah

Patty

Ideal_Rock
timsah, I''m sorry to hear that you lost your mom. I don''t know the answer to your questions. Maybe one of the vendors or appraiser will chime in here. I do know that there is a section here where you can read about how to sell a diamond but it is not meant for someone who has several stones like you have.

HERE is the thread I''m talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results