shape
carat
color
clarity

I''m new here and of course still waiting for the bling bling!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Ladyoflovers

Shiny_Rock
Hello All,

My story is a bit extra-ordinary because we got a civil ceremony about 3 weeks ago for my travel papers (immigration purposes).

We''ve been together for 5 years. Because of religious differences, he had a hard time in making his decision about joining our lives. Long story short, we are officially married but he hasn''t asked me to marry him yet. I''ve started bringing up the marriage topic towards the end of our 4th year, since then i spent 2 birthdays hoping for a ring and 2 hanukkahs and 2 new year''s without one. his family finally knows that he wants to marry me and he started looking for one for about 3 months ago. The problem is his family jeweller is out of the city and it is really difficult to visit him often. My lovely bf/husband insists on getting from that guy for financial reasons. I''m a little out of patient these days and I really hope he comes out of his turtle mood.

I found a stone on bluenile.com the other day and sent him the link. It was cushion, 1.7 c, H color, IF clarity, very good cut and no fleurescent. He said he wasn''t sure about the H color, that he could do better than that and bigger than that.

He has a thought that he can get a 2 carat, round, ideal cut, F color and lowest tolerable clarity VS1 stone for less than $12000 from his family jeweller.

Do you guys think that is possible or is he trying to get another 6 months from me?

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Impossible. Even $24000 is a stretch.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/5/2006 10:34:28 PM
Author:Ladyoflovers
I really hope he comes out of his turtle mood.
I just had to say, that''s such a cute description!

It''s hard to tell whether he''s "stalling" or not based on what you''ve told us so far, but $12,000 for a 2ct, F-VS1 round would be a DEEP discount. The cheapest one I found on the pricescope search page was $24,026, and the cut was "just" very good. This jeweler would have to be a VERY good friend. (That, or a mob connection!
23.gif
)

Ladyoflovers

Shiny_Rock
7.gif
i thought so. It''s really difficult to keep my mouth shut for more than a week. He doesn''t do anything if I do not remind him to. Then he complains to me that he needs a break from my nagging. But i did started pushing him after 4.5 years of the relationship.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Diamond-buying tales travel a lot like "fish stories" ... they exaggerate over time. He may be stalling -OR- he may just be misinformed. SOMEONE in his family may have gotten such a deal ... five, ten, 15, 20 years ago ... and the story keeps traveling on!

If you want a cushion cut I wonder why he''s thinking about round brilliant cuts?? Maybe just keep doing your research, build a file. Have it for him to compare to the "deals" his guy might come up with ... so he''ll know just what a "deal" or "no deal" it is.

What family jeweler would be out of town RIGHT BEFORE THE BIGGEST BUYING SEASON by the way???

Ladyoflovers

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/5/2006 11:06:45 PM
Author: decodelighted
Diamond-buying tales travel a lot like ''fish stories'' ... they exaggerate over time. He may be stalling -OR- he may just be misinformed. SOMEONE in his family may have gotten such a deal ... five, ten, 15, 20 years ago ... and the story keeps traveling on!

If you want a cushion cut I wonder why he''s thinking about round brilliant cuts?? Maybe just keep doing your research, build a file. Have it for him to compare to the ''deals'' his guy might come up with ... so he''ll know just what a ''deal'' or ''no deal'' it is.

What family jeweler would be out of town RIGHT BEFORE THE BIGGEST BUYING SEASON by the way???
the jeweller''s store is nearby where his parents live about an hour away from us. his parents are down in florida for winter. that''s why he has no interest in renting a car and going over there to get a piece of jewellery (according to him, it is just a piece of rock and he doesn''t get it why we love it and want it). he is waiting for the jeweller''s coming into the city and showing him the options. but he doesn''t try to coordinate a meeting with him.

Bunnifer

Shiny_Rock
Wow, a 2ct.F-VS1 for $12K?!?! I've clearly been shopping at the wrong places!
31.gif

I'm searching for a WELL CUT 1.7 in that price range and $12K is tough even for me. Of course, a 2ct. booger might be a different story, but you don't want that, right?
3.gif

If he insists on going to the family jeweler, I would try sneak some specs out of him and post them here! Then you will know if you've got a gem
30.gif
or a booger
38.gif

lovebug

Rough_Rock
I would think that would be impossible as well. My mother has a 2.21 ct, D IF round brilliant and my parents paid over $27,000 for it and got it through our family jeweler. You could probably get a nice 1.25-1.5 ct for around $12,000. Is he stuck on the IF? A VS2 looks just as nice to the eye and you can cut some costs there. Maybe he has a great family jeweler, though and can get some kind of fabulous deal. If so, please give us all his contact info! He he he...

Just wanted to let you know that we are in the same position. We have been together for 8 years and a few years ago bf moved here from Canada and we were stuck on the visas as well. (Short version of a long stroy: I am also Canadian, but I have dual citizenship because my parents moved to the US when I was in college and I went to college in the US because they had the best program that I was studying, so bf and I were apart for a year, he just quit his job and moved here to be together, but couldn''t get a visa, about 6 months later he got a job and his own visa!). So, about 3 years ago when his visitors "visa" ran out, we had a civil ceremony and are officially married. I never tell anyone that, though because it doesn''t feel real to me. I want the ring, the dress, my father walking me down the aisle. The paperwork doesn''t do it to me. Getting married was merely out of necessity for us rather than it being the right time. So, I understand how you feel.

It does mean that your bf is serious about this relationship and your real proposal will be coming soon! Welcome to the forum! I think you will find it is a great place to get all of your frustrations out without your bf thinking you''re insane!

Ladyoflovers

Shiny_Rock
Thanks, Lovebug and everyone! I''m thinking about forwarding this link to him so he can see himself that i''m not the only one. About the family jeweller, yes, I do feel like something is wrong with that.

For me, any cut or type or quality is ok at this point. I''m not really obsessed with the stone itself but I do want to have the sign of his love on my finger to show everyone. He is the one trying to get the "perfect" piece. I care more about the setting though.

Lovebug, I haven''t even told my best friends overseas about the civil. I feel the same way as you are. I''d like to have all the formal stages completed. Only one person knows about that (other than you guys :) and my mother) because I needed a witness at City Hall.

I''m looking forward to announcing my engagement to the whole world!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results