shape
carat
color
clarity

I'm in the diamond district! Where should I go?!

Emerald City

Shiny_Rock
Hello, everyone! I haven't been around in a while; been doing physical therapy in preparation for the back surgery I mentioned several months ago. (This was not a fun time.) My husband and I are in New York, surgery has been completed (2 new screws in my lower back), and I am able to sit up like a normal person! This is huge as I haven't been able to do that in almost three years, since I was injured. I want to thank all the people who inquired about the jewelry I was selling to help raise funds for this surgery; your purchases helped and I am immensely grateful. Thank you to those who helped me figure out how to go about selling jewelry online; there is more to it than I had initially realised! Thank you all so much!

So, while I am in New York: I have decided to go visit the diamond district and there are SO many stores! I feel overwhelmed and have no idea where to start. Do you all have a recommendation of which stores I should visit? Once the surgery is paid off, I will have the budget for jewelry again, so I also want to kind of get a feel of which store(s) I want to buy from, what sorts of pieces I might be able to afford, and so forth.

I would really appreciate your help! I have wanted to visit the diamond district for years and while doing so in a wheelchair is not ideal, it is not going to stop me!

(Mods, if this post is not in the right spot, please move it to where it should be! Thank you in advance!)

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’d start with ID Jewelry, Diamonds by Lauren @Rockdiamond. I assume you’d need appointments however.
Leon Mege and Steven Kirsch (I think) are also in Manhattan.
Have fun! I also enjoy the window shopping, especially now that I am somewhat educated compared to when I used to go decades ago! :hand:

ETA Happy you’re feeling better. I have some hardware in my spine also. You deserve some bling!!!

Emerald City

Shiny_Rock
I’d start with ID Jewelry, Diamonds by Lauren @Rockdiamond. I assume you’d need appointments however.
Have fun! I also enjoy the window shopping, especially now that I am somewhat educated compared to when I used to go decades ago! :hand:

ETA Happy you’re feeling better. I have some hardware in my spine also. You deserve some bling!!!

Hello, hardware buddy! :) Isn't it a huge shock when you see the X-ray for the first time after surgery? I now have four screws in my lumbar spine total and three screws plus a plate at the front of my pelvis. That is one freaky-looking X-ray. Eek.

I'll look into those places! Thank you :) When you make an appointment to visit stores such as these, is there an expectation that you buy something that day? I am pretty broke and I don't want to waste anyone's time!

Hello, hardware buddy! :) Isn't it a huge shock when you see the X-ray for the first time after surgery? I now have four screws in my lumbar spine total and three screws plus a plate at the front of my pelvis. That is one freaky-looking X-ray. Eek.

I'll look into those places! Thank you :) When you make an appointment to visit stores such as these, is there an expectation that you buy something that day? I am pretty broke and I don't want to waste anyone's time!

I think you can tell them that you’re browsing/looking for ideas upfront and then ask for an appointment. I dont think that should be an issue, though I’ve never been to any of these jewelers since I don’t live in the US!

Emerald City

Shiny_Rock

Oh wow, Diamonds by Lauren has the most scrumptious pair of canary yellow diamond studs on her Web site, in a video! Not sure if they're They are still for sale! WOW. :kiss2:

Emerald City

Shiny_Rock
I think you can tell them that you’re browsing/looking for ideas upfront and then ask for an appointment. I dont think that should be an issue, though I’ve never been to any of these jewelers since I don’t live in the US!

I'll do that! I am kind of timid when asking for someone's time knowing up front I won't be buying anything. I know that the jewelry market is pretty harsh and they obviously need a high sales to browsing ratio. Still, I'll tamp down my timidity and ask! :)

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you can safely be honest and say for that day you are just browsing/narrowing down what bauble will scratch that itch!! Those earrings at DbL sound delish!! So much fun! Come back and show us some pics!! :)

I have a titanium harms cage, six screws and a plate up at C4-6. The X-rays!!! Eek, I know!! I hope your recovery went smoothly and you healed up perfectly!!

ETA DbL is owned by David and named after his DD I think? @Rockdiamond ?

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
ID Jewelry Yekutal

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thank you so much for the mention @Slick1 !!

Some general observations: ( keeping in mind, I'm extremely jaded)
Retail jewelry shopping on 47th street is like swimming with alligators.
It might seem quite nice, till someone gets bit:)
A seasoned PS member could likely have a ton of fun checking out the incredible Bull poop which seems to float around 47th street retail.......but for the uninitiated, it could be quite dangerous.

Speaking for us specifically.....our office is a wholesale setup- while we have welcomed literally thousands of folks up over the years, we don't have showcases, so we ask that folks look over the site and come with a list of things they'd like to see.
As a general rule- I'd bet most of the oft-mentioned vendors on PS would welcome visitors- probably, like us, with an appointment.

lala646

Brilliant_Rock
So glad to hear you're on the road to recovery, @Emerald City

If they're open, I love Eric Originals & Antiques - 22A W 47th St., and as @JPie mentioned, definitely try to see Alex Park, if he's around. My office is just a few blocks from the DD, so I often used to take lunch breaks to go window shopping. I always tell people I'm just browsing, and some will be friendlier than others. But enjoy yourself!

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ohh, also, downtown in the financial district is Greenwich St. Jewelers. They have lovely pieces!!

ETA paging @MollyMalone I think she may have suggestions as well.

Musia

Brilliant_Rock
Hello! Glad your surgery was a great success! I broke my ankle on Nov. 16 2020, had a surgery on Nov. 24, got screws and plate and had been disabled for 3 months. It is nothing comparing to your sturggles of course. But I had obtained some wisdom and knowledge as well as good survival skills trying to be functioning and useful...

Really hope you will walk and run some day, there is a medical negligence but medical miracles are also happening from time to time. Enjoy your shopping in New York! I am sending you a picture of my granddaughter's Moonstone rose with love and best wishes!
182146816_303519934573351_8595657634339524007_n.jpg

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
So glad you are doing better!

If you like antique diamonds, I believe Old World Diamonds is close to the Diamond District and it looks like Victor Barbone also has some beautiful pieces:)

Q

Queenie60

Diamonds by Lauren and ID Jewelry. Two of my favorites and have visited both!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dear @Emerald City
Im so glad the surgery went well
Best of luck with the healing and enjoy the window shopping

heididdl

Ideal_Rock

ID Jewelry is not a store front and although I'd love to say hi to Yekutel myself Idon't think a wheel chair would even fit in his space.

PastryGirl

Shiny_Rock
I like Matinee Jewelry. It is a really small storefront but the owners there are so friendly and NOT PUSHY AT ALL, which is fantastic. I have several pieces from them; they are honest, fairly priced and like to educate their customers.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results