shape
carat
color
clarity

im finished..kind of

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rockabuy

Rough_Rock
My six month "adventure" is almost over. I spent months searching the web for diamonds and websites. I was ready to order a diamond for inspection from a supplier out of Virginia in February, when Jan from Diamond Brokers told me she could get the same exact stone for 500.00 less. It was then that I learned that the majority of the brokers share the inventory of the suppliers, and some brokers have higer mark up than others. It turns out that after I procrastinated for a few days, the ring I was looking at was no longer available. I finally had two rings sent for inspection. One a 1.12 g si, and a second 1.07 g h&a si. Of course I bought the h&a even though it was about 500.00 more than the other ring. It just sparkled more, and the apraiser said that it was most likely vs2 not si. She felt that AGS was very strict in its grading of this stone. DBOF is definitely a service oriented company and they have competitive prices. I was going to buy the veragio setting, but eventually decided that the setting was too wide at the baguettes (@6.8 mm) and wanted the diamond to be "the center of attention." I was able to get a dealer in NY to bring the price down to 2600.00 so it was a tough decision. I ended up having a custom setting made in NYC, which cost substantially less than the Verragio. The setting is similiar but with two baguettes on each side instead of three. I picked the ring up yesterday, and it looks beautiful. The only problem I have is with the six prong basket. I myself was a basketcase when I picked it up as I only had an hour and a half to get the ring and run back to the train to get to the appraiser (Theresa Baltani in Uniondale) before she left for the day. The problem with the setting is that the diamond was supposed to sit lower. Some how I was a dumbass and I failed to notice this when i picked it up. I thought that they knew i wanted it to meet at the baguettes but I cant recall if i stressed this or not. My g/f does not like it sticking out to much. Im hoping this wont be difficult or costly to get changed? It is possible to change it?? The appraiser thought that this should not be a problem. I do not have time to try to fix this now so I'm going to wait until after the engagement. Im sure my gf will not want to part with the ring so Im hoping that to change the basket it wont take a few weeks just a few days at most?? I also am hoping to find a jewler on long island who can do this for me. Any suggestions?? Im Im going to Hiwaii next Friday and thats why I dont have time to get the setting fixed. I won a trip from my company for 5 paid days. We are actually extending and going to San Francisco first then on to Hiwaii, so I'm not sure if I'll even make it to the big island tp propose. All of the threads concerning flying and hiding the stone from my girlfriend have given me some ideas, which was helpful. Im posting a pic from the appraiser, but it does not do it justice. Hopefully i'll be able to get better pics. Below are the specs on the setting and stone:

1.07 rnd 6.54 -6.58-4.06
fl inert
polish, symetry proportions all ideal
white light upper high
color light very high
scintillation very high
setting
platinum
.33 in 4 princess vs1-2 sidestones
.39 4 vs1-2 baguettes

rockabuy

Rough_Rock
Here is the ring. I want to have the diamond sit lower. One more question the appraiser asked me how much I paid for the setting before giving me a value. I kind of wanted her to tell me how much she thought it was worth. She basically used that price for the full appraisal. Is this general practice for appraisals? She told me it had excellent polish and that everthing was tight.

rng.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congrats! The ring is beautiful.

One thing to note is that the same thing happened with my custom made ring...I wanted the stone to sit lower but in order to have the wedding ring sit flush against the ering..they had to create it with a higher head. First off..make sure that if you lower the head, you will be able to sit the ering flush IF that is what you want. Sometimes its a detail that people forget. Also....that said..once I got the ring and wore it for a while, I am very happy I didn't have it fixed and that they didn't set it further down. Why? Because I saw a ring similar to mine and it had a lower head and the side profile looked squashed and too flat. My ring has a beautiful side profile. So you may give it to your gf and she may decide she loves it after she wears it a while. It took me a few weeks to get used to it, but now I am glad its higher set. I also think it frames the stone better.

The picture of your ring looks gorgeous the way it is. Just be sure that if you decide to change it, it will not change the look too much or else you may be disappointed. Custom work is that way...you don't know what it looks like until you get it home!!

Good luck on the proposal!

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
-----------
One more question the appraiser asked me how much I
paid for the setting before giving me a value. I
kind of wanted her to tell me how much she thought
it was worth. She basically used that price for the
full appraisal. Is this general practice for
appraisals?
-----------

Although this may be common, in my opinion it is not correct procedure for appraising.

I feel an appraiser is supposed to tell you what an item is worth, not vica-versa.

rockabuy

Rough_Rock
thanks mara.. I have been agonizing all day whether or not to postpone and just get it changed. That would probably take two weeks after i go away and we have two frinds that are getting married in the next two months and I want it to be special for her. I'll let her make the decision no matter what.
thanks richard i'm also going to get a second appraisal after we get wedding bands. She was probably dead on with the ring, but I dont think she had the knowledge to appraise the setting at market value. I'm hoping that I can get insurance before I leave with jewlers mutual if i fax all information.

rockabuy

Rough_Rock
any more opinions on changing the basket? How long would a jewler need the ring for? It is possible to change it right? I'm going to leave it up to her, but I want to have answers to these questions for her beforehand. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results