shape
carat
color
clarity

I''m engaged! (Long... but pics at the end!)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
I''m engaged! I''m so, so happy. My newly-minted fiance (grin) and I got engaged on Valentine''s, which also happens to be the 8th anniversary of when we got together as freshmen in college! The proposal was a complete surprise!

We are currently on a trip to visit my family in Europe. Over V-Day weekend, we took a short skiing trip to a beautiful mountain village in Austria, where we had also spent Christmas 2007 with my folks. I knew that back then, FI fell in love with the place and the hotel we stayed at and really wanted to go again some time soon. Little did I know that he''d been checking the hotel''s website every morning for the past few weeks to see if any good last minute deals opened up, as the normal high season rates are very expensive. Well, he ended up getting a beautiful suite at a great rate and surprised me with the trip as a nice little getaway.

It''s hard to believe in hindsight, but I had absolutely no idea that he was planning a proposal. As I''ve written before on this board, he gave me an April timeline, which I believed. During the days before V-Day he even mentioned that he was very sorry he couldn''t propose "in such a pretty setting" because it was taking him a long time to find the right diamond (I will write more about that when I do my SMTR thread) and get the setting made. I totally bought it. Total decoy -- he is such a trickster!

On Valentine''s/our anniversary, we had an absolutely wonderful day that included some skiing, relaxing in the hotel''s sauna and spa, and a fantastic 5-course dinner. After dinner, FI said he wanted to take a walk and climb a ways up the mountain outside the hotel, like we had done a year ago at Christmas. You can see the town lights from up there and it''s a very pretty spot, right next to the ski slope. So we bundled up and went outside. On the way out, I thought we were getting funny looks from the hotel staff, but I thought that was because they were wondering why the heck we would venture outside in the cold that late at night... I had no idea they were all in on the surprise!

In any case, we climbed up the hill to "our" pretty spot, which, let me tell you, after a 5-course meal and a lot of champagne/wine is tiring! When we arrived I plopped down with my back to FI, saying "I''m tired. I need a break!" All of a sudden behind my back FI starts saying beautiful things about how I went up the hill with him even though I didn''t feel like it, because I knew it would mean a lot to him, and how much he loves me for that, etc., etc. The funny thing is that, since he had me 100% convinced that no proposal was going to happen, I totally did not get what was going on and thought he was mocking me by pretending to propose! Can you imagine? I even said "Stop it, why are you making fun of me, that''s not nice!" He just kept talking, so eventually I turned around and I see him on one knee and it starts to finally dawn on me that this might actually be serious! I think I just started bawling and saying "OMG, I don''t believe you, are you serious, OMG, OMG..." (I think I might have actually punched him (not hard, of course), I was so surprised and shocked!) Anyways... of course I said yes! I could not be happier. It was more meaningful and special than I could have ever imagined. I can''t believe he surprised me like that!

Well, to anyone who''s actually read this far, thanks for bearing with me, you are really nice! Without further ado, here are some pics!

-mscushion

ER Faves for LIW-0.jpg

miss_flo

Shiny_Rock
What a perfect, romantic proposal!! Congratulations, your ring is stunning!!

Definitely. Maybe

Brilliant_Rock
What a wonderful story!! Your ring is gorgeous!! So sparkley!! :)

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
This one shows the faceting of my lovely little cushion...
1.gif

mscushion1.jpg

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
One more ...

mscushion2.jpg

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
Last one...

mscushion3.jpg

Patiently_Waiting

Brilliant_Rock
Such a lovely proposal story and a sparkling gorgeous ring - congratulations!

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
wonderful story and stunning ring
30.gif

jcarlylew

Ideal_Rock
congrats!! beautiful story, wonderful ring, and backwards!! (wonderful story, and beautiful ring too!)

how was the staff in on the surprise?

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats! The ring is just beautiful!

Do you have the stats on the diamond?
31.gif

xoxo

Shiny_Rock
oh mscushion what a romantic proposal and a beautiful ring. Have a great vacation as well.

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
Thank you, ladies!
35.gif

jcarlylew: I left this part out, otherwise my post would have taken up 5 pages! The staff was in on it all because the ring, having only been finished on Tuesday on the West Coast for a Saturday proposal in a remote mountain village in Austria, had to be shipped there, which apparently was a near-disaster as Austrian customs were being very difficult and only released it last minute -- in fact, when FI and I walked out of the lobby on Friday to go snow-shoeing, the delivery person apparently passed me entering the lobby, box in hand. Poor FI nearly had a heart attack. The hotel staff helped FI find a shipping company, deal with customs, distract me, etc. They were fantastic!

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
Beachrunner: Thanks! It''s a 1.54 ct cushion brilliant, F, VS1. The dimensions are 7.78 x 6.24 x 4.21, which means almost a 1:25 L:W ratio, which is exactly what I was looking for. I don''t have stats on the side stones yet.

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/17/2009 11:15:15 AM
Author:mscushion
I totally did not get what was going on and thought he was mocking me by pretending to propose! Can you imagine? I even said ''Stop it, why are you making fun of me, that''s not nice!'' He just kept talking, so eventually I turned around and I see him on one knee and it starts to finally dawn on me that this might actually be serious! I think I just started bawling and saying ''OMG, I don''t believe you, are you serious, OMG, OMG...'' (I think I might have actually punched him (not hard, of course), I was so surprised and shocked!)
lol this is TOTALLY something FF would do to me and what I would do too! Too cute....and funny!

Congratulations to you! I loved reading your proposal story. So incredibly romantic...you lucky girl you! The ring is stunningly gorgeous too!!! Love the fire shot. I''d love to see more photos when you make a SMTR thread.

Congrats again!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/17/2009 11:52:20 AM
Author: mscushion
Beachrunner: Thanks! It''s a 1.54 ct cushion brilliant, F, VS1. The dimensions are 7.78 x 6.24 x 4.21, which means almost a 1:25 L:W ratio, which is exactly what I was looking for. I don''t have stats on the side stones yet.

Gorgeous! Don''t you love how clear F stones are!? I have an F color emerald cut, and I love it
30.gif

I second the more pictures request!

BlueSki231

Brilliant_Rock
oh WOW that is one gorgeous ring!! and a proposal in the mountains of austria?!? you are one lucky lady!! congrats!!
i want more info on the setting! i love it!! is it custom? can we see a profile shot??
31.gif

tlh

Ideal_Rock
Congrats!!!!!!!!!! and your ring is GORGEOUS!
30.gif

stephbolt

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations! I adore your ring, so pretty! Love that the staff at the hotel was all in on the plan, how wonderful that it stayed a surprise till the end.

idreamofcushions

Brilliant_Rock
What a wonderful proposal!!! Perfect setting for one, too! I''ve been to Austria once and would love to go back :D

And my goodness, that ring is a stunner!!!

Congratulations!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Blackpaw

Ideal_Rock
Yay congratulations mscushion
36.gif
your ring is gorgeous and you have a fantastic proposal story - i love that you thought he wasnt serious at first
30.gif

laughwithme

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful ring, CONGRATS!

Lulie

Shiny_Rock
Gorgeous Ring, congrats!

Iowa Lizzy

Brilliant_Rock
That is such a beautiful and romantic proposal story! It just warms my little heart!
36.gif

Now, on the the ring, that baby is a stunner! Go start a SMTR thread and post as many pictures as you can take! It''s fantastic!!!

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oooh nice fire in that last shot!!!

Congratulations, your ring is beautiful and your story is sweet.

ams0124

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats!!! How wonderful!

Your ring is just beautiful....I love that fire shot!!! and the proposal it just so cute and romantic! Your FI did a great job suprising you!

Congrats again to you and your FI!!!

Happy Planning my dear!!!
2.gif

nail_polish

Shiny_Rock

CONGRATULATIONS! :)
How splendid!

Winks_Elf

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Gorgeous! Congratulations!!!
36.gif

misskitty

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats!! The ring is stunning, and I love the story! Super cute how the hotel staff helped things along :)

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congratulations!!!!!!!

sammyj

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations!!! Your ring is a stunner!!!
30.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results