shape
carat
color
clarity

I''m engaged, let the dress shopping begin haha!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey all, we finally got engaged so now I am slowly looking for dresses, no hurry.

I have no idea where to look, but I''m looking for a simple silk or satin gown that is ivory or champagne colored (white doesn''t look good with my skin tone). I''m petite (5''3 size 6) so puffy gowns make me look like I am about 16. I really like cowl necks and low v-necks that aren''t too tacky. I''ve found a couple on j-crew that are lovely and in budget, but I''m worried they don''t have enough lining. My budget is modest about $300, have any ideas or websites?

Thanks for your help!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Another thing is that I want to skip the train. Do you think I''ll be able to find a gown like this, or is my budget too low?

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
ann taylor and white house black market have wedding gowns as well. Obviously they are cheaper than at a Bridal shop. I am 5''1" and I have a ball gown style dress. Have you tried one on? You might be surprise. It made me feel like a bride. I love it. I personally cannot do a drop waist because I am so short. I also thought I wanted an ivory dress but ended up with a white dress so basically my best advice is to try on as many dresses and styles as possible.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/10/2006 5:22:26 PM
Author: kcoursolle
Another thing is that I want to skip the train. Do you think I'll be able to find a gown like this, or is my budget too low?

In that case your best bet would be white/ivory bridesmaid dresses. Less money! I think you could find something in your budget.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good advice Tacori. I''m not entirely against the idea of puffier gowns, I will definitely try all sorts of gowns on. In general though, I like dresses that are a bit simple, fluid, and classic...but if I see one that I love that looks great on me, I wouldn''t be against buying it.

I never even thought of looking at bridesmaid dresses, what a great idea!! I bet they would be cheaper. Do you know of any websites besides david''s bridal? I really don''t know where to even begin shopping.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ebree, good finds!!! Those last three were a lot like what I was looking for!!! Do you know if those dresses are pretty expensive? I can call them next week to find out too. I keep looking at the last two. They are gorgeous and almost vintage looking. They match my style very well.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh, I LOVE #2 and #3, they are beautiful!
36.gif

bobacha

Shiny_Rock
http://a6.dessy.com/index.cfm?go=bridal&style=1003

You might want to check out David''s Bridal too.. I think their dresses are cheaper than at other bridal stores ..

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
ooooh, that gown is gorgeous too, but the neckline is maybe a little too low. I do like low v-necks though. I''d hate to bend over and show my grandma my cleavege!

bobacha

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/10/2006 9:32:56 PM
ooooh, that gown is gorgeous too, but the neckline is maybe a little too low. I do like low v-necks though. I''d hate to bend over and show my grandma my cleavege!
LOL haha I agree .. it''s too low for me too.. but I just thought it''s pretty :)

good luck in finding your dress.. post them here if you need help choosing ;-)

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think if you love it and it is a bit too low cut, you can put a pretty piece of lace in the v to make it a bit less plunging!!!

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/10/2006 6:42:35 PM
Ebree, good finds!!! Those last three were a lot like what I was looking for!!! Do you know if those dresses are pretty expensive? I can call them next week to find out too. I keep looking at the last two. They are gorgeous and almost vintage looking. They match my style very well.
I highly doubt they''re more than $300. My guess would be anywhere from $200-$250. Have you heard of www.pearlsplace.com? Apparently, they have great prices.

tracys126

Shiny_Rock
Ebree,

OMG! These dresses are great. And a lot like what I am looking for too.

Thank you for posting them
36.gif

tracys126

Shiny_Rock
Reread your post. I love the Jcrew dresses but I don't think there is anywhere we can try them on. I mean, I think they are catalogue only, which worries me!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ebree, that''s great that they are not expensive, fabulous!!

Tracy, that dress is really pretty too. I haven''t decided on a neckline yet...I origionally thought v-neck or cowl, but who knows.

tracys126

Shiny_Rock
Hi k,

I really like that one, but I would worry it is too thin. I will probably have to deal with some wind since I will have a beach wedding, so I am going to try for thicker, or more lining. I have a little bellly that I need to hide!

But it''s pretty!
emteeth.gif

Actually, if you see anything for a mexico wedding, let me know! I really like your style!

Thanks!
Tracy

Our new wedding website

BrightSpot

Ideal_Rock
kcoursolle, congrats on your engagement!
36.gif

I think you should have no problem finding the dress you''re looking for within your budget. I LOVE all of the dresses Ebree posted! When I was dress shopping I looked at lots of bridesmaid dresses & especially loved the Lazaro gowns.

I ordered several J Crew dresses to try on as well. They are indeed catalog only, but you can return them either via mail or to a store, no worries. The fabric was lovely, but the fit was a bit too nightgowny for me. Your experience may be different.

Lots of department stores sell informal bridal gowns as well. Check out Nordstrom''s online Wedding Shop.

Good luck! Maybe you could post pics of you when you try on different dresses. The ladies of PS were so helpful to me when I was dress shopping. Thanks again, girls & good luck, kcoursolle!
35.gif

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Watters has a pretty satin cowl neck dress. I don't think it has a train and it comes in several colors, including "antique" which looks like a dark ivory.
Watters 7034b

ETA: It's $344 at House of Brides-link

jorman

Brilliant_Rock
Hey kcoursolle:

My dress is a JCrew dress and I love love it! I was worried about the fabric too, but was surprised at the thickness of the silk and it is lined. You can''t see anything through it and it hangs heavily to the ground. The deep V looks more scandalous on the model than me I think. I took it for alterations this morning. It fits nicely, snugly in the right places and doesn''t show the problem areas.

I definitely suggest trying their dresses on. It is worth it!
Also, you can order as many as you want to try on in the store- free shipping and if you don''t like it, they return it for you. I had a great experience and recommend them highly!

Here is a picture of me in my Jcrew dress:

dress pi for kcoursolle.jpg

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
oooh, I love that waters dress, the neckline is very flattering! Thanks for posting that.

Jorman, you look fabulous in your dress thanks for posting it! I will have to check them out. If I can return them, it doesn''t really hurt to try a few on.

Faerievert

Shiny_Rock
have you checked out Jessica McClintock? They''ve got some great bridesmaid dress for under $200 (I just ordered one today to be in a friend''s wedding next month) that come in white/ivory.

lovemybug

Rough_Rock
if you don''t want a train and you have a budget, you might want to think about ordering a bridesmaids dress in white. that was my original plan, and i found quite a few that would work for a wedding dress before i decided that wasn''t the way i wanted to go. just a thought....

tracys126

Shiny_Rock
Hi Jorman,

Thanks for the post! Yay!

Did you try others ones? How was returning those?

What is the name of this one. It''s so pretty. But I am kinda of flat chested..how do you think it will fit?

Thanks!
Tracy

jorman

Brilliant_Rock
My dress is the Avery. It is $295.
There are several others on their website right now that are cute though. I am pretty small on the chest side too. I wear a B. Strapless doesn''t look as good on me as a strappy dress does, but if strapless is a good look for you they have a really cute one.

Good luck!

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
We did J.Crew also. For the engagement pic, altho they had some that would look good for the wedding. Return was awesome. No questions asked. We ordered 2 or 3 styles and a couple diff sizes cuz we weren''t sure how they''d turn out in real life. Picked the one we liked, then returned the others at a B&M store.

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
How about this dress? I found it on the Group USA website for $299.99. I don''t know if they have a store by you though.

4423BACK.jpg

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
These dreses are all beautiful, thanks for all of the ideas!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results