carat
color
clarity

I'm considering getting AC

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't believe it.
I recently read some statistic on the percentage of Americans with AC today compared to 20 years ago.
Just about everyone has AC now.
I don't remember the exact numbers but let's just say I think we are turning into a bunch of wimps.
I think of it as an opulent luxury, especially in this Southern California beach city.
A couple of my neighbors recently were shocked we don't have it.

I think I may be too. ;(
I was at Costco today and they had 12,000 BTU window units for $249, and 8,000 BTUs for $189.

Hmmm.
I know it is the monthly electricity bill that gets you.
Currently ours is only about $30 to $50 a month.

I'm just afraid we'll use it too much.
Like when it is 90 to 100 I think it is fine to use it but once it is in the house I'll bet I'll use it any time it's over 80.

I hate wasting energy and being a wimp.
What should I do?
I'm really torn.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Kenny you don't have AC?? Ok short answer come stay with me in Philly where we are 100 plus and add the heat index. AC is a must.

I know the temps there are getting super hot. I can't imagine not having AC....

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny, I can't imagine you living in California and not having air conditioning! I don't think it's a matter of anyone being a wimp or not, but I guess in some weird way I understand what you're saying because my husband often says to me that he tolerates certain things to see how much he can suffer without caving. I guess that's a guy thing, but in any case, buy a couple of air conditioners. It won't cost you as much as you think because the units are very energy efficient these days and you can (to save a watt) put them on timers and have them go on an hour before you come home from work. Then just use them them to sleep at night.

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I'd have AC if I lived in California, because I detest being too hot and because I'd pay any amount of money to be comfortable generally. If you're happy without it though, why bother? Personally, I'd buy and pay for running that before I'd buy food, but I really don't like hot places. :)) Oh, and I'd run it to combat any temp much over 65 degrees. :bigsmile:

Jen

sctsbride09

Brilliant_Rock
Kenny, I live in Ca and we have AC. We dont run it all the time, just on days where it is practically unbearable to be outside. If you run it only on the times where you really need it, the bill isnt so bad. I think its worth the extra cost for a few days a month.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Get AC! I don't think it would be that expensive, especially if you only run it when needed.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it is a luxury - but it's one that everyone deserves...

I understand your concerns about the electricity bill - it's never great to add on any expense...but I think once you do you won't regret it. Your house will FEEL more comfortable, the air feels different...I think things "keep" better too, in general.

Like sctsbride said, be mindful of when you use it - I believe they say 78 degrees helps keep the house cool but the electricity bill low. Maybe do some research on being energy efficient with it that so you feel more in control of what to do/not do.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As far as I'm concerned there are no brownie points given for "toughness", or dying from heatstroke.

When I was in my teens and early 20's, I used to bike in 95 degrees. I lived in an un-airconditioned dorm in college. I've always been very sparing with the AC all my life. But you know what? I am pushing 50 in a climate that as often as not, hits triple digits. I just can't be that "tough" anymore. I don't know how old you are Kenny, but I can tell you, dealing with the heat is not going to get easier going forward. Age does not improve your ability to deal, it erodes it actually. It's something to think about.

Southern Cali is dry isn't it? What about a swamp cooler?

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just get it! Trust me-it's worth it for the super hot days. We don't have central air in our house but have 1 window unit in the upstairs hallway that keeps pretty much the entire upstairs cool. Last night we went and bought another window unit for downstairs and just installed it an hour ago. It already feels better! It's been in the hundreds here and I'm tired of sweating whenever I do more than sit on the couch downstairs. (I vacuumed yesterday and was drenched in sweat!) We went for a smaller unit (6500 BTUs) because the one upstairs works so well and it's the same size. Plus we're planning to get central air installed within the next 6-8 months or so and we didn't feel like shelling out for a pricier, larger unit.

soocool

Ideal_Rock
We installed a new heat pump a few months ago, so in the summer it is our AC and in the winter our heater. We have ceiling fans in most of the rooms and run these all day long and I have found that the AC doesn't work as hard. If you get the right size unit whether it is a central or window unit, it will be more energy efficient. As long as you can keep the humidity levels low indoors it is more comfortable.

I am also 50+ who used to love the hot temps, but no longer can deal with the extremes in temp.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I say go for it. You don't have to run it all the time, and you can put it on a timer. I grew up with no AC and lived in dorms at college with none, and I survived...but I certainly don't want to return to those days, I'm getting too old. If wanting to be comfortable in my home makes me a wimp, then so be it!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm in my low 50s but don't understand what that has to do with it. :confused:

MsP

Brilliant_Rock
Kaleigh said:
Kenny you don't have AC?? Ok short answer come stay with me in Philly where we are 100 plus and add the heat index. AC is a must.

I know the temps there are getting super hot. I can't imagine not having AC....

I lived all through college in Philly with no AC... I have AC now, but I keep it at 84. After living without for several years, I think I've just learned to acclimate.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Where I live in Canada, central AC is a given. I have used window units in the past, when we lived on the west coast. What I found most useful about them, was to place it in the bedroom, so sleeping is easy. Most people can put up with heat, but need a cooler place to sleep. Your electric bill wouldn't be that bad if you just used it during certain hours to cool the bedroom.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I couldnt go without AC, we got central air about 10 years ago and I have never looked back...now keep in mind we all have asthma and the AC helps with that...

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Oh for Pete's sake, Kenny, just do it!!!

I live in NW PA, and our summers are usually pretty temperate, but the last few years they have been HOT! Add in some humidity and egads, it can be stifling. Being so hot just sucks the life out of me. Getting central AC was some of the best $ we have ever spent!!!

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny said:
I'm in my low 50s but don't understand what that has to do with it. :confused:

Well, I can only speak to being female of a certain age, but my thermostat certainly ain't working exactly as it did some years ago.

Why are you thinking about this now? What prompted this consideration of AC?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's hot.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Kenny, just do it. We have it in Nantucket as well. Central two zones.. I can freeze my butt as much as I like without freezing the rest of the house. BUT I am in that stage....so best to agree with me...LOL!!!!! :cheeky:

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmm... PS ate my post. Bad PS!

Kenny - I don't have AC either, and I live in the Central Valley. I live in an old home that was built before there was air conditioning, and it's oriented to take advantage of the late-night delta breezes. Several years ago I invested in a whole-house fan and security screen doors front and back. Now I just flip on the fan once it cools down outside, and again when I get up in the morning, and the house usually stays comfortable enough for the whole day.

Of course there are those rare, multi-day heat waves in which it's still over 85 degrees out at, like, 10 PM. The whole house fan doesn't help then, and I just sort of have to suffer through them. One of these days I'll get a window unit for my bedroom so I'll at least have one cool place, and so I can at least sleep comfortably during those stinker heat waves.

If you own the house you're living in, you might want to consider a whole house fan. It's a nice, energy-efficient alternative to "conditioned" air, and there's no point in over-using it.

If you're renting, or if the whole house fan doesn't appeal to you, then by all means get a window unit! Sure your electricity bills will be a bit higher, but your quality of life will go way, way up!

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'll second Lyra on the use of a window unit for the bedroom.

In my case due to how the house is constructed I run a window unit on the 2nd floor - and with a fan blowing air into the bedroom. If I keep the 2nd floor cool - the rest of the house is bearable (still can be warm and humid on the worst days - but bearable).

I also run a dehumidifier in the basement. The basement is where I head for cool and dry during the day.

The window AC usually only is used about 4 months a year. Yes, it adds to the electric bill - but on those hot sunny days the 2nd floor gets so hot (there in no attic).

Ideally central AC would be nice - but major housework would need to be done as this is a hot water heated house and their are no air ducts. The day I wish to tear out the chimney - and the 2nd floor ceiling (which is very nice plaster) is the day I'll have the chance to significantly change what happens to the "upstairs climate."

Perry

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
We live in Ontario, Canada which is not known for its heat in any season, BUT neither DH nor I would be without it.

I realize you value being thrifty and frugal so that you can have more beautiful diamonds in your life, but really.... :-o

Winks_Elf

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I'm in NJ, and it's not just the heat that's a problem, but the humidity AND the air quality. It gets so hot and humid it's literally hard to breathe, let alone sleep. Our house doesn't have central air, but two out of the four upstairs bedrooms have a window unit, and we put one down in my husband's bedroom-turned-music room. The only one allowed to run during the daytime is in our bedroom, because that's where I keep our Staffies during the hot daytime.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kenny, I think you should get it.

I live in Wyoming where we have 9 months of winter and 3 months of mostly cold weather :lol: but we still get days in the 80's and 90's where AC is a must if you want to sleep. We got it put in about 4 years ago now and have not regretted it for one single moment. Our house used to in near 100 at night and we simply couldn't sleep.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Think of the dogs!???!!! Don't they get listless & nauseous in the heat? My poor pup doesn't even like it in our semi air-conditioned house (our downstairs window unit is getting up in years & isn't producing the ice-cold air it used to).

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Our doggies like to sit in front of the fan. :praise:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
VRBeauty said:
Hmmm... PS ate my post. Bad PS!

Kenny - I don't have AC either, and I live in the Central Valley. I live in an old home that was built before there was air conditioning, and it's oriented to take advantage of the late-night delta breezes. Several years ago I invested in a whole-house fan and security screen doors front and back. Now I just flip on the fan once it cools down outside, and again when I get up in the morning, and the house usually stays comfortable enough for the whole day.

Of course there are those rare, multi-day heat waves in which it's still over 85 degrees out at, like, 10 PM. The whole house fan doesn't help then, and I just sort of have to suffer through them. One of these days I'll get a window unit for my bedroom so I'll at least have one cool place, and so I can at least sleep comfortably during those stinker heat waves.

If you own the house you're living in, you might want to consider a whole house fan. It's a nice, energy-efficient alternative to "conditioned" air, and there's no point in over-using it.

If you're renting, or if the whole house fan doesn't appeal to you, then by all means get a window unit! Sure your electricity bills will be a bit higher, but your quality of life will go way, way up!

Thanx I'll look into it a central fan also I've been reading about swamp coolers.
We own the house, which was made in 1920s and has very thick heavy stucco/plaster walls so it actually stays cool through the morning.
We have an inside/outside thermometer and I open/close windows when the two temps match in the summer and winter to take advantage of the natural daily cycle.
There are overhangs shading most south and west windows.
So we got it pretty good in terms of the structure itself and how we use it.

There are only about 10 days a year when I pine for AC.
The problem is I'm human and if we get AC I'll bet I'd use it for 100 days a year, not 10. :|

I have not noticed a change in heat tolerance based on my age.
This is something I consider every year to some degree.

doodle

Brilliant_Rock
Hey, think of it this way--if almost everyone has AC, not having it could be a major issue if you were ever to try to sell your place since so many people see it as a basic necessity now. I figure for whatever I spend on AC in the hot Georgia summer, I'm saving a bundle in the winter; we turn our heat on maaaaybe one day a year. You can always add more clothing if you're cold, but one can only get so naked, you know?

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
What does HE want? I think it might be best to give it to him. :mrgreen:

We don't have air conditioning so you can swap carbon credits with us. :razz:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results