shape
carat
color
clarity

I''m almost done deciding what and where to go... any input or suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jeffsentra

Rough_Rock
Alright, I think I may have found the place to do my proposal. I have to discuss it with the manager today but I spoke to her on the phone yesterday and she seemed quite positive. It is a small art gallery at the University here in Toronto. It has one large room with a bunch of art pieces hung on the walls. Then it has a smaller room with display cases on the walls with various artifacts from the Christian era. Then there is a large room with a swiss structural design display.

The first large room is the most nicest but it is very large so I’m not sure if that would be a good place to do it. I am thinking if I do it there I could have a piece of artwork that I have put up on the wall with a little description of it beside but instead of the traditional description I would put a little blurb about the two of us ending it with something like and now he would like to spend the rest of his life with her…. Then after she read it I would get down and propose.
What do you think? I don't know if I should have flowers for her as well or if the ring will be good enough?

Does anyone know of any good quotes about love or something like that which I can write on the placard beside the painting?

SoonIHope

Ideal_Rock
That''s so exciting!! I''m so glad you found a good place!

If it were me, I think I would prefer if you did it in the smaller room, because it would be more private there. I really like the idea of the picture with the personalized caption! I would think you don''t need flowers, mainly because they''re harder to hide, so she might catch on.
1.gif

GOOD LUCK!!!!!

zdrastvootya

Shiny_Rock
Good job on finding a venue! Didn''t even know it was there, and I just live a few blocks away.

I think no need for flowers - might give you away, and the ring should be more than enough.

Z.

jeffsentra

Rough_Rock
I have everything confirmed. The art gallery will let me propose there. I am allowed to put my picture in their function room which is right off of the gallery. I took it to get framed today it s an african tinga tinga painting with two birds.
I am going to probably set the painting on an easel with a caption beside it. I was also thinking of putting flowers on the table .... but as you are saying that might give it away. But I''m thinking that when she goes into this large function room and there is only the one painting she might think something is fishy anyways?
What do you think?
What about if I have a vase with roses in it beside the painting. I was also thinking of having rose peddles and some candles...
Any suggestions... its getting close!
thanks so much
Jeff

ellewoods

Shiny_Rock
I''m so glad you found such a nice place to propose! That art museum looks great and it sounds like the staff is very supportive.

I don''t think you should have flowers there. As much as women love flowers, I think they''ll give it away if you have them in the museum, and you don''t need them there with the nice environment and your framed painting. I can''t remember if you live in Toronto or not.....but I think I remember that you guys are going there for the weekend right?

Well if you''re going there and staying at a hotel, I would suggest that you go to the museum and propose. Have the concierge or someone at the hotel put flowers, roses, candles, etc. in your room for when you return. That way you can give your fiance the romance of flowers and candles, but not have it complicate the art museum part. I''m sure they''ll be more than happy to help you at the hotel. Good luck!

snuga

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations! It sounds like you have it all figured out! Personally, I would love the flowers (but I''m a flowers-kind-of-girl). Please keep us posted on what you decide and how it all goes! It''s coming up soon! Good Luck!
36.gif

jeffsentra

Rough_Rock
hmm I''m really torn on the flower issue. My thinking is that when I bring her into the private function room and all there is is an easle with a painting and a description she is going to know something funny is going on.. .. but then again she might not realize that there is something funny going on. Excuse me while I think and type at the same time...
If she just thinks that this is another part of the art centre''s display she will be surprised when she reads the description of the painting. Which is the best case scenario. In this case its probably not a good idear to have flowers with the painting. I was thinking it would be nice if I decorated the area with flowers, rose peddles and some candles. But the truth is we won''t be staying there very long either. We will then go for a walk and then to dinner.

So my options are 1) No flowers in the art centre and just have an easle with the painting and a description
2) flowers, candles, and rose peddles with the painting and description.
3) Same as number one but keep a bunch of roses hidden from her sight and give it to her after i propose.
4) Deliver flowers to her room at home and have it as a surprise when she gets home.

ellewoods: I am from toronto so I won''t be staying in a hotel.

Thanks for helping me to figure this out!
Jeff

ellewoods

Shiny_Rock
Hi again Jeff.

Here''s my thinking. I am definitely a romantic type girl and I would love every romantic element, such as flowers, candles, rose petals sprinkled around, chilled champagne or white wine....etc.

But with your location, I think it''s beautiful enough without doing all of that. I think you can manage to bring her to the private room without her knowing what''s going on (I mean no girl will expect you to propose right in the middle of a museum, if anything she might think it will happen at dinner or right before or after). Also, if you have flowers, etc. at the museum, she (or you) are going to have to carry them around with you to the walk afterwards, dinner, etc. which might be a hassle.

I think there are many different points in your proposal day/night that you can incorporate all of those extra romantic elements. Like for dinner, do you already have a place picked out? You can talk to them before hand and arrange for them to have red roses at the table, along with a bottle of champagne or wine, etc. Then perhaps for dessert, they can bring out a special dessert lit up with candles -- sort of like when restaurants do a birthday celebration for someone -- but this time it will be a congratulations for your engagement. You can even ask her to marry you again at that point if you wish.
2.gif
It will just add to the wonderful romantic night you two are having, to have some special touches at the restaurant already planned out and ready when you get there and the waiter (and other restaurant staff) treating you special and giving their congratulations -- trust me, your girlfriend will cherish every special effort and detail you''ve put into this night.

Next, do you have a friend or relative in Toronto who can help you out while you and your girlfriend are out to the museum and dinner? You can give them a key to your place, etc. and have them set up candles, romantic flowers, more champagne.....a big bubble bath with candles and rose petals all over....anything your heart desires.
1.gif
So when you and your then-fiance come home, she will be treated to even more romance.

I definitely love your proposal idea of a small, beautiful museum. I think it will be very special and unique. In my dream proposal....I really have no idea what my perfect proposal would be like....but I think it would be wonderful to stretch the romance and euphoria and wonderful special moments as long as possible, like over a day. So I think you''re 100% on the right track with a romantic proposal in the museum, then a nice walk around the city, then a romantic dinner.....but there''s little things you can add which don''t cost much but just add to the specialness of the day (such as special touches at dinner.....more romantic touches when you get home that night, etc.)

Oooh I''m thinking as I''m typing here.....but what if you make a special menu for dinner? That might be kind of hard....but you can do something on the computer and print it on nice paper or cardstock.....and do something like

JEFF AND JANE''S ENGAGEMENT DINNER

-spinach salad with roasted beets, goat cheese, walnuts and raspberry vinegrette

-maryland crabcakes with cajun aioli

-filet mignon with green peppercorn sauce, buttermilk mashed potatos, haricots verts

DESSERT: Jane''s amazing love for the rest of my life

OK I''m getting carried away but I''m just imagining small things you can do to incorporate all the romance you want.
1.gif

Hooray Jeff! Good luck!

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
I love you plans! You have really thought every thing through.

The framed piece on the easel is really going to make your themed evening. I also think the museum "curator" is quite a wonderful lady for giving you such freedom. In respect to her...I would suggest no fringe fluff. The candle thing may be a stretching your welcome a tad. I don''t know candle...FIRE...art....FIRE...valuables...FIRE...ahhh-NOT SO MUCH. This next sentence is a tad blunt...I don''t mean to offend just make you think about it- Who is going to clean up this romantic petal scattered melted wax clutter mess? You don''t want to take the time to do it...you have more to do with the evening. You can''t ask the museum lady. Your hands will be full with your treasured frame piece and your fiance''s hand, what do you need with a cardboard box carrying out your candles etc. With your plans, you don''t need the normal trappings. Save the flowers, candles, etc for your future arsenal. Flowers can surprise her at the restaurant...or back at her home. A buddy can aid in this...or the restaurant would be more than happy to extend your romantic shenanigans. A separate table at a restaurant can be rose petal scattered and waiting for you. Your tip will compensate for the extra time they take for setup and cleanup. A special candelabra only on your table...will allow your ROMANTIC FIRE BUG out!!

There are many exhibitions I have been to, that only one or two items are in a room. While walking through our local museum there are constantly revolving displays...I would think nothing of only one SPECIAL piece in a room alone...in fact I would be far more intrigued and drawn to it.

I think your biggest problem will be your giving it away...as you walk in that room you need to be prepared. You are going to be the nervous one. She doesn''t have a clue...but you are about to say the most precious words you have ever spoken...the frogs are going to be jumping and butterflies will be fluttering. Don''t blow it. This is also the first time you have seen that artwork! With no hesitation, no difference in step, be as intrigued as she will be.

Can you provide more information about your art work of choice? This may help come up with a phrase.

It is often hard to write true meaning of thought on a one dimensional medium...so I hope you read this post with the light hearted tone I intended to express. Again these thoughts are just my opinion. Whatever you work out will be perfect...because it is coming from you, and you heart is obvious filled with love for her. Thrilled for you!!
36.gif

SoonIHope

Ideal_Rock
Hi Jeff!

I''m getting so excited for your proposal!!!! You WILL remember to post full details (& pics!) after the fact right????
9.gif

I agree with Elle & Doorknob that you should try to make the museum setting look as "normal" as possible so you can really surprise her when she sees the caption and then you propose. Then, have someone prepare the restaurant and/or apartment so that the next place(s) you go are all set up with candles and rose petals! That way she will be completely surprised by the proposal itself, and then get additional mini-surprises as the night goes on that show how much thought & effort you put into making this the perfect night for her! SO EXCITING!!!
9.gif

jeffsentra

Rough_Rock
The piece of art is an african painting that I picked up a couple years ago when I was in Tanzania. It is a tinga tinga painting which is very colourful. It has two large birds which take up both side of the painting. Then in the middle there are a bunch of smaller birds. It''s main colour is blue. I wish I had a picture of it but I don''t it''s currently getting framed. It''s funny because the frame costs 20X more than the actual painting. It looks like the picture I have attached but the two birds on the sides take up the whole side.

I am thinking that I will just go with the painting and caption.
Then I might arrange to have roses put on our table at dinner as well as some at her home too.

I''m going to meet her father for lunch and ask for his blessings etc...
Wish me luck!
Jeff

tinga.jpg

jeffsentra

Rough_Rock
Well everything is set. I have met her father and he is excited. I also received the ring via fedex this am and it looks beautiful!

Here is the little excerpt I''m going to put beside the painting. Please let me know what you think and if there is anything I can do to make it sound better ;-)

Love Endures Forever

This piece of art is of African origin made in Tanzania. The two birds have joined together in this picture because of their deep love for each other. The smaller birds represent the intertwining of thoughts and feelings between the two birds. Underneath the smaller birds is a bird which has unified all the thoughts feelings and emotions of the two birds and is ready to take flight into the future. It is similar to a young couple who have grown close to each other so much in the past that they couldn’t imagine living another day without each other. Distance and time could not separate the two of them. While the distance between them might have been thousands of kilometers away, their hearts were still together and forever it shall remain. Forever and Always, I will Love You!

SoonIHope

Ideal_Rock
That''s sooooo sweet, I love it!!!! And I''m sure she will too!!!!!!! Be sure to let us know how it goes!!!!!!! (WITH PICTURES!
9.gif
)

snogirl17

Shiny_Rock
OK i just read this whole thread and i got chills reading what your caption is going to say.. WOW... great work.. and good luck... she is one lucky lady!

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
Perfect. The icing on the cake. PLEASE give us a play by play...or color comentary...

Really impressed with your insight on the artwork. No one could have gone the distance your heart did in interpretation.

Thrilled for you! DKS

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results