shape
carat
color
clarity

I'm a juror on a trial now

CalliopeCladdagh

Shiny_Rock
I've been called 4 times in only 14 years of eligibility, so I find it a bit hard to believe that their selection process is 'random'... This is compared with my husband, parents, etc who have never been called.

The first time, I was 18 years old and I managed to get through all the various stages and ended up on a trial that lasted over a week with multiple serious charges. Details we had to listen to and make judgements on were disturbing. While I was a pretty mature 18 year old, in general I do not believe that people that young should be put in that position. Or have that much power over someone's life. Ideally I think service should begin at 25 once the brain is more developed, but I see that many people would find that too old considering people can join the armed forces etc much younger (this is a problem in itself). So perhaps 21 would be a better compromise.

Probably the most frustrating part for me was interacting with the other jurors. There was one in particular who patronised me, and everyone else, at every opportunity because they believed they knew better than all the rest of us due to their background. In the end, after two days' solid, exhausting deliberating, our verdicts were all hung 11-1 because this person would not budge. This was just before the law was changed to allow judges to accept 11-1 verdicts in certain circumstances. I often think about the consequences of that trial and its outcome.

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
Try not to condemn ppl too hard for not serving. (I went for 3 or 4 days before i was dismissed).
I have 6 kids plus a serious illness that truly impedes my ability to sit for hours in a courtroom & all other requirements.

Other ppl cannot be there because of religious holidays that might be at the same time as a trial.

It's not always so simple that people just want to shirk their responsibilities.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Try not to condemn ppl too hard for not serving. (I went for 3 or 4 days before i was dismissed).
I have 6 kids plus a serious illness that truly impedes my ability to sit for hours in a courtroom & all other requirements.

Other ppl cannot be there because of religious holidays that might be at the same time as a trial.

It's not always so simple that people just want to shirk their responsibilities.

I agree with you 100%.
That's why in my opening post I wrote ...

"So many people bend over backwards to not serve.
I say, shame on people who shirk their civic duty if it is possible and truly not a hardship for them to serve.
You can google up many ways to answer a lawyer's juror interview questions to get yourself dismissed from getting onto a trial. :naughty: :nono:"

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is my last year to be exempt as my youngest is now 12. I hope I get called sometime. I think it would be interesting.

I participated in a mock jury when I was in grad school. Before going to civil court, a lot of times these are held to see how a jury might rule. It was Ma Bell vs. AT&T if I remember correctly. It was quite boring but they paid $50 for the first half of the day and if you were selected for the 2nd half, it was $100. That was a ton in grad school.

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry @kenny I didn't read your post carefully enough!
I still sat thru the jury selection process though it left me quite sick.
Today i doubt i would be able to attend at all.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry @kenny I didn't read your post carefully enough!
I still sat thru the jury selection process though it left me quite sick.
Today i doubt i would be able to attend at all.

Without going into detail about this trial, I had a similar reaction to what the judge said about the trial before the jury selection process began.

On hearing what the trial was going to be about I started to feel nausea.
I wanted to walk away and let someone else deal with this.

Still, I pushed myself to do my duty and get over my revulsion because I believe every defendant deserves good people like me on his/her trial regardless of the seriousness of the charge.
Someone's gotta do this dirty work.

But hey, people vary.

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
Kudos for doing your duty. It is not easy .

Unfortunately being so sick with a devastating diagnosis means i can not even do day to day basics, let alone extras .

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Polabowla, I'm very sorry you're not well right now.
Hope you recover soon.

Last edited:

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve been called twice. Not selected the first time, covid cancelled the second.

I’m obligated to serve if called, but don’t in any way wish to be a factor in deciding if someone potentially goes to jail. People commit crimes for various reasons, various things in their life that led them to whatever choice, things I will never understand in a few days.

I can feel sympathy for the victims and want them to have some semblance of accountability, but my mind would be very heavy from having an impact on the outcome. Our prison system is horrific and I would not want, for my own soul, to put someone there. Nor would I want a murderer to walk free. Suffice to say it’s complicated and I’m not “into it” on the level of some who view it as fascinating or an experience to have.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve been called twice. Not selected the first time, covid cancelled the second.

I’m obligated to serve if called, but don’t in any way wish to be a factor in deciding if someone potentially goes to jail. People commit crimes for various reasons, various things in their life that led them to whatever choice, things I will never understand in a few days.

I can feel sympathy for the victims and want them to have some semblance of accountability, but my mind would be very heavy from having an impact on the outcome. Our prison system is horrific and I would not want, for my own soul, to put someone there. Nor would I want a murderer to walk free. Suffice to say it’s complicated and I’m not “into it” on the level of some who view it as fascinating or an experience to have.

Wow.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve been called twice, both times I had moved out of the court district and didn’t have to serve. That was a long time ago when I still had a car registered in my name.

Haven’t been called since.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can understand your reluctance @OreoRosies86, serving as a juror is a heavy responsibility.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can understand your reluctance @OreoRosies86, serving as a juror is a heavy responsibility.

Thank you! It absolutely is. I don’t want to send someone to jail because they’re an addict any more than I want to see horrific crime scene photos. I don’t want the mental burden of even a .00001% chance we jurors got it wrong and send an innocent person to prison. It’s stressful even just thinking about it!

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I totally understand @OreoRosies86.

During the first trial I had to look at huge graphic injury photos, Ugh. The trial seemed like theater. Which attorney could out perform the other. But, (and I’m not trying to lecture you here) we are lucky to live in a country that has the judicial system we have. It’s certainly not perfect but then nothing is. We all need to participate as best we can for the betterment of all of us as citizens.

I think you would make an excellent juror because you seem very thoughtful and open minded. Do juries get it wrong? Sometimes. Humans aren’t perfect. Sometimes juries can send really strong messages and change society for the better. You aren’t wrong to feel the way you do. You are a sensitive caring person. Any jury would be better with you on it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results