shape
carat
color
clarity

Ikea highchair???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Mandarine

Ideal_Rock
Hi ladies :)

I''m starting to think about highchairs and keep going back to the Ikea highchairs!!!. I love how simple, no-frills and easy to clean they look. SInce we have twins, I don''t want two big ol'' highchairs in my kitchen nook!. I thought about the space savers (the ones that hook up to your chairs), but we have 4 chairs in our kitchen table and would like to leave those for when people come to dinner (like MIL on Sundays!).

So I was wondering if anyone had the Ikea highchairs or had any thoughts on them. There are two kinds, one that has the option of buying a tray and one that doesn''t (so you just use your table).

Ikea''s antilop (with tray option)

Ikea Spoling

If you don''t recommend these, do you have any other recommendations?. What I''m looking for:

- Simple design
- Easy to clean (a must)
- Small (since I''ll have two)
- Not super expensive

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
I really like that first one, but since you mention needing to conserve space, what about those ones that clamp onto your kitchen table?

Mandarine

Ideal_Rock
well, the first ones are stackable! the second one folds.

I thought about teh ones that clip on to the table...but I''m afraid of damaging our table
5.gif
(it gets scratches if you write on a piece of paper on top of it!...it''s a pedestal table from Pottery barn, but I think the wood is pretty "soft")

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
I love them!

When I nannied for twins, detailing those damn highchairs everyday was the bane of my existence
2.gif
They had the Peg Perego prima pappa with tons of padding and crevices. UGH!

I think the first one will be easiest to clean, but the second is really pretty.

I also really like the stokke trip trap--my friends have it and it is really easy to clean, doesn''t take up much space, and grows into a chair when they are done with it.

Mandarine

Ideal_Rock
yeah...my number one thing is that they need to be easy to clean!
I like the stokkes, but not ready to spend that x2!

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
I hear you, the stokke is a lot and times two that is astronomical:-0

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Hmmm, a tray is a must if your table is as soft as you think. Kids bang their cutlery, throw their food, etc. when you''re not looking (some do it while you look, but mine knew better
27.gif
). Pushing a chair up to your table doesn''t sound like a viable option.

I like the first one as it''s easy to clean
2.gif

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
We have the antilop chairs w/ the trays and they are great. No complaints at all. No frills, but my kiddos don't seem to mind at all. They look simple and modern and best of all they are CHEAP! The footprint is actually pretty small too. Smaller than a lot of other chairs my friends have.

We had all the same criteria as you (of course including the X2!) and decided that these met our needs wonderfully. I don't regret the purchase.

We do pull them up to the table now, but we aren't worried about damaging the table either. But we also like the trays and used them for a long time.

Mrs Mitchell

Ideal_Rock
Best thing I ever bought for Amelia. I have the one with the tray. A lot of restaurants here use them - they are cheap, easy to clean, stackable and don''t take up much space. Plus, they aren''t half as ugly and bulky looking as some of the premium ones. My heart sinks now when we go out to eat and I see a different sort. The Ikea ones are the only one she doesn''t slide around or slip down in, too.

The tray is good, even if you decide not to use it, it''s only a few $, so might as well get one to try. We use it though, because the high chair isn''t able to sit flush against the table (due to the design of the table).

The legs detatch and re-attach easily, so if you want to store it in pieces, it wouldn''t be too much of a pain, although I never bother to take it apart unless we''re visiting someone over a mealtime, then I throw it in the car.

Also, they sell inflatable plastic liner cushions, to support smaller kids. Amelia used hers way before she was old enough to eat, because she liked to sit at the table with us at mealtimes.

Best highchair ever and I don''t receive a commission from Ikea, honest!
9.gif

Mandarine

Ideal_Rock
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
Awesome!!! I was hoping for some good reviews!

Everything I have read about them is positive. I'm leaning towards the one with the tray since I do think I'll use it and will probably regret if it doesn't have one.

I saw the little cushion and will deifnitely be getting that too. My guys will be 5 months soon and they probably won't sit there for another good month, so by that point they should be able to sit a lot better
1.gif

I found a pattern online to do your own cover. My friend sews and I was thinking this may not be a bad idea...to add a little padding. Then you can just throw the cover in the washer and maybe have two sets for each baby?. Here is the link: Antilop cover

Would you guys think it is worth it?

ETA: Found an Etsy seller, but they are expensive...I can have my friend help me for just the cost of fabric. CUte designs though, check it out: Etsy's covers

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I hate the clip on ones! The fabric gets SOOO gross. My friend with twins had the chicco ones
14.gif
For highchairs she used those wooden ones that convert to a stool too. Can''t remember the name. I think the Ikea ones look nice!

Mrs Mitchell

Ideal_Rock
The covers are cute, but I probably wouldn''t bother. I have enough laundry to do as it is! Depends on how houseproud you are really, my house looks like a yard sale at the best of times, but if you''re neat and stylish, covers that co-ordinate with your kitchen or dining room could be very chic. Just be prepared to wash them after every meal! Unless your little guys are very clean eaters, you might need a few extra sets!

The inflatable cushions are great, though. Wipe clean, they''re vinyl.

The tray comes off and there''s just a little slot in the plastic at the side for fixing it, so if you decided not to use them, the highchair would still look fine.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
i remember nf''s comment from months ago about how much she loved her ikea high chairs. i think we''re going that route for J when he gets there, can''t beat the price and easy to clean!! plus i like the retro look/no frills idea, better with our decor than some fluffy quilted thing.
5.gif

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
We had the ikea antilop chair for James. The only two issues I had with it were the strap for restraining the child wasnt that secure (no shoulder harness) and the fact that there isn''t a ledge for their feet. When James got bigger he didn''t like his legs just dangling. The good points are there aren''t any little nooks and crannies for the food to get stuck in and they are really inexpensive.

Jas12

Ideal_Rock
I am going to get an ikea high chair too Mandarine. I tried one out when i was there last and it looks good. We currently have a regular bulky graco chair (it was a gift) and while not bad, it''s ugly and still hard to clean. Easy cleaning is a must!!

Mandarine

Ideal_Rock
just an update!

here they are!

they seem to love them!!!!!!

a02434b.jpg

Jas12

Ideal_Rock
ahhh, soo cute Mandarine! I like the little cushions in there too!
So they are working out well?

Mandarine

Ideal_Rock
well, I''m not giving them solids yet so just had them try it out! They loved sitting there. I''m guessing it gave them a different view point of the house and they loved it!!!

The chairs are PERFECT. I''m so happy I went that route!

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
Mandy, Your boys are so cute, I can''t stand it
9.gif

Blenheim

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/1/2010 10:57:44 AM
Author: Jas12
I am going to get an ikea high chair too Mandarine. I tried one out when i was there last and it looks good. We currently have a regular bulky graco chair (it was a gift) and while not bad, it''s ugly and still hard to clean. Easy cleaning is a must!!
How funny. We also have a regular bulky graco chair (hand me down) that I don''t like because of the big footprint and hard to clean design, and I''ve been quite tempted to get one of the Ikea chairs.

Mandarine - glad to hear they seem good so far!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oooh your babies are adorable!!! They look really happy in their new highchairs!

Mandarine

Ideal_Rock
Thanks guys!
9.gif

They seem happy so I''m happy!
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results