shape
carat
color
clarity

if you invited me over to your house for dinner...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
would it be rude of me if i ask... "what''s on the menu" ?

cindygenit

Brilliant_Rock
No, i love cooking good food, and I love people being interested in the food I am serving for dinner.

Why would it be rude? I invited you to EAT at my house after all. You should know what you''re going to be having for dinner.
1.gif

DF is back with his random question for the day YAY

Kay

Ideal_Rock
It''s not rude if you are asking so you know what kind of wine to bring to complement the food.
2.gif

sparklyheart

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t think it''s rude.. but if I invite someone over for dinner I make sure to tell them what I''m making when inviting them.. No need to surprise people like that! If I''m inviting someone over I want to make something they will enjoy. .If they say "uhhh do you have to?" or something negative then I have time to change it.. Whereas if they walk in and smell ___dish and then say they don''t like the main ingredient I''m stuck with unhappy dinner guests and a lot of leftovers.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I always share automatically and I even check to make sure my guests are ok with it. I have some friends who don''t like seafood, and one who hates black beans. So I always double check, and then if they want to bring something they can but I never require it either.

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
No I don''t thinks it''s rude I never ask myself though.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
When I invite guests for dinner I tell them what''s on the menu. So, no, I don''t think it''s rude to ask, I think it''s unusual not to tell you to begin with.

I would hate to go to all the trouble of making a lovely meal just to have my guests be allergic to nuts or something.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
When I have dinner guests, I usually give then three or four choices of fare.

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
No, I would always say "do you like (whatever I''m making)", and I usually have a few dishes rather than one big one.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn''t find it rude if someone asked what I was serving. Since I usually have it all figured out before inviting them and almost always let them know to begin with.

If I''m making dinner for someone for the first time, I will invite them and ask about any allergies. People often tell me what the really don''t like at the same time (even though I don''t ask). Then I plan the menu and let them know later.
I do sometimes surprise people with the menu but I do a variety of dishes so there is something for everyone.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It would only be rude if you asked what I was serving in trying to decide if you wanted to come.

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/7/2009 12:05:19 PM
Author: luv2sparkle
It would only be rude if you asked what I was serving in trying to decide if you wanted to come.

Ha! +1

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
No, especially if you have any particular aversions or allergies...

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have food allergies, so usually everyone I know asks before if I can have this/that. Food allergies are so common these days, so whether it''s just DH and me or if we''re bringing the kids along, the hosts will ask ahead of time if there are any food restrictions.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/7/2009 12:31:13 PM
Author: Novel

Ha! +1
+2...

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
I would say it''s rude.

First it makes is seem like the food is more important that than the company. It''s comparable to asking who else is invited. It just shouldn''t matter. If you are bringing wine it shouldn''t be assumed that the gift would be opened and drank with this meal. But if you you offer to bring wine for dinner then asking if the host prefers red or white would give them the chance to offer up the menu.

Second the host should not have to commit to anything other than feeding you a meal if that''s what your invitation is for. They should be able to change the menu and not feel obligated to anyone.

Of course, if you have a food allergy it would be up to you to mention it to the host so that he/she isn''t put into an awkward situation.

purselover

Ideal_Rock
Not at all, I''d hate to make something you were allergic to or really didn''t like.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It depends how you ask it.

Camille

Shiny_Rock
Not at all, we love having good company over. Totally ok to ask for the menu [always offer several options] and often done among friends.

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
I always tell people what I''m thinking about serving and make sure there are no food allergies/food aversions/vegetarians/etc. When I''m going to someone''s house for dinner I don''t ask, but I eat anything.

isaku5

Ideal_Rock

Ha! +1
+2 . I always ask whether there are food allergies and let guests know when I''m planning something a little different like lamb or certain fish dishes. That info is given after the commitment, though.
9.gif

Luckyeshe

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/7/2009 12:44:06 PM
Author: D&T

Ha! +1
+2...
Hehehehe +3
9.gif

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
Nope, that would be my first question.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
That would be one really HUGE "If".

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
I always ask because of all things I''m allergic to garlic, it is an asthma trigger for me.
One good days I can handle eating small amounts on a bad day even the smell if strong enough can send me to the hospital.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
wow storm, that sucks!!! your continued attempts prove it''s darn good!

I have a friend who had to transition all wheat out of her diet... it''s in everything!

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
only if you asked before you accepted!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/7/2009 6:36:44 PM
Author: JulieN
only if you asked before you accepted!
+1.

DF, I can''t cook great chinese food, so won''t be asking you for dinner any time soon. LOL!!!

But you can come over and have some of that Remy Martin I have promised you for years now!!!
31.gif

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t ask what friends are serving, but I do ask what we can bring. Usually they''ll tell us what they''re making at that point and then we''ll make sure to bring something that goes with the meal. I don''t hesitate to ask my parents what they''re serving though. I don''t consider it rude to ask family.
9.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
it would be very rude in Chinese culture.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results