shape
carat
color
clarity

If you have grade school age kids ...

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
would you allow your kids to take the Covid 19 vaccination?

If our daughters were to ask us about vaccinating their kids we would say NO!.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I value educated, research based, scientific opinion far above laypeople's personal opinions. So, though I'd research it myself, I'd usually go with the CDC or equivalent guidelines in the end, unless I had solid reason not to.

I don't have any minor children now so I haven't looked into it much but at this time, my understanding is that Covid-19 vaccine is not recommended or even allowed for children.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I value educated, research based, scientific opinion far above laypeople's personal opinions. So, though I'd research it myself, I'd usually go with the CDC or equivalent guidelines in the end, unless I had solid reason not to.

I don't have any minor children now so I haven't looked into it much but at this time, my understanding is that Covid-19 vaccine is not recommended or even allowed for children.

+1.

I trust science.
Science is the best we can do.

and ...

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
If approved, absolutely! I can't wait until the trials are done so my kid can get it. We want to travel again Internationally.

@seaurchin Moderna is currently conducting trials on kids and Pfizer is starting soon. Nothing's been approved that's why it's not recommended yet.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Of course I would, if the scientific data says it is safe. Why would I want my children to catch a preventable virus?

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
Of course. Several of my physician colleagues in my extended network have children enrolled in vaccine trials right now. My husband and I have been vaccinated. Of the four grandparents two are currently battling cancer and a third has a severe chronic illness leaving them medically fragile. Ensuring that the little ones are vaccinated helps us protect them and still have a chance to spend time together.

Fortunately children tend to have less severe disease and a lower rate of dearth from COVID- but with infectious disease we really have to look at the larger impact of illness as opposed to a narrow view. Sick kiddos miss a lot of school; schools or daycares may be closed due to exposure; sick kids may pass COVID to teachers or other students who have medically fragile folks at home. Most spread I have seen at this time (persistent hotspot) remains family gatherings. There are people who cannot be vaccinated for medical reasons and they rely on the rest of society to do our part to protect them. Hospital workers have had a nightmare for the past year and every vaccine is a step toward getting things back to a manageable level.

I do think that perhaps people who refuse vaccines do t have the context of seeing first hand how awful these illnesses can be, or have not taken care of someone dying from a vaccine preventable disease. I have and it was really devastating- it seems even more so for a young child who had the choice made for them. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wa...come-down-with-whooping-cough/?outputType=amp

Anyways, I feel a little silly posting something so long on a jewelry enthusiast forum, and I know that reading internet threads rarely changes anyone’s mind about anything- but it’s been a horrible year with a lot of loss and I feel like there’s finally a little glimmer of hope for things. I’m currently working in global health as well as taking care of patients here and our partners in central/South America are starting to get vaccine shipments and I am so great full; they have been hard hit esp when you consider the overlaid effects of the hurricane season!

Last edited:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We are undecided. Even though the technology may not be new, to have such a short trial ahead of distributing a vaccine makes me extremely nervous. However a return to school in-person may demand it for the fall, at least for our oldest who is starting high school. At this point it’s really important to get the kids back in school full time in the fall for their mental health. Youngest has already returned and oldest opted to remain remote for the rest of this year.

We will talk more at length about it when the vaccines are approved and make a decision then.

Anyone who has been around PS a while knows that I have posted about our older son being apparently extremely sensitive to vaccines. He has already had and recovered from COVID but I am scared about him taking this vaccine.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am pretty sure I would if my kids were missing in-person schooling. A concern my friends and colleagues have is what could be the possible unforeseen consequences of child-bearing aged women getting it? Are we all that comfortable with the lack of trials and accountability? Some local to me think not and are saying their daughters will not take it :think:

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My kids were vaccinated for everything. They're older now, but both have been vaccinated since Jan. If they were younger and the vax was approved for their age group they would have gotten it for sure. They're adults now and one is a med student and they have had both injections.

I think that anyone who is against vaccination should take some time to read about infant/child mortality rates in the pre vaccination eras. Better yet, speak to someone who contracted polio as a child. They're old, but a few are still out there.

The new strains of covid are now affecting younger people. It's crazy not to vaccinate.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
My 17 year old daughter has already had dose 1. And so have my young adult children. I encouraged my older kids to get it. If my kids were younger, the second if was available to them I would have gotten it for them as well. I have also had dose 1.

edited to add: I am thankful that my older kids could get whatever was available and that my 17 year old was able to get the Pfizer vaccine which is approved for 16 and up.

I would be really scared if my kids were younger and there were no vaccines. I feel bad for parents who want to vaccinate but the vaccines are not approved yet.

I did see this morning on the news that the Pfizer vaccine trials show that for kids 12 to 15 it is 100% effective and they are going to submit for FDA approval soon.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
would you allow your kids to take the Covid 19 vaccination?

If our daughters were to ask us about vaccinating their kids we would say NO!.

Did you or would you take the vaccine?

I’m just curious if the answer is yes, then why not kids if the clinical trials are done and medical experts advise kids to be vaccinated.

Also recall that your daughter is in the medical industry? What does she say?

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
I am pretty sure I would if my kids were missing in-person schooling. A concern my friends and colleagues have is what could be the possible unforeseen consequences of child-bearing aged women getting it? Are we all that comfortable with the lack of trials and accountability? Some local to me think not and are saying their daughters will not take it :think:
Do you mean with the mRNA vaccines? I will be honest, with the way that the vaccine works the researchers are not thinking that it would have any impact based on the mechanism or what is in the vaccine. Many women actually became pregnant while enrolled in the trials, or afterward. There was false information spread that there is a spike protein in the vaccine that would impact the human placenta, but this is not accurate.

Anecdotally, many of my friends have been vaccinated during pregnancy or in the post partum period while breastfeeding with no issues, and one has happily become pregnant after years of trying.

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kids seem to have fewer symptoms with COVID and are unlikely to be extremely unwell with it but what about so-called “long COVID”? I’d be pretty worried about that. I’m hearing a LOT about it in the adult population and I’m sure it will be a significant cause of chronic health issues for many. So yes, as soon as my teen can get it, he will (given his consent, of course, as he’s 16).

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Kids seem to have fewer symptoms with COVID and are unlikely to be extremely unwell with it but what about so-called “long COVID”? I’d be pretty worried about that. I’m hearing a LOT about it in the adult population and I’m sure it will be a significant cause of chronic health issues for many. So yes, as soon as my teen can get it, he will (given his consent, of course, as he’s 16).

I'm also concerned about MIS-C in kids. Multisystem Inflammatory Syndrome. We know a child who had very mild covid symptoms but came down with MIS-C a short while later. He nearly died. My husband's niece (7) and nephew (5) both had severe pneumonia from Covid, and were sick for almost 2 months. Their mom (a Nurse Practitioner) was concerned about MIS-C for months after they recovered, because you never know who might develop it. If there's a genetic component as to how sick one gets from Covid, and my kid's cousins got that sick... I'm not taking a chance with mine. He'll get his vaccine as soon as it's approved and available.

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm also concerned about MIS-C in kids. Multisystem Inflammatory Syndrome. We know a child who had very mild covid symptoms but came down with MIS-C a short while later. He nearly died. My husband's niece (7) and nephew (5) both had severe pneumonia from Covid, and were sick for almost 2 months. Their mom (a Nurse Practitioner) was concerned about MIS-C for months after they recovered, because you never know who might develop it. If there's a genetic component as to how sick one gets from Covid, and my kid's cousins got that sick... I'm not taking a chance with mine. He'll get his vaccine as soon as it's approved and available.

That sounds awful all round, very worrying. Hoping everyone has recovered now.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did you or would you take the vaccine?

I’m just curious if the answer is yes, then why not kids if the clinical trials are done and medical experts advise kids to be vaccinated.

Also recall that your daughter is in the medical industry? What does she say?

Wife and I haven't taken the vaccine yet. My DD#2 is a RN and AFAIK her and some of her coworkers haven't taken the vaccine yet, in fact she was taking care of Covid patients 2 month ago.

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wife and I haven't taken the vaccine yet. My DD#2 is a RN and AFAIK her and some of her coworkers haven't taken the vaccine yet, in fact she was taking care of Covid patients 2 month ago.

I'm a nurse, my husband is a dr and my son is in med school. He was not given a choice, he had to get the shots if he wanted to complete his rotations. It's crazy not to get the vax, DF. If your daughter is a nurse, she must have to get her flu shot every year. This is no different. I know a ton of health care professionals and they've all had the vaccine. You're about my age and you should seriously consider getting it done. You're taking chances with your health.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm a nurse, my husband is a dr and my son is in med school. He was not given a choice, he had to get the shots if he wanted to complete his rotations. It's crazy not to get the vax, DF. If your daughter is a nurse, she must have to get her flu shot every year. This is no different. I know a ton of health care professionals and they've all had the vaccine. You're about my age and you should seriously consider getting it done. You're taking chances with your health.

I wouldn’t be super psyched about being treated by a medical professional who opted not to be vaccinated. That seems pretty irresponsible and reckless. Whatever your political beliefs please don’t gamble with MY health over it.

So funny. I was just talking about this with my mother, who said “I don’t even recall the polio vaccine being a conversation. They gave it out at school and our parents said ‘Oh good, because we’d like it if our children didn’t get polio.’”

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn’t be super psyched about being treated by a medical professional who opted not to be vaccinated. That seems pretty irresponsible and reckless. Whatever your political beliefs please don’t gamble with MY health when you’ve taken an oath to protect it!

Yep. We all got vaxxed in Dec/Jan, including my daughter who works in insurance. I just don't understand not getting it done.

Elizabeth35

Brilliant_Rock
It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Currently in the US, to enroll in public schools (don't know about private), you have to provide proof of immunization for DPT, mumps, polio, etc.
I know seasonal flu shots are recommended for children but I don't think schools require it?

I can see this becoming a hot button issue. I would NOT be happy about my kids attending schools with students or teachers who are not vaccinated since they could bring in new variants. And I am not certain what the future holds regarding annual COVID vaccinations.
I would certainly not knowingly use a medical practitioner who was not vaccinated. But unfortunately as a consumer you don't know if your medical practitioner is vaccinated.

It raises interesting questions.

Elizabeth35

Brilliant_Rock
I wouldn’t be super psyched about being treated by a medical professional who opted not to be vaccinated. That seems pretty irresponsible and reckless. Whatever your political beliefs please don’t gamble with MY health over it.

So funny. I was just talking about this with my mother, who said “I don’t even recall the polio vaccine being a conversation. They gave it out at school and our parents said ‘Oh good, because we’d like it if our children didn’t get polio.’”

This is such a good point.
What would the world be like now if the same % of people refusing Covid vaccine had refused polio, diphtheria, pertussis, tetanus, MMR, HPV, etc?
And I understand that some children cannot get certain vaccines due to health conditions.

But seriously---scientists have spent generations getting the world to the point where most childhood diseases can be controlled.
Why in God's name would you NOT get your child vaccinated to prevent getting Covid and preventing the spread of a disease that has basically shut down the world?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm a nurse, my husband is a dr and my son is in med school. He was not given a choice, he had to get the shots if he wanted to complete his rotations. It's crazy not to get the vax, DF. If your daughter is a nurse, she must have to get her flu shot every year.
I know she did last fall. She's an adult so she makes her own decision.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am pretty sure I would if my kids were missing in-person schooling. A concern my friends and colleagues have is what could be the possible unforeseen consequences of child-bearing aged women getting it?
That's a great Q.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t think it’s unreasonable for parents or anyone for that matter to question a brand new vaccine. Especially because the vaccine manufacturers have zero liability. ZERO liability for an injectable product. Does that not seem wrong to anyone?

Yet we label those people instead of trying to get to the root problem which is a company that has zero liability for their product. That is absolutely criminal and yes I have said this before and I will say it in every single vaccine thread. We need to change the system, they are safe apart from a rare adverse event right? Okay then, let’s repeal the law and make it a level playing field.

ETA: I forgot to acknowledge that there is vaccine court for adverse events. Taxpayer funded.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Here is some CDC info. about Covid-19 illness outcomes and Covid-19 vaccination re pregnancy.

Obviously, it's a relatively new illness with newly approved vaccines. But we are also past the stage where we'd need to ask our questions into thin air:

Last edited:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results