carat
color
clarity

If you had to pick the certificate or the images - which one

mizzles

Rough_Rock
Premium
Hello

What I'm trying to ask is which is more important in your opinion? If you had to view either the pics (idealscope, aset, or other) or the GIA certificate to rule in or rule out a stone, which is preferred?

I realize both are important and complimentary to each other, but I guess I'm trying to understand which I should look at first, given the option.

Thanks

Miz

RockBrat

Shiny_Rock
Re: If you had to pick the certificate or the images - which

Always start with certificates in my opinion.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

I would start with the idealscope images. Then check the depth and crown height on the stones.

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

I would say it depends upon the purpose of your purchase. If you are, primarily, wanting a diamond that meets criteria for light performance - with color, clarity, and carat weight being unimportant, I guess you could look only at the ASET or IS image.

Most people start with certain parameters in mind: Near colorless, eye-clean, over a carat, approx. X dollars. Without the lab report you won't be able to hit those criteria. I would think it is an unlikely scenario that you would only have access to one or the other.

The common process would be to determine the criteria that fits your 'acceptable' diamond choice, then modify that criteria as needed to get the best possible light performance.

Often times somebody who starts with a range of:
F
VVS1
XXX
1.0 - 1.1 ct

after doing research and asking questions happily ends up with an

I
VS1
Top-tier/branded Cut
1.1 - 1.2 ct.

for a similar type budget.

Anyway - without more information surrounding the hypothetical question, and about the diamond itself, I don't know there is a sufficient answer.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I would go with images if I had to pick one or the other.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

There is no reason to have to start with one or the other. Any stone that has ASET images is also going to have a grading report, hopefully. Look at both. I narrow down what I will look at to the specs below.

These are measurements to help you stay in ideal cut territory with a GIA excellent cut stone.

table: 54-58

depth: 60-62.3

crown angle: 34-35.0 (up to 35.5 crown angle can sometimes work with a 40.6 pav angle)

pavilion angle: 40.6-40.9 (sometimes 41.0 if the crown angle is close to 34)

It would be crazy not to narrow down the field first. I mean, why waste time looking at images of stones that are awful? That makes no sense. So technically you narrow down by numbers on reports and then look at the ASET and idealscope images as well as the magnified image of the stone itself.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

tyty333|1463400679|4032233 said:
I would go with images if I had to pick one or the other.

I'm referring to fancy cuts. If it's a round I'll take the numbers/cert.

piano

Rough_Rock

Assume that starting from scratch, always get the certificate first then request IS/ASET images later.
Think about this, if you want to meet "piano" in person, what would you do first? Get his image and have no clue where he is or get his basic info such address? state? city? home address even greater; soon as you get to see him, you then can decide how tall or how fat he is.
:)

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

mizzles|1463020628|4030558 said:
Hello

What I'm trying to ask is which is more important in your opinion? If you had to view either the pics (idealscope, aset, or other) or the GIA certificate to rule in or rule out a stone, which is preferred?

I realize both are important and complimentary to each other, but I guess I'm trying to understand which I should look at first, given the option.

Thanks

Miz

BOTH!

Two diamonds that look identical to the lay person could differ in value by double because of color and clarity grades.
That's why the accuracy and believability of the lab grading is key.
Some labs lie, to a degree I consider to be fraudulent, slimy vendors know this and customers are being ripped off every day.
That's why a grading report ONLY from a reputable lab like GIA or AGS is the essential starting point.

Caveat: Unfortunately, GIA's top cut grade of Excellent is very loosie goosie :nono:
Some poor performers, steep deeps, get in so ignore that grade.
AGS's cut grading is better ... but still ... I'm going to use the three cut tools, HCA, Idealscope and ASET.

Next, if it's a round, the HCA score being under 2.0 weeds out most, not all, poor performers ... but since the HCA isn't perfect so it should not be the final selection too.
https://www.pricescope.com/tools/hca
An Idealscope image is essential for a round and ASET for any other shape.
Since it is an actual photo it will reveal things that the HCA couldn't.
(Unfortunately the HCA can only do its math based on averages from the lab report, not the actual 8 crown and pavilion angles that the labs average together.)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results