shape
carat
color
clarity

If you had to choose between the following two scenarios:

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

JulietRomeoTango

Rough_Rock
I know that even asking this question makes either scenario seem less romantic BUT I am really torn, so I am soliciting advice.

I have the option of (1) spending a lot of money on a very elaborate proposal or (2) saving that money and putting it towards the purchase of a nicer ring.

Option 1: she is taking a vacation with her mother in 2 months to Europe and thinks I am not going to be able to make it because of work. I could fly there (coordinating with her mother of course) at the end of their trip and extend it with a proposal in a place I know she loves and finds romantic in southern Germany.

Option 2: devise a romantic proposal here in the states and spend the extra money (probably on the order of a few thousand) to put into a nicer ring that she would have and could enjoy every day of her life.

A few things to simplify the decision:
1) I know she is going to say yes, because she is an uber-planner (e.g., she has tentative names for our children) and we have been together for over 2 years and are very much in love. She claims that if I don''t propose by the end of next year, she might have to . . . etc.

2) She says she cares more about other things than rings, but I notice how much attention she pays to other friends'' rings and I kind of think I know her better (than she does herself) on this issue.

A few things to complicate the decision:
1) Coordinating a proposal in Europe is tough. I have looked into it tentatively and it is going to require a lot of confiding in people to keep quiet, help, etc. It is also going to be tricky with both of our jobs to have the adequate amount of time to do things properly. Option 1 is thus riskier, but this fragility might add to the romance.
2) There are plenty of romantic places between us here in the midwestern U.S. and Southern Germany. There will be other opportunities to surprise her, but none quite as elaborate.
3) While she loves surprises (option 1), she also loves simplicity and practicality (option 2).
4) If I do choose (option 1) I do not want it to be this big story we have to tell people. In other words, I don''t want it to become *about* how romantic the proposal was, I just want it to be romantic and quiet - if that makes sense.

Okay, hoping to hear any advice from all of you practical romantics . . .
26.gif

Nomsdeplume

Brilliant_Rock
I think you answered your own question.
1.gif
The ring!
You can plan something romantic at home.

Big daddy 48

Rough_Rock
I personally would invest my money"if I were you" into the ring. The ring is an investment that lasts forever. The trip is kind of a waste when you could apply that money into the ring and get a better stone. It''s only an opinion!

treefrog

Brilliant_Rock
If you were made of money, option 1 (the Germany proposal) would be a great idea. If there were any complications with communications, logistics or anything, you could potentially be in for a very expensive solo trip to Germany.

If it''s as simple as smaller/lower quality diamond = Germany proposal or larger/better quality diamond = alternate proposal, my vote is for option 2.

You sound like a creative and thoughtful guy and I suspect you can figure out a wonderful proposal that is a bit more local for you.

Treefrog

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
I am going to go with the ring.
The germany proposal sounds lovely but the ring will last forever.
I think if you plan something out of this world where you live you will save a ton of money, AND no jet lag, AND put it towards a ring.

thats my 2 cents

JulietRomeoTango

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for the advice!

I suppose I should not be too surprised (given that I am asking on a Jewelry Forum) that most people would opt for the nicer ring option. It is nice to get affirmation on the direction in which I am leaning though. . . .
9.gif

susied

Rough_Rock
I''m a little late, but I would go with the ring too :)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/3/2009 1:56:24 PM
Author: susied
I''m a little late, but I would go with the ring too :)
Same here....not to mention, she''ll be in Europe with her MOTHER! You don''t need your mom staying with you in Europe when you get engaged!!!! Let them enjoy that trip and you plan a romantic welcome-home proposal for her when she comes back (or before she goes for that matter!)!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results