shape
carat
color
clarity

If you had to buy a fancy dress for a black tie dinner...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Allisonfaye

Brilliant_Rock
...where would you start? DH works for a large company that you have all heard of and they are having a black tie dinner. I have to look my best and make a good impression since this will probably be the first of more of these types of things and DH wants to advance in the company. These are people who make lots of $$ and can pretty much afford the best.

They said I can wear a cocktail dress, an evening gown or a dressie pantsuit. I don''t like to wear black, generally, because I have VERY fair skin and I think it washes me out. Any advice on where to start?

lisaC

Brilliant_Rock
How about jcrew.com? They have some lovely dresses in silk or wool. Beautiful colours and quite classic in styling.

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
I would wear a short black dress. Add some sparkle with your jewelry, so as not to wash you out.

How much time do you have? Start looking online. Neiman Marcus, Bloomingdales, Nordstroms, Bluefly

Add some dynamite shoes, a great small clutch bag.

I bought a short black cocktail dress at Ann Taylor Loft a few months back. It was very affordable. I keep things like that around, just in case.

gingerBcookie

Brilliant_Rock
i usually start my dress searches off at nordstrom.com, bluefly.com, neimanmarcus.com,, edressme.com, and saks.com. if those do''t work, i''ll go to bcbg. bebe as a second line. what fun! i love buying fancy dresses!

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
Big department stores are great places to start since they carry many designers and styles. For cocktail dresses, I do like BCBG because they fit great. I bought a few for weddings already. I love looking at, trying and buying fancy dresses, but our companies don''t have fancy affairs.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
It really depends on the budget. You can look as lovely and well put together as anyone who has a large budget if you look for good cut, nice lines and nice fabric. I also usually do black or something dark because I think it can stand the test of time more. I have spent a lot on things that I wear to death and I have spent a little on things that I do not really wear much, so it really is not just price that needs to be considered. A well cut beautiful black dress (a la Audrey Hepburn) will be something you can pull out of your closet anytime...the shoes, bag and jewelry might alternate, but you can always depend on it. Nearly every designer, at every price point, will have one great one a season. Of course, some times COLOR is more in, but unless I know I look great in the color (I like some shades but they do not look so good on me) I would not invest in something trendy or bold...just mho...gowns are apt to be quite expensive and I do not always like the look of pants, though you can find some nice dinner suits that are dressy enough...seems like black tie really runs the spectrum these days!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/13/2006 6:05:35 PM
Author:Allisonfaye
...where would you start? DH works for a large company that you have all heard of and they are having a black tie dinner. I have to look my best and make a good impression since this will probably be the first of more of these types of things and DH wants to advance in the company. These are people who make lots of $$ and can pretty much afford the best.

They said I can wear a cocktail dress, an evening gown or a dressie pantsuit. I don''t like to wear black, generally, because I have VERY fair skin and I think it washes me out. Any advice on where to start?
Is there any way you could find out what your DH''s higher-ups wives wore to the last black tie event? My logic is that they tell you to dress for the position you want to be in, not the one you ARE in, and to me that means both you and your DH need to follow that when you are at an event such as this.

I just checked out Nordstrom''s site...they always have a good selection of dresses, and some really pretty evening gowns. I understand you don''t want to wear black, so I''ll post a couple I thought might be appropriate...

_5132054.jpg

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t know your hair color or anything, but I thought this might be a fun color for fair skin...

_5139067.jpg

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This could be gorgeous with black satin shoes, a beaded wrap, and the perfect bag:

_5193182.jpg

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you love red, I think this dress is beautiful!

_5173598.jpg

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
NMB9434_mp.jpg

Dolce and Gabanna is often my choice--cut and fit and fabrics are always sublime--from Neiman''s

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
NMB8027_mp.jpg

Too sexy? I''d throw a jacket over top.....again at Neiman''s

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
NMB9735_mp.jpg

Dolce overload?? A good pashmina for shoulders.....

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
NM-0Q7F_mp.jpg

Donna Karan.....gosh I could go on...Neiman''s again.....

Starset

Shiny_Rock
Sharon that first D&G dress is superior. I wish I had perfect upper arms to wear that dress. It''s a knock-out!

Allisonfaye

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/14/2006 10:20:43 AM
Author: monarch64

Is there any way you could find out what your DH''s higher-ups wives wore to the last black tie event? My logic is that they tell you to dress for the position you want to be in, not the one you ARE in, and to me that means both you and your DH need to follow that when you are at an event such as this.

I just checked out Nordstrom''s site...they always have a good selection of dresses, and some really pretty evening gowns. I understand you don''t want to wear black, so I''ll post a couple I thought might be appropriate...
DH has the easy part. He will wear a tux. This is the first one that DH has been to so he wouldn''t know. DH is going to be (hopefully) on the senior management team someday, which means on the level with the CEO, CFO, etc. It can''t be too suggestive since this is a really conservative company. I am not very comfortable in lowcut or strapless stuff.

I love some of these dresses that you guys posted. Some are probably a little too sexy for this crowd. I will likely be one of the youngest, if not the youngest woman there. The age range is probably going to be late 40''s and up. I am 43.

I used to work on Michigan Avenue and while walking to work every day, I passed by Escada. I never even went in there but just drooled as I passed the window. I might check it out.

The event is in early August, so I think if I scope out the dresses now and wait, I could snag a good deal on something really nice.

Gotta go get the baby up. But I will comment on each of the dresses later. Thanks!

Allisonfaye

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/14/2006 10:20:43 AM

I love this!

Allisonfaye

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/14/2006 10:21:56 AM
I don''t know your hair color or anything, but I thought this might be a fun color for fair skin...
I think this style would work great and hide my figure flaws well. (I have an 8 month old baby and I still need to lose about 7 pounds).

Allisonfaye

Brilliant_Rock
Oops. Not sure how to repost the pics.

I tend to not like the ones that show my upper arms a lot. I haven''t got as much muscle tone up there as I would like so I don''t really want something that reveals that. I was even thinking a jacket over something would be good. I have worn wraps before and I find them kind of annoying to try to keep on while holding drinks, shaking hands, etc.

Did anyone see the gorgeous Peter Som dress that Sandra Oh wore in People last week? I wish I could wear that little number.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Men have it so easy. A tux is a tux, unless one wants to get very funky, most will stand the test of time. Put on your studs and a tie and you are done, even if you decide not to do a bow tie is seems much easier. We have to worry about what the other women will think of what we are wearing (too sexy around their men? Too frumpy/matronly and we look silly and feel out of the loop?) Also, we are so tough on ourselves in terms of our bodies, more things likely look good than we think look good, but we are our own worst critics...plus cost is an issue...one can spend thousands on something thesedays, designer stuff is so out to lunch price wise, so you want to make sure you live it and will use it again, versus that impulse I have to have this dress...I love either a print with some black so you can accessorize easily, or a neutral that flatters your tones and add metallics like sandals or bags to make it pretty...

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/14/2006 4:22:38 PM
Author: Allisonfaye
Oops. Not sure how to repost the pics.

I tend to not like the ones that show my upper arms a lot. I haven''t got as much muscle tone up there as I would like so I don''t really want something that reveals that. I was even thinking a jacket over something would be good. I have worn wraps before and I find them kind of annoying to try to keep on while holding drinks, shaking hands, etc.

Did anyone see the gorgeous Peter Som dress that Sandra Oh wore in People last week? I wish I could wear that little number.
Allisonfaye, so are you leaning towards couture? I haven''t heard of Peter Som..unfortunately I''ve been out of the loop a bit except for reading Vogue and Elle when I get a chance (I have a BS in Fashion Merchandising).
6.gif
Anywho, as a younger gal who also goes through preparing for this type of affair for my DH''s work, I kind of know where you''re coming from. To me, it''s been all about kind of helping HIM out, and presenting that image of confidence and great attitude, while being subtle about it. I''m 29, DH''s boss (and majority shareholder of his company, but DH is 2nd in line) has a wife who is fortunately very young at heart and dresses the part--I have no problem with wearing a little black dress but am always careful to be conservative at the same time. It''s a fine line to walk, but I have sort of observed what she wears, along with the VP''s wife, on occasions such as yours/mine, and have "followed" what they wear. (Trust me, I am by no means a "sheep" type of gal, either! It has been hard!)

You will find something to suit you...I would recommend shopping around online on the better department store''s websites to get an idea of what''s out there first, then go to a few of those stores in person. You can even call ahead and schedule a personal shopping day ( I know Neiman''s and Nordstroms'' offer this, as well as Von Maur--I am in Chicago, btw). As far as boutiques like Escada, I haven''t gotten to that point in my life yet where I would feel comfortable walking in, but you may feel perfectly comfortable doing so. I wish I had more of a feel for what you looked like, as I would love to help you out more with suggestions less generic than the ones I posted previously, but I don''t so I guess this is all I can offer you!

Take care, and best of luck to you! I''m sure you will find something absolutely divine!

Heather
1.gif
35.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aargghh! Get out of here Michelle with your fabulous blonde self! LOL! You are too, too gorgeous in that dress! I love it!
36.gif
21.gif
2.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/15/2006 12:52:39 AM
Author: SanDiegoLady

Date: 6/15/2006 12:47:23 AM
Aargghh! Get out of here Michelle with your fabulous blonde self! LOL! You are too, too gorgeous in that dress! I love it!
36.gif
21.gif
2.gif
Oh funny! LOL You''re sooo sweet!
9.gif
You guys always know how to make me feel so good about myself! Wow!
1.gif
If I had been able to find this in white, I''d have worn it for a wedding gown. It was just beautiful on. Thank you soo much!
No seriously, if I were a 40+ gal trying to choose a dress I would''ve been intimidated by you SDL! You really are a beautiful lady and I hope that I look half as good as you when I''m in my 40''s.

Allison, I''m sure you are gorgeous too, and I bet you can find a dress that is equally flattering! That first one I posted (goldish from Nordy''s) looked to me like a sexy, yet understated gown which you could put a jacket over with no problem...I would love to see what you come up with!
36.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Good luck with your dress search. You''ll look great no matter what you end up wearing--just make sure your outfit matches that wonderful new ruby ring and diamond bracelet!! LOL!
9.gif

cheers--Sharon

Allisonfaye

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry I haven''t responded today. I have been having computer problems all day. You guys are fabulous and these are some great ideas. I will have to come back tomorrow and check in since I have been trying to get my computer back up all day.

SDL, you look great! Thanks for posting your pic in your beautiful dress.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
what about Allen by Schwartz (ABS?) gowns or whatever his name is..he does all the knockoff Grammy gowns and stuff. They are typically affordable like $150-400 each and some of them are very ''wearable'' looking. Not sure where you go to try them on, I wanna say Nordies carries the line?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh i like this one too

http://www.jcrew.com/catalog/product.jhtml?id=prod72366571

it comes in various colors, i''d pair it with a super fine silk crocheted wrap or similar for some texture...maybe do the dark navy with a creme wrap or a black one. i like wearing all black personally for fancy functions, it''s just the ultimate classic color.

throw on some self-tanner a few days before and you''ll be golden (literally!)

good luck!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
NM-0Q42_mp.jpg

Here is another from NM.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
NM-0Q3W_mp.jpg

Similar look. NM.

Allisonfaye

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/16/2006 12:40:02 PM
Author: Mara
what about Allen by Schwartz (ABS?) gowns or whatever his name is..he does all the knockoff Grammy gowns and stuff. They are typically affordable like $150-400 each and some of them are very ''wearable'' looking. Not sure where you go to try them on, I wanna say Nordies carries the line?

I have looked at several websites and I did see them but I forget where, maybe Nordstrom. I haven''t had much time to look because I have some major virus on my computer and I can only get in occasionally. I like that ABS stuff. I almost bought a knockoff of that greenish yellow dress that Nicole Kidman wore to the Oscars one year but decided not to go to that event after all.

I did run by Neiman Marcus to return some stuff today and tried on a couple of things. But I am going to have as much fun playing dress up as I can before buying something. They are having tons of great sales coming up and the lady said they have some event where they bring in dresses from other stores on sale too sometime after July 4th. This is really a great time to buy something. Sizing might be an issue. I am running about a 4-6 on top and a 6-8 on bottom. Gotta run. Baby crying pathetically. Must help her.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results