shape
carat
color
clarity

if you had sons and daughters...how would you spread your wealth?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
in old fashion chinese tradition the son(s) inherits 99% of the parents $$$''s.the daughter(s) inherit next to nothing.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
divided evenly or given to charity.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
evenly.

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
50-50

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Evenly.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Evenly, of course.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
50-50

akmiss

Brilliant_Rock
I have three brothers but one passed away
15.gif
My parents simple did 33% for each of my living brothers and 34% for me. I had to laugh at getting the extra 1%.

How did you set yours up DF?

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Evenly.

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
50/50 except for the jewellery and I''m still pondering that one.
9.gif

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
Interesting!

Evenly

I wonder if for those cultures where the the inheritance goes to the males, dowry for females becomes more of a necessity.
In the traditional Malayali culture of Kerala, India, there was a matrilineal system, where the wealth was passed through the female line although, I think, the men still ruled the roost.

In my country we say that by living in a democracy everyone has the same chance to success, but if you inherit wealth then you definitely have a better chance, although it''s not guaranteed, and eventually because of the inheritance system a kind of aristocracy or upper class evolves.

Camille

Shiny_Rock
Yep, other countries still practice the same, sad to say. Dancing, wise/kind Dad's have the right to brake traditions anytime.......I'd let my kids know they have equal inheritance since they All came out of me.
My father used to say "50/50= willingness to take care of me" as a joke, he was sooooo right, we all wanted to take care of him and his battle w/cancer a few years back, not an easy task, his boys and girls pitched in/rotated chores, etc, we all got the $ame when we lost him. One admirable wise man!
2.gif
I bet you would like to be remembered the same, wouldn't you????

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/28/2009 4:00:28 PM
Author:Dancing Fire
in old fashion chinese tradition the son(s) inherits 99% of the parents $$$''s.the daughter(s) inherit next to nothing.
You have 2 daughters right? So will you split everything evenly with them?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/28/2009 5:11:19 PM
Author: akmiss
I have three brothers but one passed away
15.gif
My parents simple did 33% for each of my living brothers and 34% for me. I had to laugh at getting the extra 1%.

How did you set yours up DF?
my parents didn''t have any money. i have two daughters.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/28/2009 5:27:49 PM
Author: Kaleigh

You have 2 daughters right? So will you split everything evenly with them?
i told them don''t expect much from me cuz i had already spent a lot of money on them.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Equally among the 4 of them.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
DF

I have a Chinese (Canadian) friend who received shoe boxes full of family owned gold and jade jewellery when she got married that came from her parents and in-laws I think. Is this common? Does that off-set the inheritence issue to a degree?

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Evenly, with the exception of jewelry which will only go to daughters. If I get a ring to celebrate the birth of a son, then his daughter will get that ring, if he doesn''t have a girl, then his wife would get it. If he doesn''t have a wife (or partner of whatever) and doesn''t want it, that will also go to a daughter.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
I''m not a parent yet, but as a child (one of two daughters) I hope my parents spend every last penny on things they enjoy and living a nice life and they leave us with nothing.

JSM

Brilliant_Rock
I will do so evenly. Though I'm not sure we'll leave them much if things continue the way they are.

I see the "male inherits all" thing often. My FMIL is one of three, two daughters and a son. Even though the son had practically nothing to do with the family, did not take care of his elderly parents (that went to FMIL), and cared little about farming, he inherited ALL of the assets, including family farm land (thousands of acres).

He promptly sold it to a corporation for mega bucks and profited considerably, leaving the others empty handed and loosing land the family had owned since the 1800s. Still makes my fiance's blood boil, and he swore to never let his family down like that.

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
Evenly, of course.

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
in old fashion chinese tradition the son(s) inherits 99% of the parents $$$'s.the daughter(s) inherit next to nothing.

This is a wind-up, right?
3.gif
And I know you have daughters, so...
Personally, i think in this day and age it is very poor taste to give preferential treatment to sons.

You see a lot of that kind of behaviour still, in rural areas, where people do not want to break up the family farm, so the entire wealth of the family (the farming estate) goes to the oldest son, with no mention of paying or buying the other children out...

There are a myriad of other pitfalls as well...
eg my granny, who I adored, divided up her estate into four equal parts, one for each of her four children (fair enough)

However, my father, who had been married twice but was no longer living, had his portion equally divided between his first and second families...

The first wife, who had had a quite short, and unhappy, marriage to him, had since died. She had produced two children before abandoning the marriage.

My mother, who is still living, came along some time after their divorce. She was married to my dad for the rest of his life (until my father's death) and had produced three children.

Our father's portion of granny's estate was first split in half, with one full half divided between my older brother and sister. The other half of our portion was divided between the three children from the second marriage (including me) and my mum.

This meant that I received exactly half of the amount which my big brother and big sister got!
40.gif

I am very close emotionally to my big brother and sister, they spent a lot of time with us as a family, and don't think I was worth half of the value of my elder brother and sister - not to my granny, and not to my dad, either...

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Evenly.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/28/2009 8:04:54 PM
Author: Gailey
DF

I have a Chinese (Canadian) friend who received shoe boxes full of family owned gold and jade jewellery when she got married that came from her parents and in-laws I think. Is this common? Does that off-set the inheritence issue to a degree?
yes, very common old chinese tradition. the mother handing down family owned jewelry over to daughter when she gets marry. sadly, all my wife's jewelry from her mom were loss in a robbery 14 yrs ago.
7.gif

elle

Shiny_Rock
My grandfather willed it all to his sons, his daughters once they were "married out the house" received nothing except their mother''s jewelry. My grandmother used to buy alot of gold and jewelry for that reason. We''d always end up at a jewelry store every time we went out. I didn''t appreciate it then but now I see she was trying to set something aside for her daughters.

For my children regardless of sex, if they''re all grown up, it''ll be split evenly. There will be a difference in settlement if not all are independent yet, I''ll do it on a sliding scale to ensure that those who are still in school are provided for until they finish school and hope the older kids will understand.

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Being of sound mind, I would spend every penny on myself before I kick off. Let the crumb-snatchers work for their own money!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh, I forgot to comment about jewelry. My daughter(s) will get most of it but I will save some if I have a son for a future daughter he might have. I would not want a DIL to have any jewelry in case of divorce. I already offered my mom that I would make sure any future daughters of my brothers will get at least one piece of her jewelry if that is what she wanted to do.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Split evenly and that includes jewelry. I know my son would appreciate family heirlooms as much as my daughter. Heirlooms given to your children are protected in the case of a divorce as long as it can be proven who they belong to.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/29/2009 9:13:00 AM
Author: swingirl
Split evenly and that includes jewelry. I know my son would appreciate family heirlooms as much as my daughter. Heirlooms given to your children are protected in the case of a divorce as long as it can be proven who they belong to.
Ditto! My husband and I have a pendant that belonged to his gram (his sister got the huge Tiffany ruby!) and it means a lot to both of us. He was extremely close with his gram, too! I don''t think the sons should necessarily get nothing as far as jewelry goes. I would not have a problem with a DIL wearing my jewelry, as long as I knew it would be returned in the case of divorce.

Were we ever to get divorced (which I am certainly not planning!), I would definitely return the pendant to his family.

Money for the kids- I''d split it evenly. Though I hope to have given a good enough start in life that they won''t be counting on it, so we can live it up after we retire
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results