shape
carat
color
clarity

If you found a genie...; what would your three wishes be?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
So I was at a friends house and I made a comment about genies and how you would have to word your wishes carefully because genies are tricky little buggers who are out to mess with you. And well... aparently I was the only one there who had given this a second thought. And I thought it might make a fun thread.

So what would your three wishes be... and how would you word them?

Me?

1. For everyone who is related to me or my husband (including myself and my husband) by blood or marriage (whether they were alive now, or were born/married into later) to enjoy prefect health for the rest of thier lives (which would not be shortened in anway as a result of this wish, and may in fact be lengthed as a result of this wish) without the state of perfect health being dependant on medication, computers, operations, medical intervention of any kind, or the slightest suffering, pain, or harm of anyone or anything to make it happen. Oh and divorce would not affect the state of anyone's health.

And then I'd define perfect health. Just in case.

2. That the cure for all strains, types and forms of cancer and AIDS be found immediately by philanthopic researchers who then make it available, for always, to everyone who needs it, without cost or expense, and that the cure would be an inexpensive to make and deliver, highly effective cure that is ready available without the death, pain or suffering of any person or animal, or the extinction of any plant life.

3. I'd ask the genie to tell me what the 10 worst things they had done were (not as a wish by merely as a querry, no obligation to answer), and then if they were more mischief than maligant and if the genie had a truly good heart and would promise to only help people, animals, plants, the earth (et. al) going forward, I would set them free... because slavery is wrong and I wouldn't want to continue it. If the genie didn't want to tell me what was in its heart or if it had done harm things, then I'd wish for the genie to remain in the bottle until the good it had done balanced the bad, then it could go free... as long as it was bound to do no harm except and unless it needed to defend it's own life against someone seeking to kill or destroy it with malicious intent.

Am I the only lunatic who has given any thought to this?
37.gif

Come on... it's fun.
31.gif

Oh, and feel free to point out any loophole in my wishes so I can close them up. Tricky little buggers: Genies.
2.gif

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You have to be careful with wishes from a genie. Many things can be granted in unintended ways.

However, here is what I would wish for:

1) That none of my other wishes or future actions will have unintended consequences that I don''t know about and consider before I commit to the wish or action.

2) To live a productive life that helps people.

3) To die peacefully and without long term pain and suffering.

As to the loopholes in your wishes: 1) First, you and all of your relatives could be put into suspended animation till the end of the universe. You would live, and your health would remain as it is now.

2) A "cure" could be found that destroys cancers and your other health effects. However, the cure could turn out to be a worse long term health issue than what it solved.

Here''s a true story: For years we have wished to find a way to eliminate zebra mussels at the plant (an invasive species that has wrecked havoc with the Great Lakes, major rivers, etc - and cost industry millions each year in damage and control strategies. We''ll there are almost no zebra mussels left. Quagga mussels have eliminated them. The only problem is that Quagga''s are worse than zebra''s.....

3) Not all genies are slaves - and the ones that are not have their own value system. As such, you cannot predict the outcome of your 3rd wish. Oh, and another thing. The ones that really are slaves - can only be released if someone else takes their place (the bottle must have a keeper). Guess who the next genie is if you release them. You are. Have a happy life!

Perry

MissMina

Brilliant_Rock
I''d have to start with world peace under a benevolent government.

E B

Ideal_Rock
No wishing for unlimited wishes?
31.gif

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
1) health for family and friends
2) .....
3) ...............

Gypsy, this is really difficult! Everything I think of has the possibility of causing negative unintended consequences. I''d keep it simple; the resources and health to live a comfortable life, and that''s about it.

Mrs Mitchell

Ideal_Rock
My only wish would be for personal happiness - that covers any ill health etc in the family and amongst friends (I wouldn't be happy if someone I loved was ill). It would also involve having a job I loved, my daughter having all she needed and probably allow for few more diamonds. It would cover my husband and people I loved being happy because that would be part of what makes me happy. I think I've covered all the bases there, although it sounds selfish at first glance!

Jen

ETA Gypsy, the wording of your wishes reminds me that you are a lawyer to trade. Love it!
9.gif

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/2/2010 10:09:18 AM
Author: EBree
No wishing for unlimited wishes?
31.gif

Ha-that's the first wish I'd make! So:

1. Unlimited wishes.
2. Health and happiness for everyone I love.
3. Tons of $-I haven't decided on a firm number yet. Of course I would do good with some of it!
4. I can make another one because of my unlimited wishes! World peace, of course.
5. Human rights being improved/granted everywhere, especially to women.
6. I'll have to think about it some more...

Amandine

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t know about the other two, but I would certainly wish for perfect vision until I die. I have awful vision and I dream of waking up and seeing, or swimming...I know there is lasik, but it still makes me a little nervous. I figure that if I say until I die, I won''t have to worry about my eyeballs being the only thing left in my casket someday...
3.gif

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would wish for all cruelty to and neglect of animals, humans, and all other living things to stop immediately.

I''m sure you can find loopholes in that, so Perry''s first wish would also be mine.

I don''t really know what I''d wish for with my third wish, I''m pretty darn happy about everything else.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ahh... see I knew that there were others like me out there. Perry, you rock at this.

Okay so my first wish is Perry''s. Then my perfect health wish (with a stipulation that excludes suspended animation or anything of the sort). Then the cure for disease (with a stipulation that the cure cannot be worse than the disease, and that it cannot have a negative consequence in any manner shape or form).

Perry you are right about Genies. If you cannot leave the bottle unattended, then I honestly am not philanthropic enough to want to take its place.

MissMina, I thought about that. But the definition of peace and benevolent were too shaky. So I stuck to disease.

Ebree... well, I think you could. But I always assumed that the genie would state up fron that you couldn''t.

Indy, it is hard. Isn''t it?

MrsM.... HAH. I know it does sound lawyerly doesn''t it. Sorry it''s as natural as breathing by now. I like your wish. Personal happiness. And Perry''s first wish in there to ensure that there are no tricks.

Hi Thing, I love the human rights. I''d add animal rights too. How about that for number 6?

That''s a funny image Amandine. Just the eyeballs staring up into eternity. Although, you could donate them upon your death. Then someone else could have them.

Haven, I''m so glad you are happy with everything else. That says alot.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
9.gif

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
6 is definitely animal rights! What was I thinking?!

CaliSun

Shiny_Rock
Good heavens...
I''ve been thinking about this one nearly all day. And still, nothing.

However, I wouldn''t enter into any agreement without having all the terms and conditions fully disclosed up front.
I''m stumped!!! Tough one...

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Is this a trick question? A genie offers us three wishes, but regardless of what we wish for, we will be tricked by that raskel of a genie and nothing will transpire as we had hoped?
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results