shape
carat
color
clarity

If You Couldn't Have Your Current Diamond Shape . . .

iLander

Ideal_Rock
If you couldn't have your current diamond shape (RB, emerald, pear, whatever) and HAD to pick a different one, what would you pick?

I would go for a square emerald cut. It would be square like an Asscher, but not as deep. Something REEEEAAALLLYY spready. :bigsmile:

How about you, what would you choose?

Q

Queenie60

I would have a very large OEC :love:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's an EC right now, so I'd go with an antique style cushion if I cannot have it.

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
A really bright and sparkly round! :appl:

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oval now. A big EC or OEC/OMC. I have not seen an Octavia IRL so reserving judgement there as it is really pretty in pictures.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think a marquise. There was one on the preloved a little bit ago and I had to really hold myself back from buying it! I honestly did not like them before I found PS. The ones I'd seen were all very 80's. But that isn't the stone's fault! The setting really makes all the difference.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A big fat old cut chunky monkey pear. The fatter and chunkier the better. :love:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lambskin|1453914121|3982389 said:
I have not seen an Octavia IRL so reserving judgement there as it is really pretty in pictures.

Octavias look like crap in pictures compared to how they look in action.

If I couldn't have my Octavia I'd have to gouge my eyes out with a rusty old fork.

No, seriously I think I'd get an emerald cut ... as long as Chrono picked it out.
I saw hers, and it is dreamy. :love:

iLander

Ideal_Rock
kenny|1453915582|3982409 said:
I have not seen an Octavia IRL so reserving judgement there as it is really pretty in pictures.

If I couldn't have my Octavia I'd have to gouge my eyes out with a rusty old fork.

No, seriously I think I'd get an emerald cut ... as long as Chrono picked it out.

How did I miss that?!! :confused: Linky, linky, please! Chrono is like a lean, mean, stone-picking machine (I know she would consider that a compliment :D ) so I must see this!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would also go with an emerald cut, but I prefer a rectangular shape rather than square. They are so elegant. I've never seen one in real life that I didn't like, and I like that they're not as ubiquitous as rounds.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aw shucks.....I did have the very best teacher help me vet the stone, our local step cut resident, Karl!

purplesparklies

Brilliant_Rock
I have been eyeing the OECs shared here for years. But, I think I would go for a well cut marquise. In fact, I find myself searching for a great deal as I can not stop thinking about a gorgeous one that was recently listed for sale in pre-loved. I didn't have the funds and am kicking myself for missing that opportunity. :-/ grrrrr!!! I will find one someday!

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Chrono|1453916002|3982417 said:
Aw shucks.....I did have the very best teacher help me vet the stone, our local step cut resident, Karl!

Cough up the link, Chrono, you big tease! :D

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
iLander|1453915775|3982413 said:
kenny|1453915582|3982409 said:

How did I miss that?!! :confused: Linky, linky, please! Chrono is like a lean, mean, stone-picking machine (I know she would consider that a compliment :D ) so I must see this!

It was a wonderful but small GTG a couple years ago.
My old brain is so rotten I don't even recall if pics were posted of the GTG.
Shortly prior to that event I was blasted for taking and posting too many pics in Vegas so I probably didn't even bring a camera to this GTG.

Also before that I had never seen a Mahenge Spinel ... but Chrono's pear was so nice it practically melted one's eyeballs. :cheeky:
It glowed mysteriously with an inner light.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would have an oblong emerald-cut if I had a lot of money to spend and could have a large one. If not, a pear halo as they seem to look quite spready with the plump lower half giving good finger coverage.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I currently have a round, but would love to have a giant emerald cut (like Mariah Carey's).

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The fattest of marquise

SparklySoprano

Brilliant_Rock
Probably a larger OEC (2 carats+) that is warmer in color, either K-ish or even U-V ish. But, I'm also intrigued by what a pear or antique cushion would look like on my hand. The pear I would probably want as colorless as possible, and it would need to be more fat than lean, but the antique cushion I would want in almost a very light brown type color and it has to be on the bigger side, too. That is based on a fake stone I have seen that looked really unique, but in a real diamond not sure how that would look. ;))

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Probably either a HUGE Octavia or something like a Crisscut or Ashoka.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
An antique asscher, but it would have to be about 6 carats for the size whore in me! :cheeky:

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have AVC's, and I would do AVR's instead.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Shape-schmape.

I'd have these specific stones:
diamondseeker2006's 2.29 ct I VS1 AVR (August Vintage Round) from GOG and/or
rainbowradish's 3.15 GIA W-X SI2 Antique Marquise in the custom David Klass setting.

kmarla

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Currently have RB. Tried and loved Princess for a while but went back to RB, my first love. Now I would love an EC, in a nice rectangular shape. I'm not too greedy, I'd settle for a nice 1 carat or so with baguette sides.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Until recently (getting my 2.21 CBI) I was always drawn to fancy shapes because I found them to be "artistic".
I have a .75 marquise in a pendant, a fat 1.50 marquise in a RHR that I don't wear anymore becausd it has 24 princess cuts surrounding it, my 3.01 pear, and a small .80 FY cushion from Tiffanys.

My previous ering was a 2.05 D-VS2 oval that I traded in for the pear. I even reused the mounting because it had a peg head.

My latest acquistion is a small eternity band made of 5-pointer asschers. I already have 8 other eternity bands of various sizes from 3.25 to my current size 4.5 (middle and old age spread LOL), but they were all rounds, so I decided to do something different this time.

So if I had to pick another shape, it would be a FVY emerald. There was another PSer with this and vertically set baguettes that was to die for, so simple and elegant.

bbziggy

Shiny_Rock
I would probably like an old cut asher or emerald cut and large!!

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
A big beautiful AVC! :love:

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would get an oval.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
An Octavia. I would love one..

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mine is an EC, and I would probably pick a heart or a cushion.

DK :))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results