shape
carat
color
clarity

If you could visit any time in History where would you go and why?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/1/2009 5:13:51 PM
Author: B.H.S
Between the 1920''s and 1940''s, preferably in Los Angeles. I''m obsessed with the Art Deco period and old Hollywood glamour.
1.gif
My other choice would be ancient Egypt.
I just got some fab photographs of Ava Gardner, Grace Kelly and Norma Shearer from Ebay. They are really great copies. I am going to frame them and put them on my bedroom wall.
1.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'd like to visit Christ. Seriously. I'd want to go sit on the mountain and eat the loaves of bread and the fish.

Then I'd like to meet Noah and see his Ark.

I'm a slightly religious, and have faith about some things, but I view the bible as a historical/ mythological text in many ways. So I'd like to go back and witness the events, and see what was really going on.

After that I'd like to visit Helen of Troy and have a chat with her.

And then Louis the 14th, the Sun King. and explain to him how his brilliant idea of pulling all of his nobles away from their estates to serve in an elaborate court DOES keep them loyal... but completely screws over the rest of the people in his kingdom. Basically I'd like to his ghost of Christmas future and introduce him to the "rights of man."

I think Henry the 8th was a lost cause. But I've always felt great sympathy for Mary Queen of Scotts and would love to help her.

Yes, I've given this some thought.
emembarrassed.gif

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gosh, where to start. The two that come most quickly to mind...

To be a serious historian versed in ancient languages, with a list of fabled lost works, a tiny camera, and to be dropped into Alexandria in the decade before the burning of the Great Library.

To be able to watch the design and execution of the Chi Rho page of the Book of Kells.

ETA - Oh, and to be there on that fateful day, and waylay Hypatia, and suggest that this was probably NOT the day for her to go to work, but rather to sneak out for a loooong vacation. Here honey, let me help you pack.
2.gif

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
What a great question! History is my favorite subject, and there are so many time periods I would be interested in visiting, for various reasons. They would be:

The court of Louis XV in France, 1700s.
The court of Henry VIII, England, 1500s, and of his daughter, Queen Elizabeth I.
Ancient Ireland - matriarchal society.
Ancient India.

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
I''m not religious, but I hear the Garden of Eden was the jump off. That''s where I''m headed.

But, apparently, I can''t go anywhere before 1980... according to Louis CK... (language warning!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TG4f9zR5yzY

2.gif

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
I am not sure I would want to because I would be to tempted to change things/people that cause terrible things in the world and thus screwing up the space time continum.

2.gif

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is an easy one for me. No matter how many times I''ve been asked this question, I''ve always have the same answer. I would give anything to have been there for the last three year''s of Jesus''s life to hear Him speak and teach.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
History scares me. Everything was so primative. There's many times/places I'd love to visit, such as the Mayan civilization, but they were violent. . .might not be safe! They might drink my blood. Other possible fatalities which may occur from visiting other cultures would include being beheaded, accused of being a witch/burned at the stake, becoming a vicim of the black plague. . .The list goes on and on. THAT ASIDE. . . My choice would be Atlantis. It's a complete mystery and it would be fun to go there without having any preconcieved notions.

Fleur_de_Lis

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/1/2009 5:17:05 PM
Author: Maisie

Between the 1920's and 1940's, preferably in Los Angeles. I'm obsessed with the Art Deco period and old Hollywood glamour.
1.gif

I just got some fab photographs of Ava Gardner, Grace Kelly and Norma Shearer from Ebay. They are really great copies. I am going to frame them and put them on my bedroom wall.
1.gif

They sound beautiful, and that sounds like a great plan for them.

Grace Kelly has always been my idol. She was so beautiful and elegant. In many ways I aspire to be like her.

Enjoy your beautiful pictures.
1.gif

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
I would love to go back in time to visit DaVinci and Newton.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Between the 1920''s and 1940''s, preferably in Los Angeles. I''m obsessed with the Art Deco period and old Hollywood glamour.
1.gif
Ditto. That would be my second choice for an era -- in either LA or NYC. Love the Art Deco and Moderne periods.

Third runner-up would be the 1960''s as an adult, instead of as a kid like I was.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Call me an unimaginative, humorless feminist, but I don''t want to be anywhere but now. Or maybe a few years into the future.

I definitely don''t want to be anywhere where women had to be in the home and the men were men.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/2/2009 1:29:32 PM
Author: thing2of2
Call me an unimaginative, humorless feminist, but I don''t want to be anywhere but now. Or maybe a few years into the future.

I definitely don''t want to be anywhere where women had to be in the home and the men were men.
My grandmother and her five sisters were all career women; from the 1920s through to their retirements in the ''60s. No one told them they had to stay at home. One aunt owned a car dealership with her husband, and another owned a grocery store with her husband. So they were also entrepreneurs, as well as teachers with Master''s Degrees, and insurance company executives. You''ve been reading too much feminist propoganda.
3.gif
2.gif

What''s wrong with men being men? Isn''t the whole metrosexual male thing getting a little old?
14.gif

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Can I go to the future instead, please?
12.gif
9.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/2/2009 3:59:31 PM
Author: musey
12.gif
9.gif
Nope, there is no future. The world is ending December 21, 2012!
3.gif

WishfulThinking

Brilliant_Rock
Here and now is just fine for me, thanks. I''m barely tolerated as it is, no need to hang out in time periods where it was by all accounts a great deal worse.

tlh

Ideal_Rock
I''d want to go back in time and boink Yul Brenner.
18.gif

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/2/2009 5:07:48 PM
Author: tlh
I''d want to go back in time and boink Yul Brenner.
18.gif
He was quite fine.
28.gif

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
There are quite a few historically past places I''d want to go to -
Ancient Rome...esp. during the time of Julius Caesar...Ancient Greece...I''d love to meet Plato...medieval England...want to meet Chaucer...Shakespearean England (to meet Shakespeare, Elizabeth I, and also around that time to meet my all-time favorite poet, John Donne)...

But aside from the historical times, I''d honestly love to take a peek at the future - 5,000, 10,000 and 20,000 years from now.
1.gif

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
12.gif
9.gif

If we are going to the future I want a hover board YEEAH YEAHHH

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ah! To watch Van Gogh paint! To see The Great Pyramid near completion or watch the hand and mind of Phidias as work as he designed the Parthenon. To watch the goldsmith who made the Tara Brooch...

So many fabulous events to witness...sigh.

IloveAsschers13

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/1/2009 4:17:54 PM
Author: kittybean
I want to go party in the Roarin'' Twenties and have a chat with F. Scott Fitzgerald. I love the style, music, and literature of that era.

I totally agree- I wanna be a flapper girl, or a person in high society.. sign me up! Although, I have curved, wouldn''t look good in boy-shaped clothes, but they are beautiful! And the jewelry!!!!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have to say...I'd go back to the time of some famous mathematician: Lipschitz, Poisson, Cauchy, Euler, or something, and then prove something JUST before they do it. And name the result after myself, of course.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/2/2009 4:08:31 PM
Author: MC
12.gif
9.gif
Nope, there is no future. The world is ending December 21, 2012!
3.gif
I plan to be sipping a piña colada on a Hawaiian beach on that day
10.gif

I''ve watched a few of the history channel documentaries on this (nostradamus, mayan calendar, etc.) and it''s fascinating!

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/2/2009 9:43:10 PM
Author: Deelight
12.gif
9.gif
WOOT! We can meet up and ''skate'' together
3.gif

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2009 5:03:44 PM
Date: 3/2/2009 9:43:10 PM

Author: Deelight

12.gif
9.gif

WOOT! We can meet up and ''skate'' together
3.gif

Tubular
3.gif

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I can say with 100% honesty that I would go to the victorian ages. Who wouldn''t want to experience the furniture and the dresses and teh horses!?!?!?!

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
I would love to meet all my family members that were lost in a war.My grandmother was always telling us about all of them.Also both of my grandfathers that I never met and other family members like my Great Grandparents etc.
It would be a real pleasure and fun for me.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results