carat
color
clarity

If you could live anywhere in the world

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Where would you choose to live and why?
Where do you want your forever Home Sweet Home to be?

And if it is where you live right now please elaborate as to why you love living where you live.

I am not sure if there's a similar thread on PS but I would love to hear the most recent thoughts on this topic anyway.

I realize this answer might vary depending on if one is retired or working but answer it however you like. Either or both options are welcome.

Thanks.

homesweethomeforever.jpg

Reactions: AV_

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love my house, neighbourhood, the closest town and the surrounding areas.
I have not planned to move again, and have planned to extend the house in the future.
However, if I were to win the lottery and could find a suitable plot of land near me now to build my own home, as in have it built to my design and specifications, then I would consider moving again.
I really hated relocations. Of all the big life events, and I have had them all, I found relocation the most stressful.
DK :))

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love my house, neighbourhood, the closest town and the surrounding areas.
I have not planned to move again, and have planned to extend the house in the future.
However, if I were to win the lottery and could find a suitable plot of land near me now to build my own home, as in have it built to my design and specifications, then I would consider moving again.
I really hated relocations. Of all the big life events, and I have had them all, I found relocation the most stressful.
DK :))

I agree completely. Moving is very stressful. Right up there with death and divorce and losing one's job. But if you don't mind sharing the general location of where you would love to live. I have been thinking about the best place to live and of course depends on the individual (couple) and I am interested in hearing others thoughts about this.

For me, right now, because my family (parents/sister/nieces/MIL) live here I want to stay in the NYC/Jersey shore area but once they are no longer a consideration I am open to relocating to the West coast but there is so much to consider.

I would say my number one priority (after family proximity) is weather when deciding where to live. I love change of seasons but as I get older I want less extreme temps and would love Northern California as there is a change in seasons there still but less freezing and less heat extremes. Though other things give me pause about moving there. Cost of living being one though where we live now cost of living is just as high if not higher depending on where one lives. And then there are earthquakes/flooding and fires to consider. Plus other issues. I know there is no perfect place to live. The question is where is the best place to live and that is different for everyone. For me the weather out there on the west coast is so tempting. I am an outdoor girl and love being outside as much as possible but it is weather dependent for me as I do not do well when it is too cold or too hot.

Also critical is being near a city where there is lots of interesting things to do. Culturally speaking. And being near good medical/hospitals because as one ages that becomes more important. Good schools do not matter for us so we can cross that consideration off the list. And I need to be near the sea. It gives me energy and I just love the sea. And we need good cycling trails for sure. We love to cycle and do it as often as we can.

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would live in the penthouse in the Pierre Hotel in New York City.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Madam Bijoux -

I haven't stayed in the Pierre, but my husband booked us the Skylight Suite in the Ritz Carlton on the park in NYC for 3 nights, which was one of only two huge suites on the top floor of the hotel, the first time we visited the US. NYC was my dream destination when we lived in Australia and we were only going to be there a short time on the way elsewhere, so he went all out. I'll never forget it; it was one of the most amazing experiences of my life to that point. We arrived straight from the airport, we looked like death, and I will never know how they knew this - but one of the doormen opened the taxi door and, as we got out, said, "Welcome to the Ritz Carlton and to New York, Mr and Mrs B." HOW DID HE KNOW THAT??? To this day, I just shake my head....

If I could live anywhere...I think my dream living arrangement would be multiple addresses. Not because I can't decide, but just because my dream scenario is a lot of movement. An apartment in NY, a home in South Pasadena / Pasadena / San Marino - which is where I had my apartment (now let go) for a couple of years. Something large and old and rambly in the Blue Mountains in Australia and maybe something in the Whitsunday Islands as well. Something in Edinburgh would be fabulous and ditto Paris. Sigh.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maui. OMG, I love that place.
I've been there many times. The weather, the laid back atmosphere, the flowery breeze.
The natural beauty there is stunning.
If I could, I would.
In a heartbeat.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I haven’t been to too many places outside of the US..but went to Italy three years ago for the first time. I fell in love with it. I’m 100% Italian but don’t look it at all...I’m very fair with blue eyes..My grandfather was from Northern Italy so I probably inherited that from him. Anyway.....I would do like MrsB and have homes in different areas. Italy would definitely be one...A house near each of my sons so Va and Pa..and somewhere right on the ocean.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I had to choose today, it would be Slovenia. Been there 5 times. I love the country's commitment to its natural environment and its location makes it easy to visit the rest of Europe.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Negril Jamaica Yaron!!!
The food the beach everything moves slowly. People enjoying life.
NYC clearly ain’t what it used to be

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Somewhere peaceful by the water. Years ago I stayed in a tiny but very lovely town called Merimbula in Southern Australia. Anybody know it? I thought I had died & gone to heaven. We rented a little cottage right by the beach, paddled in the warm water at sunrise, ate in a gorgeous little place nearby, cooked outside at sunset with a glass of cold Aussie chardonnay & watched pelicans fishing for their breakfast. I have a painting framed on my bathroom wall of the sand bank which was painted by a local chap. I watched him, then swooped in & offered him some money! Everytime I see it, I take a deep breath in & inhale the memory.

I definitely left a piece of my heart in that town & dream of going back on day with my children.

In an ideal world with money being no object, I would have a place here in the UK & a cottage somewhere like that.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would move to some state in the southern US where its warm year around and I want to be near the ocean...I hate the cold, snow and ice

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My ideal place would probably not exist. I’d pick a very modern place in the mountains that is isolated with very dark skies. Id want to be able to have an unobstructed view of the sunrise and sunset. I’d want moderate temperatures with plenary of nearby stores and restaurants. I suppose this is possible with unlimited cash flow but of course I’d need to win the lottery first.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Madam Bijoux -

I haven't stayed in the Pierre, but my husband booked us the Skylight Suite in the Ritz Carlton on the park in NYC for 3 nights, which was one of only two huge suites on the top floor of the hotel, the first time we visited the US. NYC was my dream destination when we lived in Australia and we were only going to be there a short time on the way elsewhere, so he went all out. I'll never forget it; it was one of the most amazing experiences of my life to that point. We arrived straight from the airport, we looked like death, and I will never know how they knew this - but one of the doormen opened the taxi door and, as we got out, said, "Welcome to the Ritz Carlton and to New York, Mr and Mrs B." HOW DID HE KNOW THAT??? To this day, I just shake my head....

If I could live anywhere...I think my dream living arrangement would be multiple addresses. Not because I can't decide, but just because my dream scenario is a lot of movement. An apartment in NY, a home in South Pasadena / Pasadena / San Marino - which is where I had my apartment (now let go) for a couple of years. Something large and old and rambly in the Blue Mountains in Australia and maybe something in the Whitsunday Islands as well. Something in Edinburgh would be fabulous and ditto Paris. Sigh.

LOL we stayed at the Ritz Carlton on Central park for the first night of our honeymoon. It was magical but speaking of magical @mrs-b please check out The Point in the Adirondacks if you haven't already. Hands down the most spectacular place we ever stayed.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My ideal place would probably not exist. I’d pick a very modern place in the mountains that is isolated with very dark skies. Id want to be able to have an unobstructed view of the sunrise and sunset. I’d want moderate temperatures with plenary of nearby stores and restaurants. I suppose this is possible with unlimited cash flow but of course I’d need to win the lottery first.

Sounds gorgeous @marcy. If you ever find this place Greg and I would love to visit you. Just saying. 8-)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Somewhere peaceful by the water. Years ago I stayed in a tiny but very lovely town called Merimbula in Southern Australia. Anybody know it? I thought I had died & gone to heaven. We rented a little cottage right by the beach, paddled in the warm water at sunrise, ate in a gorgeous little place nearby, cooked outside at sunset with a glass of cold Aussie chardonnay & watched pelicans fishing for their breakfast. I have a painting framed on my bathroom wall of the sand bank which was painted by a local chap. I watched him, then swooped in & offered him some money! Everytime I see it, I take a deep breath in & inhale the memory.

I definitely left a piece of my heart in that town & dream of going back on day with my children.

In an ideal world with money being no object, I would have a place here in the UK & a cottage somewhere like that.

Yes isn't there something amazing about being by the water? Tranquil and serene and so beautiful. Makes everything seem like it will be OK.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would move to some state in the southern US where its warm year around and I want to be near the ocean...I hate the cold, snow and ice

Yup as I get older the cold isn't my friend. I could do without the ice and snow too though I don't love the heat either. Hope you can make your dream come true.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Negril Jamaica Yaron!!!
The food the beach everything moves slowly. People enjoying life.
NYC clearly ain’t what it used to be

True dat.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I had to choose today, it would be Slovenia. Been there 5 times. I love the country's commitment to its natural environment and its location makes it easy to visit the rest of Europe.

Sounds beautiful @Matata. I have never been but now I want to visit.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I haven’t been to too many places outside of the US..but went to Italy three years ago for the first time. I fell in love with it. I’m 100% Italian but don’t look it at all...I’m very fair with blue eyes..My grandfather was from Northern Italy so I probably inherited that from him. Anyway.....I would do like MrsB and have homes in different areas. Italy would definitely be one...A house near each of my sons so Va and Pa..and somewhere right on the ocean.

Ooh Italy is one of my favorite places. I stayed 3 months there during the summer of 1985 and then spent another 3 weeks there during our honeymoon. Love it. The food, the history, the people.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maui. OMG, I love that place.
I've been there many times. The weather, the laid back atmosphere, the flowery breeze.
The natural beauty there is stunning.
If I could, I would.
In a heartbeat.

My friends just moved there full time to retire. I have never been to Hawaii but I cannot wait to visit one day. Looks like heaven on earth.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Tartansparkles

Brilliant_Rock
@mrs-b mentioned Edinburgh...but Glasgow's where it's at! (Though being a Weegie rather than a Burger I may be biased! :lol: )

Scotland is home. I like that (until recently) the First Minister (aka The Nicola, polite pet name) and the leaders of the opposition parties were all female.

You're mostly within 45 mins driving distance of the sea or mountains, or both, from just about anywhere. We don't have extremes of weather, we don't have beasties (apart from midgies) and while we moan about the summers, if you do get a sunny day, there isn't anywhere else I'd rather be. In the summer it doesn't really get dark, just dark-ish.

We still hold doors open for people and say thank you to the bus driver/train conductor when we get off the bus/train. If you accidentally left a beautifully wrapped package on the seat of public transport, you'd expect it to be handed in to lost property. I think that's partly because there are only 5m of us in the whole country and having more personal space makes it easier to be a better behaved person. Although we do have our share of numpties!

Capture.JPG

Family photo of beach in Skye

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmm.... (apart from home/Oz) I think I would love to live in Switzerland - it was honestly a magical place, everywhere looked like a scene from a fairy tale book! I love snow too and it was the lightest, fluffiest snow I'd ever touched. All the fields were so lush & green. I love the old architecture, the people were warm & friendly too. Everything was so CLEAN and ORDERLY :lol: that's kinda my vibe I guess!
schweiz-davos.jpg

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
my very first thought
if money is no option
id move down the shore as in New Jersey
but to be honest im not sure i would survive the winter litterly because i hate winter clothes

for 20 years i was so homesick for my home town it was like a physical pain eventually the homesickness applied to the entire South island and id see it every morning from my train to work - so close yet so far

Dunedin is in my bones and I'll feel sad forever
i always thought id become successful somehow and would return home a celebrated daughter
but you know its a propper city, a main centre rich in heritage and culture but also forward looking and innovative
it will have moved on without me and i won't belong

if money was no option maybe id just buy a house in the suburb where we lived before, Tawa, North Wellington. houses are so expensive we didn't even waste time or heart break looking but its so windy and the dirt is clay and rock, its hard to have a nice garden and its sitting on multiple fault lines

i do love this small provincal city of Wanhanui where we recently moved to
its kind of like a baby Dunedin and i feel less home sick here
the climate is temperate and its perfect for gardening
but life has been less than kind since we moved here
we havn't made a single friend except for a stray tom cat
we live in a nice supburb just the least nice street and its not scruffy or anything, just mainly rentals

maybe we could bowl the neighbour's house
its a rental and the people are just awful and landlord's don't care so long as the rent is paid
and relocate a Californian bungalow from a few streets over
because i grew up in a Californian bungalow
and lift our house up and build more house under it even though its perfectly adequate for 2 people and 2 cats as it is - we need indoor outdoor flow and a new bathroom and a better bigger kitchen
Dunedin-1.jpg
Dunedin
Wanganui-1.jpg
Wanganui
Bruce-Springsteen-new-york-2015-a-billboard-1548.jpg
New Jersey

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
serra_cume.jpg

Terceira Island, one of Azores' nine islands in the middle of the Atlantic - an autonomous region of Portugal.

Why?
It's stunningly beautiful, as are its people.
I lived there a year and a half while in the military.
Best place I've ever been.

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Dunedin is in my bones and I'll feel sad forever
i always thought id become successful somehow and would return home a celebrated daughter
but you know its a propper city, a main centre rich in heritage and culture but also forward looking and innovative
it will have moved on without me and i won't belong
We loved the (too short) time we spent in Dunedin - would love to get back someday!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
We loved the (too short) time we spent in Dunedin - would love to get back someday!
im so happy you enjoyed it
if i could get the smiles to work id soooooo overdo it right now !

Trekkie

Brilliant_Rock
I used to say Cape Town.

I lived there for a number of years and loved it. I miss it every day. But it now has the 11th highest murder rate in the world, so that's a miss for me. People say "oh, but that's only in the coloured areas, stay away from them and you'll be fine!" but my mother's extended family mostly lives in the coloured areas, and I'd be moving there partly to be closer to my family so that won't work for me.

My second choice would undoubtedly be Perth, Western Australia.

Beautiful, clean, safe mid-sized city with all the amenities of first world living and yet only a couple of hours away from the bush. Unfortunately we took too long to make our decision so that's off the table for us.

And now it looks like we are moving to Bristol!

Beautiful, clean, safe city with a rich history, incredible architecture, first world shopping, a hop and a skip away from Europe (damn you, Brexit!), my brother and sister and all my cousins right there, and all their children and grandchildren for my children to grow up with.

I am desperately unhappy where I live now. I know moving won't fix everything but having reliable electricity and clean running water would certainly make life easier.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@mrs-b mentioned Edinburgh...but Glasgow's where it's at! (Though being a Weegie rather than a Burger I may be biased! :lol: )

Scotland is home. I like that (until recently) the First Minister (aka The Nicola, polite pet name) and the leaders of the opposition parties were all female.

You're mostly within 45 mins driving distance of the sea or mountains, or both, from just about anywhere. We don't have extremes of weather, we don't have beasties (apart from midgies) and while we moan about the summers, if you do get a sunny day, there isn't anywhere else I'd rather be. In the summer it doesn't really get dark, just dark-ish.

We still hold doors open for people and say thank you to the bus driver/train conductor when we get off the bus/train. If you accidentally left a beautifully wrapped package on the seat of public transport, you'd expect it to be handed in to lost property. I think that's partly because there are only 5m of us in the whole country and having more personal space makes it easier to be a better behaved person. Although we do have our share of numpties!

Capture.JPG

Family photo of beach in Skye

What a lovely place to live. Gorgeous scenery and wonderful people.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmm.... (apart from home/Oz) I think I would love to live in Switzerland - it was honestly a magical place, everywhere looked like a scene from a fairy tale book! I love snow too and it was the lightest, fluffiest snow I'd ever touched. All the fields were so lush & green. I love the old architecture, the people were warm & friendly too. Everything was so CLEAN and ORDERLY :lol: that's kinda my vibe I guess!
schweiz-davos.jpg

Switzerland is beautiful. I haven't visited there in many decades but very much enjoyed it when I was there. I too enjoy clean and orderly.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results