shape
carat
color
clarity

If you could go back to school just for fun what subject

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Or area of study would you choose? Not to make a living or anything. Just if you had the opportunity to choose anything to study what subject would you want to learn more about?

I would choose philosophy as I didn't take any philosophy classes in college and the little I do know I find fascinating and it is an area I would like to learn more about. Plus my dh majored in philosophy and political science in college so it would be fun to discuss this subject with him.

What area of study would you like to learn more about just for fun?

blingbunny10

Brilliant_Rock
Economics or political science/history. It's embarrassing how little I know about politics, history, world affairs, etc.

I also took a couple psychology courses that were interesting - I'd put that subject on the list, too.

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
Physics! Engineering! Biology.

PattyCo

Brilliant_Rock
Interior Design. I love those shows. I love how the finished rooms look so peaceful and restful. People are surrounded by stress everywhere they go, so going home should be the most peaceful place to be. I would love to be able to do that for someone.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mathematics - start at calculus and get a PhD! I'm so grateful for the few really fantastic math teachers I had in the past. I was very disappointed once I got to college with the professors i had my freshman year. I would love to be a kick ass professor!

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Forensics.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
World History.

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Anthropology. I ended up taking one anthro class called "plagues and the people" and absolutely loved it!

I have a bachelor's of science with double major in biology and neuroscience followed by a chemical Engineering degree and an Engineering masters. Enough science and math. I want to learn about people!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gobs and gobs of science.
I'm curious about so many things.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Gym.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Too many things.

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
6 years of college was quite enough thanks. There are lots of things that interest me but I don't care to do papers and tests anymore. I attend lectures and workshops on things for fun, but I wouldn't want it in a formal setting.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
blingbunny10 said:
Economics or political science/history. It's embarrassing how little I know about politics, history, world affairs, etc. I also took a couple psychology courses that were interesting - I'd put that subject on the list, too.

Funny, I double majored in Econ and Poli Sci. I'm still clueless half the time.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
An art history class.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Education / teaching. And side classes of astronomy. :appl:

artdecogirl

Brilliant_Rock
Literature or botany :love: :love: :love:

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Latin and philosophy... although I'd like to give chemistry another shot, too!

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
English/Literature

I actually majored in English while in college . Back then, I really didn't have the time and maturity (to my mind) to truly appreciate much of what I was studying. It was more of a means to an end. The end being graduation. Now, I'd love to simply read what's on the syllabus and observe, maybe participate in class discussions. Every year at Back to School Night, as my daughters' middle school, then high school English teachers describe what they will be studying that year, I'm thinking: I wish I could be in this class! I have a feeling I would be the most appreciative of students.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
100 times over, gemology.

I love my field. SO much. I'm a very passionate speech language pathologist and I'm lucky it's my first and only major.

However, if I can afford it, I would take GIA classes. Gemstones and diamonds fascinate me. Metalsmithing? Lapidary? anything related would make me so happy. I can't wait to retire so I can take some courses for fun :love:

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One of the few instruments I know don't know to play--the harp. Such an elegant, fascinating instrument.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I Love reading what everyone would take just for fun. I have a few more subjects that I want to take too.

Psychology definitely since I only took 2 psych courses in college. Loved archaeology too as I took one semester and it was so much fun. And yes to anthropology too. Also would love to take more history courses and art history too. And sign me up for playing the bassoon as I never got to do that and I wanted to learn that instrument. And the oboe. And maybe the drums too. 8)

And if possible I would love to learn French. I say if possible because it is a real challenge for a girl from Brooklyn to learn a good french accent. Madelise, would you help me with that? :lol:

And Marcy, put me down for astronomy too OK?

Gee if it wasn't so expensive to take courses these days this is a dream we could all realize. Of course we could always self teach but I really enjoy taking courses in a class because you can interact more easily with the students and professor. I always asked a lot of questions in school. :bigsmile:

But if I could only take one subject of study I will stick with learning more about philosophy. :halo:

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Languages- I'd love to be fluent in at least one, maybe Italian? I do have a working knowledge of French from High School but it would be cool to keep up a conversation with a local!

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Music and Mathematics.

I would also like to finish what I have started in Horticulture.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Languages and linguistics.

cheers--Sharon

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
History/ literature

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For Missy and others who live in NYC: all the CUNY schools offer free or greatly reduced tuition (less than $100) to seniors who aren't interested in getting course credits -- and better still, Brooklyn College no longer has a minimum age requirement to qualify for their deal:
http://www.brooklyn.cuny.edu/web/academics/centers/
Perhaps other CUNY schools have also done away with requiring you to be 60+, but Brooklyn College's Lifelong Learning Program is the first one I came across.

TimeOut NYC posted this round-up of less academic offerings a few days ago:
http://www.timeout.com/newyork/things-to-do/classes

P.S. I don't know if it would be great fun, but I'd like to take several Economics courses (really regret not having done that while in college) & I would add 20th century architectural history; NYC and NY state history (grew up in the Midwest, so didn't get this in elementary or high school); and some textile arts classes & workshops to my "shopping cart" :))

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Organic chemistry, domestic science, and to learn to play the clarinet or saxophone.

DK :))

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MollyMalone|1456643210|3996877 said:
For Missy and others who live in NYC: all the CUNY schools offer free or greatly reduced tuition (less than $100) to seniors who aren't interested in getting course credits -- and better still, Brooklyn College no longer has a minimum age requirement to qualify for their deal:
http://www.brooklyn.cuny.edu/web/academics/centers/
Perhaps other CUNY schools have also done away with requiring you to be 60+, but Brooklyn College's Lifelong Learning Program is the first one I came across.

TimeOut NYC posted this round-up of less academic offerings a few days ago:
http://www.timeout.com/newyork/things-to-do/classes

P.S. I don't know if it would be great fun, but I'd like to take several Economics courses (really regret not having done that while in college) & I would add 20th century architectural history; NYC and NY state history (grew up in the Midwest, so didn't get this in elementary or high school); and some textile arts classes & workshops to my "shopping cart" :))

Thank you Molly! I appreciate the info and will explore this option, thank you so much!

Sky56

Brilliant_Rock
jewelry making or

David Grisman's School of Mandolin

Scandinavian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Advanced theoretical physics / math. Always wanted to do that but couldn't figure out how to make a career that way so went with something else instead :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results