shape
carat
color
clarity

If you could do it all over again....

GoldenTouch

Shiny_Rock
I would not of got a ring.... because if I had my time over I would never of married :angryfire:. Very hard lesson learnt here!

I had a lovely 3 stone which will be made into earrings & pendant, a divorce ring or kept for my daughter if she wants it. That is if I get to keep it. My x husband has included it in the property settlement :wall:

If given the choice I would of chosen a HUGE pave domed diamond knuckle duster & a very thin gold band.

I plan on getting one for my 50th which is still a few years away yet.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
If I could do it over I would have bought my beautiful one carat OEC. I wasted so much time and money upgrading and yearning for a big diamond.

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd start at WF and by now I'd prob have a 4ct instead of 3. lol

sunshowers

Rough_Rock
I would've told my fiance my ring size so that my ring would've been sized correctly from the start. My ring had to be sized down significantly and now it's kind of a wonky shape.

I would've asked to be more involved/informed when it came to shopping for the diamond. My fiance really wanted to choose the stone himself, and he went for really high color and clarity over size. I underestimated how much I like the look of a bigger stone!

EmeraldEmpress

Shiny_Rock
Awww. Thanks. I've done many crazy things in my life, but this is among my top 5 riskiest. The poor thing was trapped on a mid-channel island hanging onto a sapling. She must have gotten washed in the river during the rain and floods after a storm/ My husband (then fiance) trusted my river and water smarts. I entered the river to retrieve her while he monitored my rope and sent me good balance vibes. Love a man that trusts his women's capabilities without question {married for 19 years now...} The kitty lived to be 21 and was sweet and gentle her whole life. I like to imagine that someone who is in need will find that ring and be able to use it for good. =)2

You have the purest heart! Good karma is sure to come your way : )

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think in some ways I have been able to do it all over again, albeit more expensively. I have sold off most of my collection and only kept sentimental pieces or colored stone rings that I really love. I keep thinking I need a three carat OEC but then change my mind. If the feeling sticks I will buy one, but I will sell my 1.73 OEC to help offset the cost.

I think for me it has been the thrill of the chase. I have spent countless hours searching for diamonds, gems, and choosing settings. It has been fun.

tinatark

Shiny_Rock
32 years ago (last week!)... the .25 pear I got was perfect. I have changed... hm.. from that to a .5 round with .10 marquise sides, then had that reset onto a wide, comfort fit band, then an upgrade to my 2 carat radiant in a 1 carat setting, (that one was lost, thankful for insurance) to my current 2 carat round in a (little less than) 4 carat setting. I have often thought I would like my original pear as a side stone in a 3 stone round with pears on each side, but I can't bear the thought of taking it out of the original setting!

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I would have definitely told my husband I wanted Whiteflash instead of a lab diamond oval, which my poor husband got doped into buying a cz. But I do love my marquise so it worked out for the best, maybe instead I can get a nice pair of everyday studs

headlight

Ideal_Rock
This is an easy one for me:
1. Not give away (trade away) my original engagement ring;
2. Not get the diamond I traded # 1 for;
3. Definitely not trade diamond # 2 for # 3 diamond (ugly, dark inclusions).
4. Not get the 3rd mounting I set diamond # 3 in that was ergonomically horrific, that cost me a lot of money... and the additional cost, an absolutely extra exorbitant amount of money for the jeweler to try to modify it that only made things worse;
5. Not end up with a crappy 3X on most recent trade (keep in mind this is now diamond # 4) which said diamond was to be “it”, the one that finally gets it right amongst all my stupid upgrade selections and was to help me make peace with the heartbreakingly stupid decision to trade away my original beautiful diamond that i am devastatingly sick about.
So now more despair, frustrating, regret; feel cheated, misled, victimized, drained, and exhausted.
Yes, many, many regrets :(

CareBear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
We should have gotten my first e-ring from WF. We would have not lost the several thousand trading in with WF 10 years later. But after several upgrades, plus the trade-in to WF, I finally have my dream round stone.
As much as I love my cushion halo, I do regret not getting an EC for my second ring. A 3.5 carat EC is still on the bucket list. :lol::lol:

kimf79

Shiny_Rock
I would spend 90% of my budget on the diamond. we bought an expensive setting and I regret that I could have had more diamond for my money. im not sure though what setting I would do - maybe an invisible halo. I would get a bigger diamond (less on setting) and I do regret not going higher in clarity. I just didn't know, and I honestly feel a little duped by the jeweler we worked with for my e-ring.

also im into old euro cuts maybe I would have done an older diamond cut or antique style but blingy.

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
I would have gone for a simpler stone/setting and thinner band. I find my taste gets a bit simpler as I get older.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I could do it all over again, I would've asked him not to spend the money on a ring for the engagement and get me a thick yellow gold band or a moissanite ring instead. Our financial status then was fine then, but it's better now. I would've preferred we had the extra funds for putting down on our house or buying it sooner, and *now* buying a ring. Now I have to deal with the stress of selling it to upgrade it rather than just buying what I want outright without the stress. He thought I'd never upgrade. Lol, what a failure of expectation for an OG PS'er!

I also wish we didn't do the wedding reception, and wish I doubled down on saying no because I still get upset at the money wasted. I wish my in-laws can retire earlier so we can spend more time with them, or they would've spent that money on our housing situation or whatever. That party mattered nothing for me, and I wish we used it to alleviate how hard we worked the first 3 years of marriage instead of family planning. Now that we're having a lot of difficulties, I can't help but feel resentment for every large financial choice we made in the past that didn't really mean much over time.

But ce la vie! Hind sight is always 20-20. We can only try to avoid mistakes in our now so we don't look back in the future and regret today's choices.

Nymeria

Rough_Rock
This is an easy one for me:
1. Not give away (trade away) my original engagement ring;
2. Not get the diamond I traded # 1 for;
3. Definitely not trade diamond # 2 for # 3 diamond (ugly, dark inclusions).
4. Not get the 3rd mounting I set diamond # 3 in that was ergonomically horrific, that cost me a lot of money... and the additional cost, an absolutely extra exorbitant amount of money for the jeweler to try to modify it that only made things worse;
5. Not end up with a crappy 3X on most recent trade (keep in mind this is now diamond # 4) which said diamond was to be “it”, the one that finally gets it right amongst all my stupid upgrade selections and was to help me make peace with the heartbreakingly stupid decision to trade away my original beautiful diamond that i am devastatingly sick about.
So now more despair, frustrating, regret; feel cheated, misled, victimized, drained, and exhausted.
Yes, many, many regrets :(
Is that your current ring in your avatar? It's beautiful!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results