shape
carat
color
clarity

If $ was no object - keep upgrading or a Forever ring?

Alexiszoe

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If money was no object and you had the ability to afford any ring right now...would you buy the honking ring of your dreams, or prefer to upgrade over time?

My girlfriend and I were having a discussion post jewelry store shopping (where I discovered a 10 carat emerald-cut diamond looked perfect on my finger :shock:, although the 8.5 carat round just look a bit too much on me ) and it made us wonder...if we had the money would we buy that ring of our dreams or upgrade over time? The process of upgrading can be fun, but being able to wear the dream ring now is indeed a dream come true!

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Part of the appeal of upgrading is just boredom plain and simple. We, the human race, strives for bigger, better, faster all the time. It's the same for houses, cars and other things one owns. I don't think that buying "perfection" right now stops anyone wanting anything else in the future.

I don't have a honking ring, mine is 1/2 carat. I cared for a while but my priorities changed and I want more holidays and a nicer house. If money was no object, and even if I bought the dream house right now, the dream would still change in a few years. It's the same with rings. Emerald cut now, get bored, fall in love with tapered side stones, get bored, halo it, get bored, buy a heart cut... I think if you can afford your current dream then it may be less likely to happen, but I wouldn't underestimate the want to change and perfect.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have to agree with @Rhea :D I get bored very easily and upgrading things is a nice way to make life exciting again. Homes, cars, vacations, jewelry...the only thing I don't want to upgrade is my DH (for now :lol:). I feel like if I got my dream ring that quickly (or easily) I wouldn't appreciate it as much and I'd end up wanting something else before too long. Much like my dream house, my dream ring is something I strive for and work for and look forward to hopefully one day having.

I actually started with a small diamond ring because that's all we could afford (Seriously, it was $100 and we bought it off ebay. :eek2:). I don't wear it anymore but it is one I would never get rid of for sentimental reasons. We upgraded my e-ring for our 5th anniversary (which I lost :cry2:) and again a couple years after that. Now I'm on a gemstone kick and a wear a different gemstone ring every day. :mrgreen2:

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with @Rhea too. For me, it's more about changing styles and tastes than bigger-better-blingier. Very few things in my life have stayed consistent in terms of wants, and jewelry is no different.

That being said, once I reached a certain size I'd probably stop; from that point on it might be a difference in changing how it was set. If I wanted a completely different shape, I'd probably acquire it as a RHR instead of a replacement e-ring.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with Rhea about the boredom or changing your mind. I have reset my 2.2ct antique cushion three times. I may do it again in the future but I love the stone and don't need anything bigger or prettier, in fact sometimes this is too big. I think sometimes I would like a bit whiter but then come back to the reasonable world and my priorities. If money were no object I would not spend it on diamonds. LOL.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Like others, I get bored. Resetting can be very expensive IMO. If I had a huge jewelry only budget, honestly I'd branch out into really nice colored stones most likely. I've always wanted a real alexandrite, a nice emerald and a Kashmir sapphire.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Honestly my dream diamond ring is very reasonable, so if money was no object, I would get now, and let it get the patina of being worn and loved over time, which makes it even more special. Right now if I had extra funds after the modest ring, I would put them to becoming more financially independent versus "things", and also fixing up the house.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would get it now and then upgrade a rhr.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Forever ring. No question. The problem for me is knowing with certainty what that forever dream ring is.
And that doesn't mean there aren't fun bling projects along the way yanno? 8-)

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I honestly have no desire to get rid of my EC that I wear as a RHR for a bigger stone, as it has huge sentimental values.
DK :))

GreenPapaya

Brilliant_Rock
If I found the ring of my dreams and can comfortably afford it, I would buy it! Why would I wait? Like others have said, the ring of your dream now may change in a few years, months, perhaps days(?!). Just buy it and enjoy it now (assuming money is no object of course).

Luckily for my husband, I love my ring (although it needs a reset). If I had unlimited funds I will be eating lobsters, Maryland blue crabs, clams and Belgium chocolates every week! Okay, I'm already eating the chocolates, but the seafood:lickout:...Oh and scallops! And winters will be spent somewhere warm and not humid...(I'm getting pretty hungry dreaming lol)

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just don't think I would ever under any circumstances go above 2-2.5 carats.

So either/or. I could technically buy that now, but I'm happy with my 1.52 asscher.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would want a couple really beautiful rings. I have to agree with Rhea about boredom and also your preferences in stone shapes changing over time.

My husband has told me for years as long as I keep the same husband he has no problem with me changing rings.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have my dream engagement rings now. Actually one antique asscher ring and the other AVR diamond isn't in it's final setting yet. I prefer two diamonds in the two carat range over one 3.5+ ct diamond. I'd just rather have more than one diamond ring I can comfortably wear and enjoy rather than have one huge diamond that I'd feel weird wearing a bunch of places. If I did want a 5 ct stone, it would likely be an emerald cut, because I like that shape in large stones.

My husband is always generous and willing for me to get something I love, so I could upgrade if I wanted to. I'm just thankful to be content with what I have. (However, I do buy other jewelry!)

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
I have, over time, gathered a variety of lovely bands to pair with my e-ring and wedding band. My original e-ring will not be replaced. It is of good quality and still gets its share of compliments from random strangers - - ten years after the wedding. We chose the setting and the stone together, and it is highly sentimental to both of us.

If money was no object, a Cartier watch would be nice. ;)2

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would want a couple really beautiful rings. I have to agree with Rhea about boredom and also your preferences in stone shapes changing over time.

My husband has told me for years as long as I keep the same husband he has no problem with me changing rings.

You are a keeper Callie. Glad you also, found, yours.:))

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If money was no object I would have my current OEC e-ring but in a 2.5ct size right now. I don't think I would continue evolving upwards in size (never say never tho!) because where I live and in my social group, really big stones are just not a thing.
LH/Wedding set I'm not interested in changing or adding to (which is a surprise cos I originally thought I would be all about the wedding stack!) just the larger e-ring. But I would happily have a few other diamonds for RHR - rose-cut target ring, chubby oval, moi et toi, light brown/champagne OEC.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’d go for the forever ring! Do it right the first time and you won’t have to lose money on trade-up policies, etc.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Love this so much! :lol-2::D

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No upgrades - just more and more rings.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No. I've come to realise that it's the thrill of the chase. The looking and checking out diamonds and settings is the exciting part, and of course the waiting for the ring to arrive. Once you have it, the novelty soon wears off, and so it begins again.

If I had a 5ct diamond, I'd be too worried about wearing it, so it would sit in the safe, so what's the point of having it?

I'd rather have something of a decent size that I can wear regularly and enjoy.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
From a colored stone perspective, I'm a one and done. but I'm a one and done for now well over 20 times...lol

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IF money was no object I would not buy a honking white diamond.
I'd buy an FCD with color that honks, but only to those who hear. ;))

It'd be a GIA-graded fully natural 2 to 3 carat Octavia, VVS1 of one of the following colors:
Fancy Intense Blue (if on the saturated end)
Fancy Vivid Blue (if on the less-saturated end)
Fancy Vivid Green
Fancy Red

Last edited:

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know, lol. I too get bored easily, and go through all sorts of obsessions to keep myself entertained. First it was the hunt for my original e-ring. Then it was clothes. Then makeup. Then finding a heart-shaped diamond. Then making stuff in the Instant Pot. Then (list 10 other things here). Then my wife said she wants to show me how much she appreciates me and that she's going to upgrade my diamond. Then I started the diamond search obsession again. That said, I don't think I can go bigger without it being too much for day-to-day wear. I wouldn't mind a different wedding band if money were no object....

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If money were no object and I was just starting out diamond buying today, I would buy my dream ring off the bat. While dreaming and planning and scheming can be fun, it can also be annoying, disappointing and frustrating. Today's jewelry buyers have the advantage of the internet and some first rate diamond sellers. I would chose a top vendor with super ideal cut stones and buy from one of them. Once you had your dream ring, you could focus on other items - even if they were other jewelry items.

If money were an object, I would still go with the above even if I had to start out smaller than I wanted. I would then have a great upgrade policy with the freedom to upgrade to a larger super ideal cut stone at any time the money would allow.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If money were no object and I was just starting out diamond buying today, I would buy my dream ring off the bat. While dreaming and planning and scheming can be fun, it can also be annoying, disappointing and frustrating.

THIS!!!! You are so right @MissGotRocks

It can also be stressful and cause a lot of second guessing your decision. It's a lot of money and no one wants to make a mistake on a large purchase.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ya'nno, others have expressed it quite well. An "ideal" or "holy grail" may be a moving target. Years ago, I thought 3ct was HUGE!! I actually commented to a jeweller when someone was ordering a 4ct that a 4ct would be so "vulgar" (my exact word, yes, lol)!! Fast forward several years later, my ideal is now somewhere along the line of 7-8ct!! But I still prefer whiter diamonds, that hasn't changed.

And I still love EC's. That hasn't changed either.

So, if money were no object, I'd get the following:

- an 8ct superideal cut RB, D FL or IF
- a 10-12ct EC, Harry Winston, prob D IF too

And I'd get all kinds of designer jewellery too, VCA, Graff, HW, Cartier etc... I certainly would NOT wait.:dance::drool:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results