shape
carat
color
clarity

if there was a buy/sell classified forum on PS would you...

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
feel comfortable buying from other members?

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Re: if there was a buy/sell classified forum on PS would you

Yes, but I'd only feel comfortable buying from a select few.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock

Perhaps... But it would have to be someone I really "knew" and trusted. Having been here for almost 7 years, I have a sense of who is above board and who isn't.... ;))

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock

Yes, but I would expect scrupulous honesty. And, there would be a post limit for me personally. I wouldn't buy from anyone with less than a couple thousand posts.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade

I'd feel comfortable buying here, but, then, I feel comfortable shopping for jewelry second-hand in general (assuming decent return policies, etc.).

That said, if PS functioned like some other boards I've seen on that count - say, only allowing members with X number of relevant posts access to the sales section, I'd like it even more. I LOATHE it when places that are supposed to be for non-pros suddenly get swamped with ads for the same cheap crap I have to filter on eBay (am thinking of exboyfriendjewelry.com and idobutidont.com, or whatever they were called - the two "sell your breakup jewelry!" sites that made the news a few years ago). And I certainly don't want to encourage a slew of "+1!" posts, or any more of the bizarre content-free posts we've seen from shills trying not to look like shills recently ....

But, even so, I think it could be a very valuable addition to the PS community. I'd expect Audrey and co. to get a decent profit per listing/sale, of course - I'd rather they get my listing fee than eBay!

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock

It would change the dynamics of Pricescope.

Probably something like feedback (as on Ebay) and paypal would have to be set up and I'm sure there would still be issues because people would get burned adn then get mad at the administration, fairly or unfairly.

Buying from an individual is so different from buying from a company.

If you think about it--there really is no way to even tell that people are posting real diamonds on here--unless they have bought from a well-known vendor. there is a rule against posting faux. But how can you tell in photographs? When I look at the photos on the boards devoted to faux, even if you could tell in real life in the photos the 'diamonds' look no different than they do on here and they are often in Leon Mege and other very classy settings, too. The only way you know is that they are telling you that these are faux. A scammer could easily post photos of their H & A ring that they bought from a jeweler in their home town, let some time lapse and then offer said ring for sale--and it could turn out to be wellcut Cz in a great setting.

People come on Pricescope and 'feel' as if they've made friends and even meet outside of the boards (I would never do this but people do) and there just would be a lot of ramifications--I think it should be thought about very carefully.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock

Kaleigh|1303959034|2906773 said:
Perhaps... But it would have to be someone I really "knew" and trusted. Having been here for almost 7 years, I have a sense of who is above board and who isn't.... ;))

Ditto.

redfaerythinker

Brilliant_Rock

I would, from certain people. The fact of the matter is, PSers have been buying and selling amongst themselves via other websites for a long time, and it's worked out rather well. I've bought colored stones from a couple of PSers and I would do it again in a heartbeat. I don't see why it couldn't work as well on PS as it does on those other sites. JMHO

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock

If I recognized the poster, then yeah, I'd be ok with it.

For example, there are quite a few posters on CS that have been around a long time and have bought a lot of pieces (and we've seen them - the stones or finished products) - if any of them were selling, I'd feel ok buying from them because I "know" them.

If it's someone who is really new, created the account for the purpose of selling, etc. I might be wary.

On another forum I'm on (not jewelry) there is a Sales subsection but you can't even see it unless you have at least 10 posts.

Btw, if a sales forum was created, we would really HAVE to have PMs.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

B.E.G.|1303970075|2906869 said:
If I recognized the poster, then yeah, I'd be ok with it.

For example, there are quite a few posters on CS that have been around a long time and have bought a lot of pieces (and we've seen them - the stones or finished products) - if any of them were selling, I'd feel ok buying from them because I "know" them.

If it's someone who is really new, created the account for the purpose of selling, etc. I might be wary.

On another forum I'm on (not jewelry) there is a Sales subsection but you can't even see it unless you have at least 10 posts.

Btw, if a sales forum was created, we would really HAVE to have PMs.

That - and I confess, I'm not big on the PMs idea. The people who want to connect have found ways around it (and PS is even enabling it by hosting the GTG subforum 8)! I reckon there's just too much potential for abuse (by both vendors and consumers) on the information subforums - RT, CS.

I think a sales subsection would make for an - interesting - trial. If it was implemented I know that I would want the post limit to be more like 500/1k, and I would definitely want it to be limited to consumers - no small private vendors listing their inventories like on the other forum (again, I think too much potential for abuse). I trawl PS looking for SMTB/CS pics before I buy anything on the other forum anyway!

But... then again, the vast majority of PSers w/ 500+ posts already know about the other place. So why not just keep using what's already there and is working well for everyone?! The bigger thing on my wishlist is for linking to it be allowed on RT/CS - there are *real diamond* and gemstone deals to be had there, and there's no reason new consumers shouldn't benefit from that, in the same way that they can benefit from other secondary market/consignment places like certain eBay vendors' stores, OWD/JbEG/ Pearlman's...

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Yes, I would. But I would ask for proof of the original purchase, in order to avoid the small possibility of buying illicit diamonds. And only for the purpose of re-cutting.

Live long,

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock

I'm on the fence. It would be a good opportunity, but I can see it possibly causing bad feelings, arguments, etc., if somebody decides he or she has been faked out -- either from the buying or the selling aspect. Would hate to see the atmosphere around here harmed. Then again, maybe I'm too pessimistic & cautious?

--- Laurie

artdecogirl

Brilliant_Rock

I do not think I would like it, to me the other sites have a different feel to them. I used to post on one frequently and perused the sales area all the time cause I liked the format of the forum but it no longer has the more personal feel that I get from ps.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock

I think it'd be interesting. I agree it should be limited to consumers and there should be a minimum number of posts before you could list items.

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock

I would like it. I agree a min # of posts would be ideal and as a consumer, I would only buy from people I knew.

slg47

Ideal_Rock

if someone wanted to sell me a nice OEC, sure :)

but I agree it would change dynamics, and there are plenty of outlets for buying/selling/contacting members outside of PS.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock

I wouldn't. I don't know about the other forum that allows that, but I think it would change the dynamics too much to have a buy/sell forum on PS. The thing that attracted me to PS in the first place is the fact that it is populated with people who simply like to talk about diamonds and jewelry. (Among other things. :tongue: ) I think I would be turned off if it turned into a marketplace, as well.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock

I would! I think I've developed a nose for sniffing out a reliable sale, but I like the criteria that has been listed.

For me, I think I would endorse a minimum post count of 1000 before allowing someone to list. They could not be a Vendor or Tradesperson. I think there should be a flat fee for all completed transactions going directly to Pricescope as a way to keep out riff raff. And NO LINKS allowed in postings that redirect you to their "store" or the like.

I think there is a HUGE responsibility on the part of the BUYER to make sure the item and terms are agreeable before purchase. If you've agreed to the terms, you pretty much have to accept responsibility of the purchase.

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock

Just read Phoenix over on a thread talking about an experience she had selling to another Ps'er. It made me even more wary.

I just can't feel that I know/trust people that I only know through screen names and photos (and photos are so easily faked) enough to make major transaction with them involving hundreds or thousands of dollars, because I have been seeing their screen names for X # of years. there would have to be a whole lot of controls and protection for me. Sorry, i guess I'm paranoid but its how I am.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock

Black Jade|1304009703|2907096 said:
Just read Phoenix over on a thread talking about an experience she had selling to another Ps'er. It made me even more wary.

I just can't feel that I know/trust people that I only know through screen names and photos (and photos are so easily faked) enough to make major transaction with them involving hundreds or thousands of dollars, because I have been seeing their screen names for X # of years. there would have to be a whole lot of controls and protection for me. Sorry, i guess I'm paranoid but its how I am.
Though I'm very sorry for what Phoenix went through, I must say that her situation could have been completely avoided.

I would NEVER have sent something without payment having been received (with the very rare exception of it being someone I personally knew and had transacted with in advance)!! :shock: This is where I advocate some very specific terms being established before hand and mutually agreed to.

I must add that I have been involved in dozens of transactions at "The Site Which Cannot Be Named," both as a seller and as a buyer (I'm a rehabilitating jewelry project addict) and none have ever gone unresolved.

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Kaleigh|1303959034|2906773 said:
I'm with Kaleigh on this one ('cept having been here that long).

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock

I get that the dynamics would be changed, but I also don't really see what the big deal is by adding PMs or a sales subforum. I've definitely seen other forums that have these and do really well - it doesn't change the supportive or knowledge-imparting atmosphere, and I feel like many automatically assume that having these two things would make PS a worse place. : shrug : We're all adults, yes there have been some transactions that went bad on the jewelry buying/selling site we all know of, but at the same time, there's always two sides to every store (re: bad transactions) and taking precautions (what Uppy said) can avoid much of that.

And I actually don't really support adding a sales subforum on PS btw - considering how big the other site is (the one we use now) it seems fairly redundant so for simplicity reasons, I prefer keeping PS the way it is. But if such a forum and/or PMs were added, I don't think it'd be the end of the world.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock

I'm not sure if I'd do it. It would probably depend on how well I knew the person and how it would be set up.

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock

I guess those of us who don't know what the 'site which must not be named' is will have to stay forever in the dark.
I have to say, I'm getting very curious.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Black Jade|1304029661|2907387 said:
I guess those of us who don't know what the 'site which must not be named' is will have to stay forever in the dark.
I have to say, I'm getting very curious.
i have no idea of what site they are referring to .. :confused: anyway,IMO it would be nice to have a classified forum on PS.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock

tough call. I can see both sides of the fence. I think it might change the dynamic of the forum, and may even set PS up for a negative feel at times, if transactions go south. On the other hand, so many PSers are constantly finding great deals, and then selling them when they find something else they prefer, and it would be nice to be able to sell amongst other PS fans....

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock

Enable.... enable..... enable....... :praise:

Lula

Ideal_Rock

I've both bought and sold things on "The Site that Shall Not be Named," and feel safer buying and selling there than I do on ebay these days. And I'd much rather buy stones/jewelry from fellow jewelry lovers. It's more fun, and they can usually tell you a lot more about a particular piece than some random ebayer who sells everything from car parts to toilet seats. So I'd be interested in a well-controlled sales forum.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results