shape
carat
color
clarity

If I knew then what I know now...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
To follow up on Deco''s thread...

What pieces have you bought that you''ve come to regret buying? And what did you do about it?

I re-shanked, instead of resetting, the seven stone band my mother gave me. But the setting is still really uncomfortable. So... I''m going to end up (a year later) getting it re-set pretty soon anyway. Because it''s so scratchy and sharp.

I didn''t get FMIL''s baguette eternity fixed (some lost stones)... now I''m thinking it''s a good thing. Because I''m probably gonna want to re-set that sucker, instead of just fixing it in it''s original setting, too.

Oh, I wanted a concave cut gemstone. And bought one before I knew anything about gemstones and ended getting a WAY THE HECK too dark garnet one. So... paid too much, and am now not likely to ever get it set.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
I wouldn''t buy (or sell) anything without giving myself a one month waiting period AFTER making a decision.

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
When we upgraded my e-ring, I chose a princess cut. It''s a beauty as far as princesses go, but

* We bought from Blue Nile which probably charged too much, has no tradeup policy and we paid 8k+ extra for a custom setting in yg and platinum
7.gif

* Now I much prefer white gold/palladium/platinum, but wonder whether I should spend $$$ on a new setting for a stone whose style is no longer my favourite

* All of this took place before I found PS where there''s a wealth of knowledge on all shapes. Luckily, I had the stone independently appraised and it showed a better colour grading than the one BN appraisers gave it. That''s the only positive to come from this.

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/18/2009 7:21:41 PM
Author:Gypsy
To follow up on Deco''s thread...

What pieces have you bought that you''ve come to regret buying? And what did you do about it?

I re-shanked, instead of resetting, the seven stone band my mother gave me. But the setting is still really uncomfortable. So... I''m going to end up (a year later) getting it re-set pretty soon anyway. Because it''s so scratchy and sharp.

I didn''t get FMIL''s baguette eternity fixed (some lost stones)... now I''m thinking it''s a good thing. Because I''m probably gonna want to re-set that sucker, instead of just fixing it in it''s original setting, too.

Oh, I wanted a concave cut gemstone. And bought one before I knew anything about gemstones and ended getting a WAY THE HECK too dark garnet one. So... paid too much, and am now not likely to ever get it set.
Just a sec here, you got MIL''s baguette ring??? I thought it was destined to go to her daughter who doesn''t care that much about jewellery. As I recall, there was talk of buying out SIL...Am I way out in left field on this (a definite possibility)?
33.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Baguette eternity wedding band. That''s the one that''s mine.

NOT the transitional center stone e-ring with tapered baguette sidestones.

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/18/2009 8:14:44 PM
Author: Gypsy
Baguette eternity wedding band. That''s the one that''s mine.

NOT the transitional center stone e-ring with tapered baguette sidestones.
Ah!! So I was mistaken -- so sorry
14.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would have never let my parents sell my grandmothers 2.2 M OEC in it''s original platinum setting for only $3500
39.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well for my asscher RHR, I would now go with a simple bezel type setting instead of the detailed micro pave I went with. This ring is gorgeous. BUT comes with major headaches. Lose a stone here and there, you get the picture....
20.gif
15.gif
And I baby the heck out of it, barely even wear it... Not fun at all.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well I wouldn''t have bought my Cartier rolling ring because now I''m over it and I never wear it. But it''s no biggie-I can probably sell it on eBay for the same amount I paid for it!

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
If I had found PS before buying my ring... I may have gotten the "champage" rings from WF as my wedding set...
30.gif

ALTHOUGH, then I would have had to go with a much smaller center stone (my setting cost less than $300!) and I wouldn''t have been able to use my "one year dating anniversary ring" as my wedding band, it just wouldn''t have gone together.

The other thing is, I wouldn''t have bought that crooked LOGR setting. It was pretty cheap, but still, it was just money down the drain.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, I've regretted buying a bunch:

- my yellow and cognac bracelet (I'm not really a bracelet person and the diamonds are not very well cut and clarity a bit horrible)
- my Lazare cluster flower earrings (too insubstantial and not very comfortable to wear, though very blingy)
- yellow diamond and red garnet dangly earrings (not really my style and diamonds are a bit too small and not sparkly enough)
- halo'ed red garnet pendant (the setting is horrible, the claws are huge and the pendant tends to hang to the side instead of straight)
- a few smaller earrings (too small for my taste, so I've ended up giving these to my nieces)
- 3-stone journey pendant (too small and too "irregular")

Not much I can do about any of these, because I bought from local B&M stores and they don't accept refund, exchange or upgrade!
7.gif
I've really learnt a hard lesson or two there. I think I'll probably end up giving most if not all of these to my nieces.

I've not really regretted purchasing my ACA studs, only wish I'd gone for J (instead of K) and bigger (4cttw instead of 3.444cttw). Having real trouble upgrading (not much stock), even if hubby was willing to let me spend some more $$$!
8.gif

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Well, if I could do it over again, my e-ring stone would have been from a place I wanted to go back to for an upgrade (i.e. Whiteflash or GOG) rather than a B&M, and I would have gone for a lower color/larger size. But I do love my wedding set the way it is now, and will most likely upgrade from one of those vendors in the future, just by buying a whole new stone and then probably putting a colored stone in my original e-ring setting. So even though I would have done things differently I don''t have regrets, per se, and it certainly doesn''t upset me on a regular basis.

Honestly, I don''t think I''ve bought enough pieces to really have a ton of regrets - my other things, the ACA studs, flower cluster pendant, and tsav+diamond RHR, I love them all as well, and that''s pretty much the only "real" jewelry I have.
9.gif

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/18/2009 10:45:08 PM
Author: Kaleigh
Well for my asscher RHR, I would now go with a simple bezel type setting instead of the detailed micro pave I went with. This ring is gorgeous. BUT comes with major headaches. Lose a stone here and there, you get the picture....
20.gif
15.gif
Oh. you asscher is so gorgeous. Have you thought about re-setting it and putting a gemstone in the leon setting? I think your asscher would look amazing in the bezel.

I personally haven''t bought enough jewelry to regret anything! I got my solitaire setting for my asscher thinking it would be temporary but I love it now more than when I got it. I wear it with a Ritani micropave wedding band and it is just enough bling for me and I love that it isn''t too matchy. If I hadn''t found PS I would have gotten a princess cut though, and I know I would have regretted it. Then I was wanting to do a micro pave halo a la Kaleigh''s asscher but for daily wear I prob would have regretted it (I am so clumsy!). I still think it is gorgeous but I am glad DH vetoed it and we went with the solitaire.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/18/2009 8:46:49 PM
Author: mrssalvo
I would have never let my parents sell my grandmothers 2.2 M OEC in it''s original platinum setting for only $3500
39.gif

oh gosh!
6.gif

alli_esq

Brilliant_Rock
I would have INSISTED that my FI go through good old gold or some other PS vendor to get my stone instead of entrusting him to go to the Diamond District with my mother to get a stone I''m 80% sure is not really what they claim it is, and for which he almost certainly overpaid.

I''m not bitter...really...

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
20.gif
15.gif
Can''t you switch the setting to a bezel so you can wear the ring. I''m not sure if I ever saw a photo of your ring. . .what size is the center stone?

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
There''s nothing I regret buying since joining PS. Before any purchase, I think about it for awhile, and actually, I''ve only purchased a few items because I''ve always some to realize that although I love diamonds, other material goods (like clothes) are my obsession.

Only regret I have is spending money on having my mom''s eng. diamond set into a custom crafted platinum setting that I''ve never worn. Oh, actually, I''ve worn it about 10-20 times.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Um. Two loose gemstone purchases. I need to really think about selling them or maybe trying to trade them in for other jewelry items. Perhaps I should be doing that right now. Hmmm...

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/19/2009 1:37:42 PM
Author: MC

20.gif
15.gif
Can''t you switch the setting to a bezel so you can wear the ring. I''m not sure if I ever saw a photo of your ring. . .what size is the center stone?
It''s .92 but faces up bigger. The setting is very involved, would hate to dismantle it. It''s not by Leon, rather by Quest. It''s 3 sided pave, very pretty just not practicle.

Oh mrsS, I am so sorry your grandmother''s ring was sold. That''s a shame.
39.gif

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I knew it then but I did it anyway: I had my Royal Asscher put into a very elaborate (for me) setting by Eli. I often think I should have had it set by itself, but what's done is done. If the pave or tension-set stones start getting loose, I'll have the Royal Asscher re-set by itself.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results