shape
carat
color
clarity

IF Clarity Diamond Unanswered Question?

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Is that why there is another grade above that? Flawless or FL isn't it? So those are the stones that are indeed totally flawless? Sorry - I always did wonder about this.

Yes, there is IF (which can have certain minor blemishes as @distracts has referenced above), and then there is F. That means that the stone - at 10x - has no internal inclusions nor external (however, I do recall that a stone can have an extra facet on the pavilion and still get a Flawless grade). And, as referenced here above, to be given that grade, the stone is put under extreme scrutiny. Getting it “right” means the difference of huge dollar amounts (HUGE) and this is what it’s all about if you work in any capacity in this industry, starting from the mining of the stone all the way down to the jeweler selling it to the customer, and every person who handles that stone in between. That’s why, quite often, a cutter may receive an IF and then send it back to the Lab for re-grading because the difference in revenue is significant. These are considered the “special stones” (not that they all aren’t special to us, of course, because they are ours!), but the cutter knows it is a special stone when they purchase and evaluate the rough (and they’ve paid dearly for that rough, it is extremely expensive). The margins on diamonds is quite low, in spite of how much it costs for us, the consumer. Anyhow, back to grading... a “Potential”, a stone that is a candidate for a Flawless grade, is not like grading a VS, as example. (Even on a VVS, to see a tiny pinpoint is very difficult.) Often, with these “special stones”, they will be returned to the cutter with a designation as a “Potential” which means that in the current way it was when submitted, the lab gave it an IF, but if the cutter wants to make a specific modification it would get a Flawless on a re-submission (assuming nothing goes awry). Similarly, certain stones that are initially graded as VVS1 can be returned from the lab to the cutter as being deemed “Improvable” where if the cutter makes specific polishing modifications the stone could be graded IF. It is up to the cutter in consort with the owner of the stone if they want to make these modifications as in doing so will affect carat weight and carat weight = value = $. Yet, obviously going from VVS1 to IF, and IF to F also = value =
$$$!!! As an FYI, there’s a little lingo about this... a stone in possible contention for receiving a Flawless upon resubmission after modification is referred to as a “Pot” or a “Not”, as in it’s either a “Potential” or its not lol, IF would be the highest grade that particular stone could get. Also, remember that a stone that gets IF or F is not necessarily free of clarity characteristics in total... we are talking about at 10x. You may be able to see the tiniest of pinpoints at, say, 40 power on the microscope, but if it isn’t there when you turn the knob back down to 10x it “isn’t there” as far as grading is concerned.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@headlight

Just curious, your training is a lot more recent than mine was.

Back in 1987 when I did my GIA Diamond Grading class we were told to plot blemishes in green and inclusions in red and were provided pens to do so. Is that no longer the case for blemishes?

20200118_111203.jpg

headlight

Ideal_Rock
@headlight

Just curious, your training is a lot more recent than mine.

Back in 1987 when I did my GIA Diamond Grading class we were told to plot blemishes in green and inclusions in red and were provided pens to do so. Is that no longer the case for blemishes?

20200118_111203.jpg

Hi! Wow, I wish I had gone to GIA in 1987 when I graduated college (but, instead, went on to get a graduate degree which has done nothing for me short of being able to say I have a graduate degree lol!) and then my life went in a diff direction so I am now finally pursuing something of great interest to me over decades! Anyhow, in answer to your question, YES, the plotting with the colored pens still is the procedure, and you see it all the time when people give us links to the lab reports of the stones they are considering purchasing. However, the sheet you have has definitely been changed a little. And, as you know, blemishes only play into the final grade when it is a call between F and IF. But yes, still plotting generally as you did in '87... I particularly liked getting a stone with a cavity, for example, so I could use both pens lol! Here is more recent info:
Screen Shot 2020-01-18 at 11.33.36 AM.png Screen Shot 2020-01-18 at 11.34.32 AM.png

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, there is IF (which can have certain minor blemishes as @distracts has referenced above), and then there is F. That means that the stone - at 10x - has no internal inclusions nor external (however, I do recall that a stone can have an extra facet on the pavilion and still get a Flawless grade)...

Thank so much for the info. Man, these chunks of carbon are fascinating :D

mtruong

Rough_Rock
Thank you for all helpful information! I will send the stone to GIA for verification

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results