shape
carat
color
clarity

If a stranger ask you...how big is that diamond on your finger? Is it real?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How would you react?

Reactions: AV_

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If it's a woman asking, you could point at her breasts and ask how big they are and if they are real ;-)

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'd probably say it was fake. It doesn't seem like a good idea to let a stranger know you're wearing something valuable.
If I was wearing my diamond rings I would say it was fake. If I was wearing my moissy I would also say it’s a fake...I agree it also would depend on who the stranger is...

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Yes.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
realandspectacular.gif

Substitute they're for it and we are in business. :wink2:

In real life? I would just say thank you and keep on moving depending where we were. Ignore if I felt it was safe to do so, answer if I felt it was safe to do so or lie if I felt it was the safest thing to do.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I’ve been known for dashing towards someone with wonderful bling on their finger..but it’s to get a closer look and gush over it. I’ve never asked if it was real....That would be very tacky unless we were good friends..and I still wouldn’t ask.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Depending on the person, location and environment etc...

I will not say yes to any request to try it on from a complete stranger for certain.

DK :))

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Depending on the person, location and environment etc...

I will not say yes to any request to try it on from a complete stranger for certain.

DK :))
Omg..Who would ask to try it on other than a friend! That would be huge red flag to me! :snooty:

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I usually deflect the question especially if it is a stranger. My husband gets compliments from friends/family for a "job well done" which makes me laugh since I did most of the searching.:mrgreen2:

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've had the desk girl at hairdressers ask, and been in shops and girls look at my OEC and say OMG is that real, and I explain it's an Antique diamond they usually want me to hold out my hand and look at it. Most of the time people don't even notice it because I dress like a baglady in my day to day life (ie supermarket, school pickups etc) unless I'm specifically going to something (like out to dinner, movies, or some type of event).

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The only people who have asked size were young sales people.

I’ve had women ask to see my ring. Halo’s attract a lot of attention.

Crazie4Cuts

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
‘Not big enough.’ Highly unlikely, since I got it out of a gum ball machine.
- C4C

anangel

Brilliant_Rock
I usually quip, “Not as big as my mother in law’s”. Which is probably true, I know her diamond is real, just never had the nerve to ask size.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No stranger has ever asked me that question. My first instinct is to turn my back to them and walk away. A rare family member has asked as a joke. They know better than to question whether I would wear real diamonds. It's no fun to ask someone point blank. It's much better to gossip behind their back about it.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve been told my diamond can’t be really because
1. Diamonds don’t come that big (it’s 4.35)
2. Diamonds don’t come in that shape (it’s an emerald cut)
Sigh
But many people have made nice comments including the young woman who took about a dozen photos to show to her boyfriend :lol-2:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve been told my diamond can’t be really because
1. Diamonds don’t come that big (it’s 4.35)
2. Diamonds don’t come in that shape (it’s an emerald cut)
Sigh
But many people have made nice comments including the young woman who took about a dozen photos to show to her boyfriend :lol-2:
I hope she have a rich bf! ...:lol:

Rubymal

Shiny_Rock
No one has ever asked how big the size is, but I have had people comment and say, "Wow, that's a boulder!"

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I was at Trader Joe's yesterday when a lady complimented my solitaire necklace, proceeded to ask "how big is it??" I was so stunned I just blurted out the exact carat weight of 1.12ct! Then she said, no wonder it had such presence! She said she had to tell her husband she needed a solitaire pendant >1ct......

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was at Trader Joe's yesterday when a lady complimented my solitaire necklace, proceeded to ask "how big is it??" I was so stunned I just blurted out the exact carat weight of 1.12ct! Then she said, no wonder it had such presence! She said she had to tell her husband she needed a solitaire pendant >1ct......

I think in that situation…in Trader Joe’s..I would have also answered the question if I thought she was safe.…If someone asked me if it was real…that’s a different story.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've had co-workers ask me on many occasions if my diamonds were real. I would always say "Of course!"
I'm sure that this contributed to some of them asking me for loans......

vintageinjune

Brilliant_Rock
Somewhat situational, but for the most part I tell it like it is!

Oh this ring? Moissanite, X carats. This other ring? Diamond, X carats. Earrings? Diamonds, X carats.

I'm also weird and in most situations let people try my rings on too (if they can, little size 4 fingers!) because I'm all about sharing that love of bling.

Is it a little tactless for people to ask most of the time? Probably, but honestly, for the most part my experience is that people are just genuinely curious and don't mean any harm.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't wear diamonds on my hands, but I've heard a few stage whispers about my earrings not being real because they look so big.

They're not that big honestly (1.23tcw) Its just that my ear lobes are small.

I have been asked about the rings on my hands before. Only a few have asked if they were real. I asked them what they thought they were....lol

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lol I had this happen a lot where I used to work, including asking how much it cost. I worked as a nurse and a lot of my coworkers were Asian immigrants. I dont believe they were being rude, they were just blunt and that was part of the culture. They also told me "You're the only white nurse who isn't fat". And then my favorite, "This is doberman. Can't you tell how beautiful she must have been when she was young. Do you have any pictures?" Seriously, they were really great people to have as coworkers and I'm still in touch with some of them.

Anyway, my standard response to is it real: No, it's a hologram. Or: Do I look like someone who would wear a fake?

How much did it cost: Too much. Or: One arm and one leg.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results