shape
carat
color
clarity

Identify Inherited ring.

HwT

Rough_Rock
Hello,
I got this old ring, i have no information about it other than it is at least 10 years old.
I had some trouble uploading images here, so i made a imgur album: https://imgur.com/a/bwhCI
Could you please help with some more information about it? It would also be nice to know much its worth(if any i'm assuming?)

HwT

Rough_Rock
Here is the pictures, (imgur blocked?)

img_20160515_194033.jpg

img_20160515_194051.jpg

img_20160515_194128.jpg

img_20160515_194206.jpg

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's a pin (brooch), not a ring. Are the circles on the outside metal?

HwT

Rough_Rock
Yes the rings outside are of some kind of metal(gold i think)

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are several factors that go into what a piece might sell for -

• the value of the materials used to make it
    the quality of the workmanship
    it's provenance - who made it, if it has a particularly interesting or desirable history
    the desireability of the design
    and what someone is willing to pay for it. I know that seems like a "duh," but it includes the marketing (how many people see it, and who) and the market for pieces like this, etc.

You haven't mentioned whether the piece has a hallmark or metal purity stamp, such as 14k (14 carat gold) or .925 (92.5% silver.) Most pieces made of a precious will have some sort of hallmark, if only "14k". You haven't mentioned such a stamp. The lack of such a stamp doesn't rule out a precious metal, but it makes it far less likely that the piece is in fact made of gold. A jeweler or reputable pawn shop should be able to tell you if it is in fact gold, and should be able to test it to determine the purity if it is gold. (The other possibilities are brass or some "mystery metal," or gold plated silver.) They should also be able to tell you if the center stone is a precious stone (i.e., sapphire) or semi-precious (i.e., zircon or topaz) or manufactured, i.e. glass. Most will give you their opinions for free, but will charge you for these tests. You can also take it to an appraiser for this testing, but that will cost more.

To be honest, I think the workmanship argues against this piece being made of a precious metal. From the pictures, it looks like the welds between the circles are visible and possibly covered with a decorative plating, but you have the piece in hand so are in a better position to see that, and although that argues against a precious metal, it also doesn't rule it out. You also haven't mentioned a makers mark or "signature," and pins (particularly small pins) are not really in vogue right now. So... I suspect this piece will be more valuable as an heirloom, as a memento of someone dear to you, than it might be on the market. If you like the design but don't see yourself wearing it as a pin, consider having it made into a ring, pendant, or bracelet.

HwT

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the long and thorough reply!
The backside of the pin(one of the rings) shows a stamp, witch i'm not able to read properly. I think there is a 585 stamp(14 carat?) And the maker stamp witch is unreadable.
I agree that it has more worth for the sentimental value. Also what stone do you think it is?

2016-05-17_19_01_57-img_20160515_194206.jpg

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It has a purity (fineness) stamp and makers mark? Why didn't you say so in the first place? :doh:

585 does most likely indicate 14k gold. The lack of more formal assay marks rules out a number of countries that adhere to an assay convention ( https://theassayoffice.co.uk/help-with-hallmarks/international-convention-marks ). The US is not one of those countries so it's a possible country of origin for your pin. One good online source of inf for US makers marks is Lang Antiques's "university". BTW if it is US made, I think the use of 585 rather than 14k might help you date the pin - but I'm not sure, and since I'm without a computer for a few days I'll leave that bit of research to you. As to the stone, it's hard to ID most gemstones even from a good photo, but a good jeweler would probably be willing to hazard a guess for you. You might also try asking the folks in the colored stones forum.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lang's Antiques has a video university and one of the episodes goes over pin backs and how they close. That may help date your pin.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
To me it looks circa 1960 or 1970. Being in 14kt gold you might assume it's a gem. Colour wise it could be aquamarine or blue topaz. Because brooches are not very fashionable these days you could quite easily at a loop and wear it as a pendant (you can keep the pin fitting on or have a jeweller remove it).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results