shape
carat
color
clarity

Ideas on refining hopefully well thought-out proposal

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

JimDiamond

Shiny_Rock
My current plan is to propose to my girlfriend at the Huntington Library and Gardens in San Marino (surrounded by Pasadena, CA). They have 150 acres of picturesque botanical gardens. (www.huntington.org if you want to check it out). I think a more private proposal would be preferred by both of us so I found about "evenings for members". For only $50 more than a one-day admission we can come back as many times as we like for a year, but more importantly we can go in the evening from 5pm - 8pm on July 10th. There should be far fewer people there and we would be able to stroll and sit admiring the beauty in relative seclusion.

I plan to bring a small album (A really good album could take months to create so my goal is to make it more touching than elaborate.) The album would include pictures of us, images and words that reflect who she is, who I am and who we are, as well as some sentimental artifacts, letters, at least one poem (that I got from this forum) and finally on the last page words to the effect of "Will you marry me...?".

When the mood seems right, perhaps after we have been sitting and talking for a while enjoying the scenery, I plan to take out the "album" which we can then go through. That should enhance the romantic mood for us both. The last page will give her the main event at which point I will do the oral proposal myself and present the ring (A 1ct., H&A, F-color, SI1 stone set in a platinum setting with diamond accent stones since I know most of us here are diamond afficianados).

Here are some questions I hope you can help me with:

- Should I plan anything special for after? She''s very close to her family and still lives at home even though she''s 26 (a cultural thing too). I don''t know if I should try to plan anything after because she may want to go home within a couple of hours after the realization sinks in to share the news with her parents.

- It''s not possible to "picnic", so I was thinking of taking her to eat beforehand because otherwise she may well be hungry by 6 or 7 and want to leave. They do have a cafe, but I don''t know much about it or even if it''ll be open in the evening. What might be good to do after if she still feels like going out? (Which I don''t think is likely, but I want to have a plan.)

- Would it be overkill to put the ring box on a small platter decorated with petals or small flowers or some such? I could glue things down and put it in a box. It would not be shocking for me to carry a box with a gift in it for her.

- Can you forsee anythings that I might not have thought of yet? (I don''t think I can hide the album. I''ll just have it in a bag and admit that I want to show it to her.) She''s expecting a proposal, but not for 3 months or more at least so it shouldn''t raise any suspicions.

researcher

Ideal_Rock
The Huntington Gardens are BEAUTIFUL--do you know what area you'll propose at?

If she's close to her family, one nice thing would be to have them meet you for dinner in Pasadena. There are so many great restaurants there to choose from, and it would be great for her to be able to share her news with her family (and yours if possible) and show off her ring! Then, if she’s up for it, the two of you can go get coffee or something on your own to have a little more time together.

As for the platter, I think the ring box will be PLENTY! Let simplicity rule....

JimDiamond

Shiny_Rock
I've been to the Huntington several times, but I don't know it well enough to pick a location for sure. Even if I did, I think I will need to play it by ear depending upon where there are not too many people, where there is a nice bench and where the mood takes us. If I had my choice I'd say the rose gardens with their beautiful walkways and trellices or overlooking the Japanese garden.

researcher

Ideal_Rock
That's my favorite place (rose garden)! Most girls would probably say the same thing though. Although I don't remember a bench in the area, I also LOVE the bridge by the Japanese Garden. Isn't there also a Jungle Garden or something with small waterfalls (I haven't been in a few years so my memories are a bit cloudy)? There are so many great places you really can't go wrong!

Good luck!

carrieq

Rough_Rock
I absolutely LOVE your idea. So sweet, sentimental, and thoughtful. What a great story to share with your grandkids one day. It such a great idea It's hard for me to give advice, you seem to have it all down.

Now, here are my thoughts on your questions:

1) Sure plan something for after so you don't just walk away thinking, now what do we do?. A few ideas: make reservations somewhere (you can always cancel). Browse for wedding bands. Plan to go see her family and share the news (or at least give her this option whatever you do). Go home, have champange ready and with some roses and spend time together. Watch the sunset. Dance the night away (salsa? soemthing fun, upbeat, and memorable) However you are much more creative than me...I'm sure you can think of something.

2) Eating before or afterwards...either way. You're right she might get hungry if you don't eat first and stumble up your plans. On the other hand, you could always bring a snack.

3) I agree witht he last reply...simple is best. Nice ring box.

4) NO! - You've thought of it all. Just remember, be flexible, things don't always go as planned. What's important is that you love eachother and that you at least ask!

JimDiamond

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the reply Carrie! That was helpful. Tomorrow is the day!

carrieq

Rough_Rock
HOORAY! Good luck and let us know how it goes...if you don't mind. What a lucky girl your soon-to-be-fiance is.

JimDiamond

Shiny_Rock
SHE SAID YES!!!

I'll post the details in a new topic entitled, "SHE SAID YES!!!"

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results