shape
carat
color
clarity

Ideal with excellent specs vs blue Nile sig ideal PLS HELP

qui499kyl

Shiny_Rock
Help me choose between these two stones.

One is signature ideal, which after having a "diamond expert" at blue Nile explain is just a stone guaranteed ideal because blue Nile cut it in house (and she said herself there are other diamonds in their inventory that could be signature ideal grade just not rated as such bc they didn't cut it).

1.57ct Ideal, H, VS2
Only inclusion is a pinpoint and one small crystal
61.9% depth
56% table
Gia triple Ex
Med to slightly thick girdle faceted 3.5%
Medium Fluoro
7.46x7.48x4.62
34.5/40.8 CA/PA
Lw ratio 1.00
HCA = 1.3 within TIC range
55 star, 75 Lower half
GIA #6215290235
$10,827

OR
1.34 BN Signature Ideal, H, VS1
Pinpoint inclusion
61.8% table
57% table
GIA triple ex
Med to slightly thick girdle, faceted, 3.5%
Medium Fluoro
7.06x7.02x4.35
Very Small Culet
35.5 CA/40.6 PA
Lw ratio: 1.01
HCA = 0.8 within TIC range
GIA #1198717916
$10.437

Would you feel comfortable buying diamond 1 (assuming you're comfortable buying from BN at all) based on those specs? I want her to have a sizable stone. She's size 4.25 ring

Thank you, sorry for my million questions I just want some expert opinions!! Thanks again

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Ideal with excellent specs vs blue Nile sig ideal PLS HE

Would you feel comfortable buying diamond 1 (assuming you're comfortable buying from BN at all) based on those specs?
Yes. I can always return if I don't like it. Plus, the numbers look good

RLS250293

Rough_Rock

After spending quite a while researching a lot about diamonds.. (I'm no way an expert) but hope i can offer some advice..
So, it's clear that they are both exceptional diamonds, and put side by side, would no way be able to be distinguished, apart from the sight size difference, which as i can see from what you have written, that, next to the cut, the size is what is most important. Especially on a slender finger size of 4.5, these two sizes look and sit perfectly (in my opinion) any larger can look over-powering.
All of the statistics are within the 'prime' range, this is clearly reflected in the price, and as you mentioned, a diamond cut by blue nile, will be classified as signature ideal, (why would they cut anything less!) and of course they want to promote there own, so there is definitely a degree of truth in what you say about the ideal cut, (the externally cut diamond) and the signature ideal cut by blue nile themselves. However, even if these were both cut externally, therefore, a non biased opinion, any cut above excellent, to the untrained eye is going to look just as good, combined with the thickness of the girdle, no of facets, will all very very slightly change the apprentice but only to the trained eye anyway.

So, all in all, go for the externally cut diamond of 1.5cts, not because of the size alone, but because of all said above.

As a side note, with a dainty finger size and a nicely sized diamond such as the one being discussed, always go for a tapered band style or a thinner than average band as it makes the diamond appear bigger (which looks bigger anyway because of the small finger size).

Hope this helps, and she'll love it!!

qui499kyl

Shiny_Rock

Any other thoughts?

I called Blue Nile today just to ask if there was something about the 1.57 diamond I was missing, because it is honestly a very good price for that stone. They said no, it looks like an excellent stone with nothing weird on the GIA report - the man who I spoke with has worked there for 16 years, and he said that BN doesn't price based on quality, they price based on how much they acquire the stone for - so if they get a deal, the customer gets a deal based on pre-set mark-up values. So I guess that's why I was able to find such an excellent 1.57 ct stone for under 12,000 - I am still a tad skeptical, but I won't know until it's here on the 22nd! Would you guys recommend going to get it appraised elsewhere and then sending back to BN if there's something less than ideal? Can they appraise if it's already in a setting?

Thanks again!

solgen

Brilliant_Rock

qui499kyl|1450125082|3961377 said:
Any other thoughts?

I called Blue Nile today just to ask if there was something about the 1.57 diamond I was missing, because it is honestly a very good price for that stone. They said no, it looks like an excellent stone with nothing weird on the GIA report - the man who I spoke with has worked there for 16 years, and he said that BN doesn't price based on quality, they price based on how much they acquire the stone for - so if they get a deal, the customer gets a deal based on pre-set mark-up values. So I guess that's why I was able to find such an excellent 1.57 ct stone for under 12,000 - I am still a tad skeptical, but I won't know until it's here on the 22nd! Would you guys recommend going to get it appraised elsewhere and then sending back to BN if there's something less than ideal? Can they appraise if it's already in a setting?

Thanks again!

Proper appraisal should be done with a loose stone. The setting could even hide an inclusion so you'll typically get a range for color or clarity since the setting can have some effect or just make it more difficult to assess.

I would check to make sure the medium blue doesn't have any haziness but it probably doesn't. I personally like the combo of the pa/ca and table so I would choose it over the other.

The setting is nice but I'd prefer a 6 prong eagle claw setting. Price isn't that great as I know that I could get a custom plat setting for around the same.

qui499kyl

Shiny_Rock

Thanks!! I didn't know it had an exceptional ca/pa measurement. That's great! Do you think a 6 prong will show more light through the diamond? Will diamond look larger with a 6 prong? I was concerned it would be too much metal - this one has a small pink sapphire on the inside of the band apparently. Kind of cool

everstone

Rough_Rock

I have a 6 prong. I think 6 prong makes the diamond look larger and more circular and no it won't be too much metal.

qui499kyl

Shiny_Rock

Is it weird some part of me is skeptical I got that carat weight at those specs for $10,800??? I'm so terrified it's going to be flawed somehow ... Maybe the medium Fluoro is cloudy??

guynextdoor

Rough_Rock

Dude, you are about to make one of the most important decisions of your life and you are "terrified" that's a piece of carbon $10,000 is somehow "flawed"? Seriously, great looking diamond, great find! I'd just chill and enjoy the moment! :)

qui499kyl

Shiny_Rock

Sorry.. Yeah, a little carried away I guess.. Just worried it might have a black spot or something weird on a VS2. I got blue Nile to obtain images from the supplier - hopefully all is well!

solgen

Brilliant_Rock

qui499kyl|1450142660|3961502 said:
Is it weird some part of me is skeptical I got that carat weight at those specs for $10,800??? I'm so terrified it's going to be flawed somehow ... Maybe the medium Fluoro is cloudy??

Even if that were the case which should be extremely rare in a med fluor stone it would only be under certain lighting conditions. Like under direct sunlight and most stones don't look good in direct sunlight anyways. $10k isn't an insignificant amount of money so your concern is understandable. However it should be a nice diamond from what can be gathered.

I understand the convenience factor of choosing the BN setting but you can get more for your money elsewhere. I like the 6 prong designs as they tend to be smaller and give the stone a more rounded shape. The four prong settings draw your eyes to the corners so to speak and can make the diamond appear smaller. At least that's my perception though yours may differ entirely.

swt515

Rough_Rock

Did you end up purchasing the stone from Blue Nile?
I've been looking at two comparable stones from Blue Nile and am interested in your experience.
Thank you!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results