shape
carat
color
clarity

Ideal-scope, worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

homer_j

Shiny_Rock
Is it worth shelling out the $25 for an ideal-scope? Just want to get some feedback from you guys.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
YES.

It's $25 and you are spending what on a stone? $1k? $5k? $10k? $20k? Get it! It's fun to take into stores too and whip it out to look at stones. You really want to see jewelers freak out and start telling the truth? The IS will do it.

It takes some practice to learn to use it well, so order the $6 calibration CZ stone in order to practice at home. Otherwise you'll spend like 45 min at the jeweler fumbling around with it, which will NOT impress them
2.gif

We sent one to my jeweler after we purchased, so now they can have the fun playing with it too. Maybe it will ensure top stone quality for us on our next purchase...hee hee.

homer_j

Shiny_Rock
How does it perform with fancy cuts?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
From what I have seen, very well. As well as with a RB. Look at GoodOldGold's site, they use something similar (Firescope?) to post images of their fancies. The IS will measure the light return and leakage for any stone, so it should not matter if its RB or fancy. However you WILL see differences in a RB ideal cut and a fancy, as fancies in general will leak more light than a RB. So if you see the CZ ideal and then see a fancy under the IS, know they will most likely not look remotely similar in the amount of light return.

homer_j

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the info.

JustLooking

Rough_Rock
with the ideal scope, if you look through it and you see arrows, does that mean the diamond is a H&A?

Jimmy

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
If you see really good arrows - symmetrical - then it is very likely maybe 70-100%.

More interesting is that if a diamond has really great H&A's it can be just average looking and performing. But if it is great thru the IS, then it will be a great performer too
1.gif

JustLooking

Rough_Rock
I might have to buy me one of these even though I've already bought my diamond. After I bought the diamond I was told by AffordableDiamondOnline that it was a H&A so it was a bonus for me. But they didn't have anything to back up that claim. Maybe with the Ideal Scope I can check.
1.gif

Jimmy

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results