shape
carat
color
clarity

Idea for STD...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Mandarine

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/13/2007 5:16:16 PM
Author: oshinbreez
I was thinking what about a more formal invitation with castanets tied on a ribbon from the corner. I found these
That is a great idea too!!!! I didn''t know they sold the tiny little castanets!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (I also didn''t know they were called castanets! haha)

I''m not crazy about the color of those, but I do like the idea a lot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

M~

oshinbreez

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/13/2007 5:19:06 PM
Author: Mandarine
Date: 6/13/2007 5:16:16 PM

Author: oshinbreez

I was thinking what about a more formal invitation with castanets tied on a ribbon from the corner. I found these

That is a great idea too!!!! I didn''t know they sold the tiny little castanets!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (I also didn''t know they were called castanets! haha)

I''m not crazy about the color of those, but I do like the idea a lot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

M~

They''re kids toys. The real ones are too expensive.

What are your colors?

oshinbreez

Brilliant_Rock
Here''s a link for the cheapest castanets I''ve found. Castanets

Mandarine

Ideal_Rock
My colors are ivory, goldish tones and brown...

The real ones are very expensive...my beginner cheap ones were $20!!!.

I think we might have to stick to a lacy pretty fan! hehe

Thank you, you''re awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
9.gif

M~

enbcfsobe

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/13/2007 5:16:32 PM

Date: 6/13/2007 5:09:06 PM
Author: enbcfsobe
What about using iron ons and printing them on red hankies (simulating the bullfighter''s red flag thingy...).

If you want to recreate the folding fans you showed in the first sample, you don''t need to glue 2 pieces together front-to-back. You could just cut half-circles of the patterned heavy paper (I''m sure you can find some scrapbooking paper with a spanish feel or you could glue wrapping paper onto cardstock) and then cut smaller half-circles of gold doilies. Score (if necessary) where you want to fold, then fold, and you''ve got it.
If you want to get fancier you could use lace instead of doilies -- they make those round lace headcoverings for synagogues you could probably get somewhere...
wow you are good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
36.gif
36.gif

So do I print on the back of the patterned heavy paper?

M~
Hmmm... not sure about the printing. That might take a bit of practice to figure out, but it seems like you should print on the blank side of the decorative paper. Might be a good plan to print before cutting to avoid slippage in the printer, but I''m not all that experienced with printing invites... You could even print the cutting line onto the paper so you know exactly where to cut. Hmmm....

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
I would see if you could find some antique spanish postcards and use those.
It''s fun, and it obviously tells your guests you''re having a spanish theme. :)

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One way to make the fan-shaped cards with real lace:

Cut a large half-circle our of cardstock and fold it in half, so you now have a quarter-circle. For the lace part of the fan, use either inexpensive, wide, flat lace, or the woven edge of lace fabric. Cut a strip long enough so that the edge of the lace is as long as the circular part of your quarter-circle, and gather it at the bottom. cut a smaller quarter-circle of a heavier stock to cover the bottom of the lace. You can use either glue or wonder-under (or some other iron-on fusible) to stick the lace to the paper. You could also just cut a quarter-circle of lace, but you wouldn't ge the fancy edge that a real fan is likely to have.

An easier option: make one up like this using a nice, heavy-weight bridal lace, and scan, photoshop, and use that to print the rest of your fans. Or use a nice paper with a lace print (think wrapping paper or look in scrapbook supply stores).

As an alternative, can you somehow use a photo of your venue? Has it been around long enough that there are old photos of it available? You could write that you'll be getting married there, but that you hope your friends will also plan take advantage of the area...
21.gif

ZoeFL

Rough_Rock
Loves both the sandals & fan ideas! But I will go with the fan coz of your spanish theme! Best to make them fans in layers..with laces at each layer so it''s kinda like a dress woooooo!
9.gif

enbcfsobe

Brilliant_Rock
If you wanted to make it a little easier printing-wise, or wanted to use all fabric for the fans, you could attach a printed card with ribbon to the "handle" of the fan. That way you could print on small pieces of cardstock and wouldn''t have to worry about printing on funny-shaped or textured paper. Hmmm... You could even make it look like a dance card, if that is appropriate to a spanish theme at all...
This is good -- I need to start getting all creative and motivated about wedding stuff. This challenge has me started on the right track I think (not that I''m doing fans, but just thinking outside the traditional invitation ''box'' so to speak).

Mandarine

Ideal_Rock
You guys have great ideas!

I like the idea of maybe printing the card and doing the fan separately!!!!

I''m embarrassed to ask, but what is a dance card?
40.gif

I''m going to go to Michaels this weekend and think of ideas!...This should be fun!

M~

Mandarine

Ideal_Rock
Ok, I''m not by any means good at designing anything on the computer, but wanted to show you this idea to creat the fans.

I had this idea this morning and TRIED to draw it using Paint..hehe

what do you guys think? (not of my artwork but the actual idea..hehe)

M~

Idea-std-fan.JPG

enbcfsobe

Brilliant_Rock
I think a dance card is an old-fashioned card that ladies used to carry (don''t know whether it was attached to a fan or not) on which gentlement who wished to dance with them would write their names. Then the lady would go down the list as the songs played and dance with each of the guys on the list. Not sure if this jives with the spanish theme. I recall reading about it in Little Women, maybe?
I like your idea of doing fabric and printing on the paper. Might be worth getting something that would put grommets in (those little metal thingies that protect the hole and hold layers together -- not paper brads with the little pointy wings, but the ones like on the edge of a tarp) to fasten the whole thing...

Mandarine

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/14/2007 10:26:00 AM
I think a dance card is an old-fashioned card that ladies used to carry (don't know whether it was attached to a fan or not) on which gentlement who wished to dance with them would write their names. Then the lady would go down the list as the songs played and dance with each of the guys on the list. Not sure if this jives with the spanish theme. I recall reading about it in Little Women, maybe?
I like your idea of doing fabric and printing on the paper. Might be worth getting something that would put grommets in (those little metal thingies that protect the hole and hold layers together -- not paper brads with the little pointy wings, but the ones like on the edge of a tarp) to fasten the whole thing...

Yep, those little metal thingies is what I was thinking where I put the holes ("tags"). I didn't know they were called grommets! Thanks!
9.gif

Re: the dance cards, I don't know if that jives with Spanish theme either, but it sounds like it does, I would have to do alittle research to see exactly what you mean!...Thanks for all your ideas!!!!!!!!!!

M~

enbcfsobe

Brilliant_Rock
http://www.mixedpickles.org/dancecards.html

might be a little more complicated than I thought. I have never seen one -- I always assumed it was just a card. These look like booklets. Might be a little much, but you could just do a tag anyway -- no one will know! Or, you could attach a little tassel! That seems very spanish for some reason...

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
The fan with fabric sounds great! You can get grommets at the craft store. I think it involves a hammer and a punch. It looks much fancier than it is hard to do.

Mandarine

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/14/2007 10:52:36 AM
http://www.mixedpickles.org/dancecards.html

might be a little more complicated than I thought. I have never seen one -- I always assumed it was just a card. These look like booklets. Might be a little much, but you could just do a tag anyway -- no one will know! Or, you could attach a little tassel! That seems very spanish for some reason...

Thanks! That does look a little complicated!

I think we''ll stick with the tags!. I like the tassle idea (it is very spanish!), I would see what I can find at the craft store!. We are actually doing tassles instead of bows in the chairs!
9.gif

M~

Mandarine

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/14/2007 11:03:58 AM
Author: sumbride
The fan with fabric sounds great! You can get grommets at the craft store. I think it involves a hammer and a punch. It looks much fancier than it is hard to do.

A hammer and a pucnh sounds a little dangerous! hehe....My friend said she thinks there is actually a ltitle thing you can buy to put those on, no idea how much that would be, but it may be safer! hehe

M~

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
well, it is a little hammer...

Mandarine

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/14/2007 11:23:01 AM
lol, I guess you haven''t seen the damage I can do with even little tools
11.gif

I once cut my hand with a box cutter, right when someone said "be careful!", I said: "right, like I would cut myself!" (as I was accidentally cutting myself! hehe).

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/14/2007 11:24:47 AM

Date: 6/14/2007 11:23:01 AM
lol, I guess you haven''t seen the damage I can do with even little tools
11.gif

I once cut my hand with a box cutter, right when someone said ''be careful!'', I said: ''right, like I would cut myself!'' (as I was accidentally cutting myself! hehe).
Yeah, sometimes the things you expect to be safe are what get you. I had 4 stitches from a run in with a pizza cutter. my dad had 12 from a butter knife. But with real tools I''m careful!
2.gif

I looked up grommet setters online but only found big ones. I know they have little scrapbooking ones at the craft store though. and maybe if you don''t think of it as a hammer, it won''t scare you so much!

laine

Brilliant_Rock
Look for eyelets at a sewing store. It does require a hammer, but the eyelets come with the little tool, and it just takes one quick wack, and its set. I''ve only used them on fabric, but I assume they''d work on paper. There could be special paper ones though--someone else can correct me if I''m wrong.

For the fan, what about using a paper doily cut into quarters (so you have a quarter of a circle, like in your paint picture) instead of fabric. It would probably be faster and easier than cutting fabric, and still looks lacy, and would be easier to use an eyelet on. You''d have to try one to see, but it works in my head.

Here''s a picture of a doily so you can get the idea, you should be able to find gold ones.

doily2.jpg

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
wow, i never put so much effort into my std! wait till you get to all the other phases of planning..your STD brain storming will be a distant memory
emwink.gif

all amazing suggestions though and i''m really impressed with all the creativity and craftiness of everyone!

Mandarine

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/14/2007 1:49:23 PM
Author: janinegirly
wow, i never put so much effort into my std! wait till you get to all the other phases of planning..your STD brain storming will be a distant memory
emwink.gif

all amazing suggestions though and i''m really impressed with all the creativity and craftiness of everyone!

It''s fun though! It is the first thing anyone would "know" about your wedding :) I''m pretty much all set with everything else that is "big", except the caterer and DJ. I''m not having all the other stuff (bridal shower, rehearsal dinner, etc, etc).

I love all of the crafty ideas! You guys are very impressive!!!!!!!!!

Laine- I LOVED that, where would I find that?

M~

enbcfsobe

Brilliant_Rock
Paper doilies are usually available in the grocery store, near where they have the baking pans and such. A better variety, including gold, is probably available at your local party supply store.
You might need to layer the doilies with something else, though -- they are fairly thin. They''re made for going underneath a cake or cookies on a plate.

waves044

Rough_Rock
I second the vintage postcard idea! I think that making something like these into a postcard would be really cute! Especially one of the more beach scenes. It would incorporate the trip/vacation/beach aspect with the Spanish theme.

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/14/2007 2:37:03 PM
Author: waves044
I second the vintage postcard idea! I think that making something like these into a postcard would be really cute! Especially one of the more beach scenes. It would incorporate the trip/vacation/beach aspect with the Spanish theme.

This is my favorite picture. Not beachy though. Still Spanish...maybe it could be made into a fan? lol

spainparty.JPG

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
errr here it is bigger

I wanted to make it even bigger than this so you can see the detail, but I can't figure it out.
7.gif
Oh well

biggerspain.jpg

Mandarine

Ideal_Rock
36.gif

That is very Spanish!!!...not sure how I could make that into a fan though! hehe

Thanks you!!!!!

M~

laine

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/14/2007 2:17:29 PM
Paper doilies are usually available in the grocery store, near where they have the baking pans and such. A better variety, including gold, is probably available at your local party supply store.

You might need to layer the doilies with something else, though -- they are fairly thin. They're made for going underneath a cake or cookies on a plate.

Yeah, the doily definitely needs to be layered on something. You could even use spray adhesive to attach it to your quarter circle of cardstock and avoid the eyelet/grommet completely. You could just put the text on the back.

I would try party supply stores or the cake section of Michael's for doilies. If not, maybe a specialty baking or candy store (but I think the others will have them).

If you like the doily and want to simplify things, you could glue it to a square of cardstock (again, printed on the back) to minimize cutting. I'm attaching a really rough example, picture it in your wedding colors. Maybe add a tassel to the corner. Does it look fan like enough?

doilycut.JPG

laine

Brilliant_Rock
hopefully better picture:

doilynew.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results