shape
carat
color
clarity

Icy’s CS adventures

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Setting up a thread for what I suspect could be a long adventure into CS land... not sure what to expect since I’ve always looked at CS and not bought (much) in the past.

Hope to have lots of help and input from the experienced PS-ers here! :kiss2:

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Omg Squeeeeeee I'm so excited to see your stuff!!!!

Haha you need to post a few jade pics to start us out at least!

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Omg Squeeeeeee I'm so excited to see your stuff!!!!

Haha you need to post a few jade pics to start us out at least!

Lolol ok! Lemme see what I can find...
By the way how does Asiatique pricing compare to the usual vendors you have seen?

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I've checked out the Burmese sellers before at SIJE last year. Always the same names more or less. Lket me check if any are friends with my jeweller.

I still think the Bangkok fair has more variety and buys. It depends on what wares the exhibitors bring along with them.

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
I've checked out the Burmese sellers before at SIJE last year. Always the same names more or less. Lket me check if any are friends with my jeweller.

I still think the Bangkok fair has more variety and buys. It depends on what wares the exhibitors bring along with them.

Unfortunately hard for me to travel with kids and work being killer stressful. I’ve been to the Hong Kong fairs and it was FABULOUS!

And also so dazzling I didn’t know where to start lol.

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hmm is it like pearls... I paid some expensive lessons before realizing that I’m closer to source!

Yes. Also, fair price is different from close to source price if you aren't going for top of the line. But you need to know and be on good terms with the locals or intermediary.

My jeweller commented Thida Gems. Her friend. Very expensive. They have big rubies.

Just go browse :)

I hear you! That's why gem shopping is a good destressor :razz:

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I did see a few star sapphires last year but very pricey.

Try the Sri Lankan sellers? There's one from Kenya in the list of exhibitors. I'm curious to know what wares they would have!

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I was at the HK fair years ago before I got into CS. Was there for a dive expo actually to meet with my foreign scuba pals and some r&r. Can't get any better for top of the line but in HK!

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Yes. Also, fair price is different from close to source price if you aren't going for top of the line. But you need to know and be on good terms with the locals or intermediary.

My jeweller commented Thida Gems. Her friend. Very expensive. They have big rubies.

Just go browse :)

I hear you! That's why gem shopping is a good destressor :razz:

Thanks and noted re Thida Gems. I’ll see if I can take pics and share here...

I’ll love to have a nice ruby ring or earrings but I think I’ll start small/cheaper first... Any recs for spinels, moonstones, tsavorites or sapphires?

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Iirc I picked up my pair of Tahitian pearls from Angelina under Jp exhibitors. They are actually Taiwanese if that's the same exhibitor.

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
What colour spinels and sapphires?

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
What colour spinels and sapphires?

Red spinels and blue sapphires... I think. Omg I dunno enough to know for sure haha.

I love cabs and sugarloaf cuts. And pear and rounds. Do shapes make a difference?

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Naing I think are Muslim jewellers. They have a small shopfront selling souvenir grade at Sule Shangri-La in Yangon. They do more of house calls and fairs. Shall not comment further on them.

Local lab memos here, AGGL and Stalwart are the best regarded. For top or larger rubies they will come with the Gubelin or GRS memos they get from Hong Kong.

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Sugarloaves I'm told are meant to be faceted, until the cutter decides something within might not be suitable, hence just polish to cabs. So these tend to be of slightly better quality. But not always.

For red Jedi spinels I think it's tough to get a low price. Maybe for tiny ones they may be reasonable. So no real savings on that.

Sapphires hmm what sort of blue? Value wise Ceylon ones may really be better. Assuming no heat no treatment.

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Actually just go with a budget and if the CS is within budget and has a decent memo. Heck. Just get it.

Life is short and the fairs don't come by often.

Unless you start planning shopping trips to source countries.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
First stop is the upcoming local jewelry expo... to help navigate the show, can anyone recommend any of the exhibitors? They come from Hong Kong, Myanmar, Thailand, India, etc, so hoping some of the Asian based PS-ers can recommend some trusted vendors.

List of exhibitors: https://www.sije.com.sg/en/page/85/exhibitor-listing-2018.html

@Burmesedaze @mochiko42 @DiaDiva @Phoenix ... not sure who else... :roll2:

I looked quickly through the list and don't recognise most of them. Cannot recommend anyone, sorry. DeGem has amazing HUGE bling to look at but not to buy from (extraordinarily high prices, most certainly at a premium to the more well known PS vendors).

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I like talking to the Heritage Gems folks to compare stones and such. They also tell me what to keep an eye out for and what not to waste moolah on :)

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lolol ok! Lemme see what I can find...
By the way how does Asiatique pricing compare to the usual vendors you have seen?

I thought his pricing was very fair. I'd been looking around the usual vendors for a bright pink stone whether it be spinel or sapphire and the price seemed higher for just a loose stone only.

But I am only sensible within reason. As in I was sensible enough to get a memo but I simply don't have the time and the energy to analyse the stone to get the best value for money. I LOVED the look of that stone and ring so I got it as the memo gave me peace of mind that I wasn't buying pink glass and the price was not outrageous and within my budget. Does that make sense?

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I thought his pricing was very fair. I'd been looking around the usual vendors for a bright pink stone whether it be spinel or sapphire and the price seemed higher for just a loose stone only.

But I am only sensible within reason. As in I was sensible enough to get a memo but I simply don't have the time and the energy to analyse the stone to get the best value for money. I LOVED the look of that stone and ring so I got it as the memo gave me peace of mind that I wasn't buying pink glass and the price was not outrageous and within my budget. Does that make sense?

Absolutely. Anyway for retail hard to compare value for money. If the shoe fits and delights you, get it. Loving, liking and collecting gems cannot be rationalized and spliced into minutiae.

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
OMG!!!! You have SUCH a collection!

One day I will ask you to help me find a pair of very basic pearl earrings!

I am still stuck in these DEVIL screwback diamond studs because I don't have the energy to screw em off my
OMG!!!! You have SUCH a collection!

One day I will ask you to help me find a pair of very basic pearl earrings!

I am still stuck in these DEVIL screwback diamond studs because I don't have the energy to screw em off my ears!

I think you can reset the earrings. If they are simple studs, stock settings would do and won't cost that much.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Absolutely. Anyway for retail hard to compare value for money. If the shoe fits and delights you, get it. Loving, liking and collecting gems cannot be rationalized and spliced into minutiae.

Too true!

hehe the ULTIMATE sensible thing to do would be to not buy anything and keep buying property in Sydney! But that is not exactly thrilling! :lol:

Rare gem lover

Shiny_Rock
Trade
First stop is the upcoming local jewelry expo... to help navigate the show, can anyone recommend any of the exhibitors? They come from Hong Kong, Myanmar, Thailand, India, etc, so hoping some of the Asian based PS-ers can recommend some trusted vendors.

List of exhibitors: https://www.sije.com.sg/en/page/85/exhibitor-listing-2018.html

@Burmesedaze @mochiko42 @DiaDiva @Phoenix ... not sure who else... :roll2:

I’m going too! We should organise a singapore PS meet up! Maybe I’ll run into you there, I plan to go over the weekend

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
If any one is free tomorrow, there is this jewellery auction by Lawsons taking place at Mandarin Hotel. All the pieces look expensive but it would be fun to ogle them during the preview. I can’t go but maybe one of you ladies can check it out!

https://www.lawsgov.com

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results