shape
carat
color
clarity

I went dress shopping

amc80

Ideal_Rock
I went dress shopping with my mom and my MOH on Saturday. It was weird, it didn't really feel like I was wedding dress shopping...maybe more like prop dress shopping or something. My mom was a royal PITA, as expected. She tends to suck the fun out of most situations...generally by not being able to relax and just have fun. She's also very critical, so with EVERY dress I tried on there was an immediate criticism. Except for the one she picked out which 1) was ugly, and 2) looked horrible on me. My MOH and I finally had to tell her that if she doesn't like something, fine, but maybe preface the criticism with a compliment. You know, "I really like the fabric on that dress but I don't care for the beading." Sort of like general freaking etiquette that most people pick up FAR beyond the age of 58. Then she got upset that we said that and answered every question with "it's nice". Yeah, seriously. :(sad It was basically what I expected, since that's just sort of how she is, but I did have a small glimmer of hope that should would at least pretend to enjoy herself. Oh and my mom is actually a pretty good seamstress so of course she had many, many comments about how she would alter the dress.

I found a dress I really like but I'm having a hard time shelling out the $1,000 for it since I will be in it for just about 2 hours, no more (http://classifieds.weddingbee.com/topic/wedding-dress-for-sale-21). My #1 dress choice which was theoretically perfect (http://www.alfredangelo.com/collect...8c-cbf1-498f-afcf-dbfca138c5d3&pg=0&colorId1=) turned out to be pretty cheap looking. I mean, itwas inexpensive, but the "lace" wasn't even lace, it was like fabric with appliques glued on or something.

Then there was the dress that looked awesome on me...but I didn't really like the dress. So now I'm going to check out another store and see if they have something of a similar shape but with different finishings. I also need to go to DB to try on this dress: http://www.davidsbridal.com/Product...-WG3038_Bridal-Gowns-Shop-By-Silhouette-ShortSo that was my wedding dress shopping "fun."

suchende

Brilliant_Rock
I found a dress I really like but I'm having a hard time shelling out the $1,000 for it since I will be in it for just about 2 hours, no more

If your budget is $X of course you shouldn't over-spend but I don't really think it matters how long you're going to be in the dress -- the better question is, how many pictures of you in the dress will be taken, and how many years will people be looking at them? I don't think you need to spend $1k to get a beautiful and photogenic dress, of course.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
suchende|1309194330|2956277 said:
I found a dress I really like but I'm having a hard time shelling out the $1,000 for it since I will be in it for just about 2 hours, no more

If your budget is $X of course you shouldn't over-spend but I don't really think it matters how long you're going to be in the dress -- the better question is, how many pictures of you in the dress will be taken, and how many years will people be looking at them? I don't think you need to spend $1k to get a beautiful and photogenic dress, of course.

I think my problem is that, to me, the dress isn't really a huge deal. I've never really been that type of girl. I agree, the pics are important, but I think the looks we have on our faces, the scenery, etc. are more important in making a beautiful, memorable picture than the dress. I mean I get that for some girls it's all about the dress...but I guess it isn't just a priority for me.

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ugh, sorry to hear about the bad shopping experience with your mom. Unfortunately, I can relate. Therefore, I didn't include my mom in the dress shopping experience.

Nordstrom's websiite has some beautiful white and off-white dresses, many full length that look like traditional wedding dresses, for less than $500. If you live near a Nordstrom store, ask for a Personal Stylist (a free service) to pull all of the dresses that fit what you are looking for and have the items waiting for you!

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Update! I just went to DB at lunch. I tried on a few different dresses and I think I found the dress. Let me preface this by saying it looks much better in person and my hips aren't quite so big in person either. Well, they are, but they are balanced by my shoulders and boobies. This dress shows off my hourglass figure pretty nicely without being too form fitting. I'm definitely going to get some sort of jeweled thing on the boddice, like a jeweled belt except it won't actually be a belt.

Oh, and imagine it without the bodybugg on my arm :)

dress.jpg

KittyGolightly

Brilliant_Rock
You look absolutely beautiful!

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Went shopping again and found THE dress! Allure 2210.

dressupload.jpg

KittyGolightly

Brilliant_Rock
That's so exciting! Congratulations - you look beautiful in your dress!

lulu66

Brilliant_Rock
i love the dress you chose (allure)!! (of course, it is pretty darn similar to my wedding dress, so i might be biases :cheeky: ) but YAY! congrats on finding *THE* dress! did you buy it?? what kind of accessories?

tammy77

Brilliant_Rock
Oh I LOVE the second dress!! Congrats on finding "the one"!! :appl:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You look lovely! Congratulations!

amc80

Ideal_Rock
lulu66|1310418679|2966740 said:
i love the dress you chose (allure)!! (of course, it is pretty darn similar to my wedding dress, so i might be biases :cheeky: ) but YAY! congrats on finding *THE* dress! did you buy it?? what kind of accessories?

Thanks, everyone! Yep, bought it. As for accessories...I am wearing my hair half up and curled with a handband/tiara thing (I guess it's technically tiara but I'm not wearing it quite that upright (here- http://www.princessbridetiaras.com/Silver_No_Pearls_2/N089.php. With my hair sort of like this- http://www.princessbridetiaras.com/images/Silver_No_Pearls_2/N089/N089hair.jpg

I'm going to have a jeweled heirloom bouquet which is pretty blingy, so I don't want to add a whole lot of extra bling. I'm thinking about wearing my diamond stud earrings. I have a pink sapphire diamonds by the yard bracelet from Tiffany...I want to wear it since it's the first piece of jewelry my fiancé bought me (and he bought it for Valentine's Day).

My only question is do I wear a necklace? And if so, what kind? Keep in mind it's a morning wedding overlooking the beach. Suggestions?

slg47

Ideal_Rock
:appl: :appl: :appl: it looks great on you!

maybe try on some necklaces? if you do wear one I would go simple.

lulu66

Brilliant_Rock
that sounds gorgeous!

if it were me, i'd skip the necklace all together. but i think it depends on your personal style. i'm pretty simple day-to-day, so on my wedding for jewelry i only wore a pair of drop pearl earrings. but a necklace could look beautiful with your dress. totally up to you ;-)

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I like the Allure, and I think it shows off your figure even more than the DB one.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Love the Allure a definite winner! Congrats! No necklace here too!

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
The allure dress looks stunning on you!

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I would definitely wear a necklace! Something simple on a pretty short chain, like 16 inches, would probably work. I'd do either a strand of pearls or a white gold chain with a diamond, CZ, or colored stone in one of your wedding colors.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
jstarfireb|1311283904|2974057 said:
I would definitely wear a necklace! Something simple on a pretty short chain, like 16 inches, would probably work. I'd do either a strand of pearls or a white gold chain with a diamond, CZ, or colored stone in one of your wedding colors.

I was thinking about pears. Maybe even a single pearl pendant on a chain?

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Ha, pearls, not pears :)

So my dress was supposed to be delivered today...but as (bad) luck would have it they are repaving my street and Fedex couldn't get through ;(

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I think a single pearl drop pendant would be really nice. The key to pulling off a lot of wedding jewelry (tiara, earrings, necklace, etc.) is to keep each piece simple, so just don't overdo the necklace and you should be fine!

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm iffy on the necklace, only because the neckline of your dress is so pretty and I think sometimes a necklace breaks up the flow of the shoulders and neck, if that makes any sense at all. I think you should wear no necklace and a pair of dangling - sparkly earrings, particularly with your pretty hairdo.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
I guess I'll just have to try everything on and see what works. Oh darn. :)

BTW I just went to fedex and picked up my dress. It's in a surprisingly small box. Can't wait to get home and let 'er breathe!

4ever

Ideal_Rock
amc80, I think we have a pretty similar view on "the dress". Out of curiosity, how many did you try on before you purchased one? How did you feel when you found it?

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
post photos when it finally airs out!!

amc80

Ideal_Rock
4ever|1312167596|2981384 said:
amc80, I think we have a pretty similar view on "the dress". Out of curiosity, how many did you try on before you purchased one? How did you feel when you found it?

I tried on a lot...maybe 20 or so? 30? I'm not even that picky, but I wanted to find one I loved that was also venue appropriate (morning, beach). So I would have a dress on that I really liked, but it was just sort of ridiculous for the wedding. I was fairly set to get the DB one posted earlier in this thread...partially because I really liked it and partially because it would have been really easy to travel with (seeing how we are flying from Nevada to Florida). My maid of honor brought up a good point though, that I shouldn't pick a dress out of convenience. True true. On a whim we decided to go to one more store...where I found two dresses I loved. I had actually decided on another dress and put my dress on once more, just to see, and realized I liked it more. I didn't get the overwhelming emotional stuff that I see brides get on Say Yes to the Dress. It was more of a "I love this dress, it looks good, it's aprpopriate, it's in budget." More like buying a piece of furniture. It met all of my needs and looked good. But I'm not emotionally tied to my dress or anything. If something were to happen to it, my thoughts would be more of a "damn, now I have to find another dress" than a hysterical "OMG MY DRESS WHAT WILL I DO." Does that make sense?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results