shape
carat
color
clarity
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I was offered a (future seasonal) job at a jewelry store lol

Discussion in 'Hangout' started by whitewave, Dec 6, 2017 at 9:00 PM.

1. whitewave
    Ideal_Rock

by whitewave » Dec 6, 2017 at 9:00 PM
    I went to the "good" jewelry store in the city today (4th generation owned, etc) to pick up my antique earrings from repair and my daughter came with me. Long story short, the owner took us to play with the rings. We got to talking. I mentioned I was considering GIA online classes and she told me if I do that, to come work for them next Christmas season.

Might be fun?

Anyway, she knows I'm neither looking nor needing a job and that I am very a happily retired woman of leisure... still, I was quite tickled by her offer.

Might be a good way to dip a toe in the deep end.....

jadesilver, cflutist, RosieR and 9 others like this.
  2. redwood66
    Ideal_Rock

by redwood66 » Dec 6, 2017 at 9:03 PM
    That was cool for sure. It might be fun if you could do it part time so you still have time for leisure. :D

3. anne_h
    Brilliant_Rock

by anne_h » Dec 6, 2017 at 9:14 PM
    Do it!!!

4. monarch64
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by monarch64 » Dec 6, 2017 at 11:06 PM
    I think you’d really enjoy it. I’ve worked both full and part time in jewelry and loved it. Great discounts, and you get to play with sparklies all day, not to mention help people with very sentimental, sweet purchases. I miss everything but the retail hours! Really that’s the only negative, IMO.

Karl_K and whitewave like this.
  5. whitewave
    Ideal_Rock

by whitewave » Dec 6, 2017 at 11:07 PM
    @redwood66 @anne_h it is a very entertaining idea. I do have a background in retail, though I thought I left that behind in the dust. It is a very classy store, and might really be an interesting idea.

I am going to keep it in the back of my mind.

december-fire, Karl_K and redwood66 like this.
  6. whitewave
    Ideal_Rock

by whitewave » Dec 6, 2017 at 11:09 PM
    My DH was like "NOOOOOOOOOOO! not you in a jewelry store!!!!!" :)

They are closed on Sunday and likely close at 7, so the hours aren't that bad. I'll go have a look on Facebook and see what their holiday hours are.

I think I would love it.

7. Calliecake
    Ideal_Rock

by Calliecake » Dec 7, 2017 at 12:15 AM
    @whitewave LOL. Just mentioning working in a jewelry store would probably strike fear in many of our husbands.

december-fire and monarch64 like this.
  8. Bron357
    Shiny_Rock

by Bron357 » Dec 7, 2017 at 1:04 AM
    It would be fun, just a day or two a week for Month or so and take home your pay in jewelry!

december-fire and redwood66 like this.
  9. cflutist
    Ideal_Rock

by cflutist » Dec 7, 2017 at 1:49 AM
    @whitewave
    That would be such a fun job for you.

Back in the mid 1980s when I took my classes one had to complete classes in Diamonds, Diamond Grading (they mail you diamonds to grade and plot), Colored Stones, Colored Stone Grading, and Gem Identification.

There were proctored exams for each course. In the Gem I'D course they send you lots of colored stones for you to practice your use of refractometer, polsriscope, specific gravity fluids (Although they don't use those anymore because they are toxic), spectroscope , etc. You buy the instruments from GIA GEM instruments. The final is a 20 stone challenge where you have to correctly identify 20 unknown specimens, miss one and you fail. Wink and I have talked about that exam and he knew students that did fail that exam on the first try.

After you complete those 5 courses, then pass a comprehensive exam covering all 5 to earn your Gemologist.(GIA) Diploma. They have changed the courses since I took them.. I think that you take Diamond Essentials first, then Diamond Grading now. So while I had a full time job in software engineering and on-call responsibilities, it took me 3 years to complete all of the courses.

For me, Diamond Grading and Gem Identification took the most time because you are mailing stones back and forth. Lose one and you pay to replace it, and they didn't want any old diamond either as the diamonds sent to students were specifically chosen for grading practice.

Let us know what you decide.

10. Queenie60
    Ideal_Rock

by Queenie60 » Dec 7, 2017 at 2:14 AM
    Doesn't hurt to try! I "tried" my part time job last year after 24 years of being at home taking care of children and everything else. I love my job and couldn't imagine not having it. Part time is perfect, especially when you have a flexible schedule. I encourage you to give it a shot.

whitewave and december-fire like this.
  11. JmeeMrie
    Rough_Rock

by JmeeMrie » Dec 7, 2017 at 3:58 AM
    When we were e ring shopping I often thought what a fun job.. playing with diamonds all day..

whitewave likes this.
  12. Rockdiamond
    Ideal_Rock
    Trade

by Rockdiamond » Dec 7, 2017 at 7:21 AM
    Sounds like a great idea!
    You've gotten so much knowledge here you can probably show them a thing or two- even before you take GIA courses.

13. missy
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by missy » Dec 7, 2017 at 8:31 AM
    Whitewave I have one question...if you are an employee what is your discount on jewelry purchases there and does it extend to (PS) friends...:cheeky:
    :halo:

whitewave, december-fire and RosieR like this.
  14. december-fire
    Brilliant_Rock

by december-fire » Dec 7, 2017 at 10:31 AM
    @whitewave , congratulations on them making the offer!

They obviously saw the necessary traits in you; personable, well-spoken, intelligent, knowledgeable, love of jewellery, ability to interact with others in a positive manner. No surprises to any of us here.

As others have said, part-time sounds like a great way to spend time with a variety of jewellery, help people, and still have time to pursue other things. And heck yes to employee discount!

whitewave likes this.
  15. whitewave
    Ideal_Rock

by whitewave » Dec 7, 2017 at 11:05 AM
    Ain't that the truth!

16. whitewave
    Ideal_Rock

by whitewave » Dec 7, 2017 at 11:07 AM
    Thanks everyone! It is a fun idea.

I would do individual replies, but I am headed back to the Crater of Diamonds today to try again!!! :8 :)

I love the replies-- funny about the discounts and thanks @cflutist for the info

december-fire likes this.