shape
carat
color
clarity

I think I''ve picked a reception venue!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Jewels305

Shiny_Rock
We have looked at 4 places and FI and I both agree about which one we like best. The wedding coordinator is incredible, and I just know that having a coordinator that is so on the ball will put us all at ease and make everything more enjoyable for us while we plan. My only problem with the room is that I don''t like the chairs paired with the carpet... I know it''s silly, but it''s just too much pattern. I can get chair covers for around $6 each but it would end up being a significant amount of money... everyone is telling me I am being ridiculous and that they aren''t bad.

I am so nervous to take the next step and ask to sign the contract, but I know I have to before we lose the date. I think it''s just commiting to spending the money is a difficult thing for me to do. I also contacted the church and should be receiving a call back from the Pastor on Thursday or maybe Friday. We want to get married in my church but my family isn''t crazy about the new Pastor there, so I would like to see about having a different Pastor (who is retired but has a relationship with my family) do the service in my church. Not sure how the new Pastor will feel about that, and it''s going to be uncomfortable to ask. Maybe I should just go with the new Pastor and get over it?

I also asked my best friend to be my maid of honor and she is very excited about this new role
1.gif
And another friend has said she will be a bridesmaid. I will be asking 2 more of my friends to be bridesmaids, but I want wait so that I can do it in person.

After the booking the reception venue and church, I don''t really know what to do next. How soon should I begin looking at wedding dresses/bridesmaid dresses? I don''t want to do it too early, but I also don''t want to wait too long. I am *hoping* to finalize everything for 10.10.2010.
5.gif

Barcelona

Shiny_Rock
Is the quote for chair covers from your venue or a rental company? It''s possible you might get a better rate through your venue. Also, $6 for chair covers seems very expensive. I was able to rent chivari chairs for $7 and this was in Chicago. Not sure if you''re in a large metro area or not.

I''m assuming the retired Pastor is the one from your church. If so, I don''t see why that wouldn''t be a problem if he has a long term relationship with your family. I''m sure the staff and the new Pastor would understand.

As for dresses, it really depends on the designer you''re looking at. Certain designers, Eve of Milady for example, can take 9-11 months to arrive. Whereas some can take only 3 or 4 months. Bridesmaids dresses should only take 3 or 4 months at maximum. Although you might want to check JCrew or Ann Taylor as they have bridesmaids dresses readily available and sometimes cheaper than certain BM dress designers.

Sparkalicious

Ideal_Rock
Congrats on finding a place you love! With regards to the chair covers, if you want them ... do them. Just search around to see if you can find better pricing, if possible. Once you are comfy - sign that contract so that you don''t lose your great date!

Don''t think that the Pastor should have a problem with your request. It''s a fair assumption that because of family ties and this intimate event, that your family would like the other pastor to assist if he is willing.

With regards to next steps ... if you haven''t already, I would suggest that you start looking at interviewing and booking your other major vendors - photographer, florist, videographer etc. Whilst doing this you can start browsing online at different dresses you like and possibly going to different salons to try on different dress shapes to get a better idea of what shape/style is most flattering for you. As the months pass you should figure out exactly what you are looking for and then be able to search out where has it so you can target those salons for official dress shopping visits.

Good luck! Sounds as though you are doing great so far! yay!
35.gif

Jewels305

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for responding, Barcelona! I know, the price for the chair covers surprised me too! The chair covers are through the venue, and they rent from a company. It''s actually $6.30 a piece and from what I can remember I think that may include a surcharge for them putting them on the chairs and tying the bows. At that price for roughly 150 guests, it''s about $1,000 and when I think of where else that money could be spent, it makes me feel like I should just deal with the chairs the way they are.

I was thinking that this summer would be the best time to start looking at wedding dresses, and that would actually be a little over a year, so I guess it would be on target for the time frame you suggested. I was also thinking of looking for the bridesmaid dresses in August since that''s when everyone will be in the area, but maybe I should hold off on that a little while.

Jewels305

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Sparkalicious! I will do some research into the chair covers to see if I can possibly find a better option.

As for the Pastor, it''s a tricky situation because the current Pastor was out for a year on sabbatical, and the Pastor that we have a relationship with was the substitute at my church during that time. While he was there, my grandfather passed away, and that''s when we met him, because he did the service. He is very nice-- we actually have contacted him since and he has performed another memorial service for our family. Since he took over the current Pastor''s church for a short time I feel as though my asking about him doing the service will seem like an insult. Maybe it''s not a big deal in the end, but I am going to feel uncomfortable asking.

Sparkalicious

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/9/2009 10:30:11 PM
Author: Jewels305
Thanks Sparkalicious! I will do some research into the chair covers to see if I can possibly find a better option.

As for the Pastor, it''s a tricky situation because the current Pastor was out for a year on sabbatical, and the Pastor that we have a relationship with was the substitute at my church during that time. While he was there, my grandfather passed away, and that''s when we met him, because he did the service. He is very nice-- we actually have contacted him since and he has performed another memorial service for our family. Since he took over the current Pastor''s church for a short time I feel as though my asking about him doing the service will seem like an insult. Maybe it''s not a big deal in the end, but I am going to feel uncomfortable asking.
You are welcome, Jewels! Happy to help. I was overwhelmed when I started planning as well and PSers were kind enough to lend a helping hand and it really helped me navigate the process.

I hear what you are saying about the Pastor being a sticky situation. Not easy but a reasonable request. I think that maybe if you express your discomfort to your Pastor and provide your reasoning, it should be just fine. It''s a very good reason and quite rational. I''m thinking that your Pastor will empathize and be pleased to step aside. I hope that that is the case anyways, however, in the interim, it doesn''t make it any more comfortable to discuss it with him, right?

What type of chair covers are you looking for ... maybe if you start a new thread and provide a picture etc, some other PSers will be able to help out with which chair cover vendors might be more economical?? For $6/chair, it seems to me that you might be able to get yourself some chiavari chairs and not have to worry about the ones you don''t like period and not have to get chair covers.

Mediterranean

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/9/2009 10:36:37 PM
Author: Sparkalicious
Date: 3/9/2009 10:30:11

What type of chair covers are you looking for ... maybe if you start a new thread and provide a picture etc, some other PSers will be able to help out with which chair cover vendors might be more economical?? For $6/chair, it seems to me that you might be able to get yourself some chiavari chairs and not have to worry about the ones you don''t like period and not have to get chair covers.

Sparkalicious, that''s a good idea re: the chairs. I went w/ the chiavari chairs for that reason, and they were $6 each, which was comparable to the quotes I was getting for covers. The $6/ea. included cushions (white) and set up/tear down.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results