shape
carat
color
clarity

I think I found the dress! But, alterations?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ts44

Brilliant_Rock
After having visited all the little boutique stores in my area and not finding anything that made me absolutely sure it was the dress I wanted to wear, as a last-ditch effort my sister and I went to this giant bridal store 45 minutes away. It is an unstoppable bridal juggernaut, they carry like 11 designers, have a separate couture department for anything over 2,000, and entire departments for bridesmaids, mother of the bride, AND they can do wedding planning and cakes and florals and everything else. Well, I wasn''t interested in any of that but I did want to see their selection because they carry some designers that nobody else in the area does (the woes of a small-town bride).

Here is the link to the designer''s website: Alvina Valenta 9954

It''s whiter than I wanted, as the silk shantung only comes in white, but they face the underside of it with a different color like oyster (a cool greyish ivory) or vanilla (a slightly darker and warmer peachy cream) so it subtly shows through the silk, to beautiful effect especially in evening light.

So when I told them that I think this is the one, they said that the price includes alterations, and that if I wanted to take my alterations somewhere else (because it''s 45 minutes away) they would take some off the price. I asked them how much their flat rate for alterations is, and they said $600, which seemed awful high to me. It also seems strange that a place would tack on a flat rate for alterations, given how individual that sort of thing is, since one bride could only need $100 in alterations, and the next one could need $1,000 depending on the dress.

I have the option of ordering it through another salon that''s 20 minutes away, but my experience there was less than satisfactory. They billed themselves as a *very* high-end salon, but even though their shop is well-appointed, the people who work there are less than competent. I made an appointment, and discovered that they don''t block time for appointments and just book over anybody else who wants that time slot. So I had to share an attendant with 4 other people! The dressing room was the size of a closet and nobody was removing dresses from it and hanging them back up, so it filled rapidly, nobody was available to help me get the dress zipped/laced/clamped, I would have to walk out half-dressed and search for an employee. My maid of honor helped me more than they did. There were two mirrors, and no rhyme or reason to whom was using which. Suffice to say, a very disappointing experience, and I would really rather not order through them, but if they can give me a better price... I don''t know. The larger salon''s employees and owner were really great, but I dont want to overpay. What is a general range for alterations? Do you think a $600 flat fee is acceptable?

rhbgirl24

Ideal_Rock
It depends on what YOU think you''re going to need done for that dress. Does it still fit w/in your budget with the $600 added on? I would not go to the other salon given your previous experience with them though. I''d rather pay more for someone I know is good!

cleokizzy

Brilliant_Rock
that''s a beautiful gown!
30.gif

$600 sounds a bit too much BUT with the kind of pleating that gown has, 600 may just be around the right cost of alteration. the pleats are placed in a different way that there must be some form of special alteration that would need to be done. this is just IMO though, i''m not really a seamstress here.

if i could get the dress & alterations all in one place, i would really prefer it that way. better than running around between two sites...

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Agreed with both of the other girls. I know this store is farther away, but they've obviously been nothing but helpful with you!

I know there was an alterations thread awhile back in terms of discussing cost...I'm gonna see if I can find it.

ETA: Linky

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
I agree with them. This isn''t the place to skimp. I think you get what you pay for, so if you had a negative experience with one place that would be cheaper, but a positive experience at the more expensive place, I''d just stick with the expensive one. As we know from some horror stories on this forum, bad alterations or inept staff can lead to a lot of pre-wedding nightmares. You''re more paying for peace of mind.

ts44

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the advice, ladies. I do definitely want to go with the salon that treated me better. Would it be considered rude if I asked them if I could order the dress through them and then pay for however much alteration I really needed? The sample size I tried on was essentially the size I would need, it fit everywhere except the hem and a tiny bit to be taken in at the bust. I feel like unless my bustle is going to be redonk complex (and it''s only a sweep train), $600 is a lot to pay, especially since the thread vc10um linked says that the high-end NYC salons generally charge $500. Cleveland is NOT a NYC-type market!

The alterations would put me about $400 over-budget, so it''s not hugely over budget but I''d like to A) have a fair price and B) keep costs down where I can since I know something that''s entirely beyond my control will go over budget at some point. Am I just being too nitpicky?

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/19/2009 5:00:13 PM
Author: ts44
Thanks for the advice, ladies. I do definitely want to go with the salon that treated me better. Would it be considered rude if I asked them if I could order the dress through them and then pay for however much alteration I really needed? The sample size I tried on was essentially the size I would need, it fit everywhere except the hem and a tiny bit to be taken in at the bust. I feel like unless my bustle is going to be redonk complex (and it's only a sweep train), $600 is a lot to pay, especially since the thread vc10um linked says that the high-end NYC salons generally charge $500. Cleveland is NOT a NYC-type market!

The alterations would put me about $400 over-budget, so it's not hugely over budget but I'd like to A) have a fair price and B) keep costs down where I can since I know something that's entirely beyond my control will go over budget at some point. Am I just being too nitpicky?

I definitely don't think it's rude or unreasonable to ask them if you can pay by the alteration as opposed to a super high flat fee. I think $600 is kind of a crazy amount to pay for alterations. My alterations were either $300 or $400 (I totally forget and it was only a few months ago!) and that involved taking in the dress almost 2 sizes (bought a sample that was too big), adding bra cups, hemming it, reworking the place where the bodice meets the skirt, etc. Plus my dress had a totally separate corset underneath and at least 3 different skirt layers so all that had to be altered, too. I'm in Virginia so also not an NYC-type market.

I would just be honest and tell them that $600 is too much to pay for alterations since the sample fit you well, and that you'd rather buy the dress from them than Crappy Store X, but you're unwilling to overpay for alterations you don't need. The worse they can say is no!

ETA gorgeous dress, too!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results