shape
carat
color
clarity

I "stole" my girls ring and traced a circle on a piece of paper for size...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Greg G

Rough_Rock
Can I measure the size from this or do I need to take it to a jewlery store?

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have no idea Greg, but I have to give you mucho credit for being as innovative & imaginative as you're being.
appl.gif

I would think that if you took the drawing they could somehow measure it at the jewelry store. Try putting on the ring at some point. Maybe when she goes into the shower? Then either put a pen mark there or measure it yourself & document it for later reference.

Judy
:)

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Greg,

Check out the chart on the bottom of this page. It might help.

http://www.goodoldgold.com/settings.htm

Rhino

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I would not ask a jeweler to resize a ring from this - because it will probably need to be done again and every resize makes the shank 5-10% thinner.

Besides she probably wears that ring on a different finger - left to right hands are usually different sizes.

You can measure the inside diameter with a vernier or micrometer acrss 3 different directions and average it
1.gif

DiamondOptics

Shiny_Rock
Maybe, she has some other rings lying around, which fit on that special finger. You could always use one of those as a reference.

Kirk Konst

Greg G

Rough_Rock
The ring is the one she wears on her other hand on the same finger. Way back when I had her try it on the engamement ring finger and it fit abut the same. The problem is that it's a bit big on both fingers. This is for an initial purchase so it's not about resizing. I figure if it's a bit big I can get it trimmed down a bit once I give it to her. I did try it on my little finger and it got stuck just below my knuckle so I should be able to get some idea. Cool chart Rhino - I think I need a more acurate ruler though
1.gif

Thanks for your responses!

-Greg

DiamondOptics

Shiny_Rock
Make an Impression
If she’s in the habit of leaving any of her rings lying about, make an impression of one. A bar of soap, a piece of clay or even a piece of bread can be used to take a reliable measurement.

Put it in Writing
You could even trace the inside of the ring on a piece of paper which the jeweler can then use to determine an accurate measurement.

Try it on for Size
Simpler still, just put one of her rings on your own fingers. Push it down as far as it will go and then mark the spot with a pen. Then just show the marking to your jeweler who can measure it for you.

What are Friends For
A friend of your loved one can be of great assistance in this particular endeavor. It's not uncommon for one friend to ask another for their ring size as a matter of curiosity. Just be sure you choose a friend who can keep a secret.

The Real Thing
If you can bring one of her rings to the jeweler without arousing any suspicion, this will probably be the safest course of action. Offer to take her jewelry to be cleaned and have the jeweler measure her ring at the same time.

Kirk Konst

justme

Shiny_Rock
Kirk -

I really Love your first 3 ideas (1st one GREAT!) on ways to get a ring size without GF knowing - but the last two ... I don't know.

It has happened on RARE occasions (were in a jewelry store is about the only time really) that my friends and I have discussed ring size but again it's been rare. This would have to be done VERY smoothly to not arouse my suspicion!

And the last suggestion would definitely put all engagement ring sensors on alert!

Not being critical - just telling you how I would respond.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think what Garry meant is that if you have the ring resized at all, it weakens the shank each time you do it. So you should try to avoid a resize...period. Meaning...try to get an accurate measurement so that it fits the first time...if the ring she wears on that other hand, same finger is too big, and you say the hands are similar, then this ring will be too big too. Take into account knuckles too! Other hands can often be different sizes as well though it may not be visible and the size difference may be as small as 1/4 of a size but it can make a difference. My ring finger is a 6, but I cannot fit my ring on that same finger on my right hand, its a tad too small. Won't go over the knuckle. I used to wear size 7 rings on my ring finger and thought that was the size..but it was really a 6. So 'fun' rings are not the same as an e-ring...you need to be sure it fits correctly. Measure her finger while she is sleeping!
2.gif

Kirk--where are you getting those ideas? From a book or a website? If so, please post for us to visit, because I saw your proposal ideas on the other page as well...I'm very curious to know where they came from so I can check them out! If they are yours..you are very innovative!
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results